Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 17:15

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Character Builds  |  Melee Builds  |  Antagonist build (20 barb/4 bard/16 pm)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Antagonist build (20 barb/4 bard/16 pm)  (Read 7017 times)
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« on: 12 July 2010, 21:44 »

Ok, so by request I've decided to share my Antagonist build. This is pretty much a copy/paste of what I sent NLawson in a PM about a year ago, when he asked for the build right before I stopped playing.

-----------

Ok, so I don't usually write down a lot of stuff to guide me to lvl 40 with the builds I make. I just make them on a local test module first and do the online version by memory, so this may be a little inaccurate.

Build Class Level Spread: 20 Barbarian/4 Bard/16 Palemaster

Now, you might be thinking (epic rage feats without epic barb? yes, the only prequesties are the stats (25 str for thundering and 21 str/con for mighty) and epic character level (meaning total level of 21+). Same goes for Palemaster. It says requirement for Epic Warding (i think) is ability to cast lvl 9 spells, but you only need to be high enough character level to cast them. strange, i know.

Creation:

Race: Dwaf

Stats:

Str: 17
Dex: 10
Con: 18
Int: 13
Wis: 8
Cha: 6

Those were my starting stats (which I regret, cos I could have made it fine with 8 dex and put 1 more point in int for more skillpoints and still get full dex bonus in plate).

Chaotic Neutral to avoid smites (although true neutral would work as well, i guess).

Feats:

Feats pre epic:

Pre epic feats order is not significant. take them whatever order you want.

Weapon Focus
Blindfight
Heavy Armor Proficiency
Improved Critical
Expertise
Improved Expertise
Knockdown

Epic Feats:

Great Str II (second priority)
Great Con I (third priority)
Epic Weapon Focus (first priority)
Epic Mage Armor (taken at lvl 39 when taking last PM lvl)
Thundering Rage (first priority when requirements are met)
Mighty Rage (taken at lvl 36 when taking the 21st point in Con)

Epic PM Feat:

Epic Energy Resistance of your choosing (I chose acid because a lot of mobs have acid sheath, though I imagine fire and cold are equally useful).
Epic Warding

I buildt up str to 25 first (then 26 for the extra AB, though you can get mighty rage 3 lvls sooner if you ignore the odd number and skip right to con) and took Thundering Rage for the 2d8 sonic damage and extra hit, as I find that more useful for leveling. As of today I still don't have Mighty Rage. I'll get that at lvl 36 when I get the last point of Con I need.
Epic Warding/Mage Armor I'll get at lvl 39, when I'll get the last generic epic feat + lvl 16 PM (gets class feat every 3 lvls) feat.
The last level will be Bard for maximizing disc, taunt, 40 tumble, 33 UMD and putting whatever leftover skill points I get into concentration to avoid taunt (think I'll get around 35 points in it).
Also, remember to put 34 points into Spellcraft before lvl 16 PM or you won't be able to take Epic Warding. Mage Armor requires less, but that's irrelevant since you still need 34 for warding.

Leveling Order:

1-18 Barbarian (for maximized base attack bonus, as the gain is lower post epic).
19-21 Bard
22+ PM until prequesties for Thundering is met, and you get a generic epic feat (every 3 lvls), then take lvl 19 barb + thundering.
Continue PM until lvl 36 (or 33, as mentioned above) when you have met the Mighty Rage prequesties, and take lvl 20 barb.
Then continue PM again until lvl 16 PM @ total toon lvl 39 and grab epic warding/mage armor.
Level 40 is bard for skillpoint dumps.

Final words:

Your weapon focus doesn't have to be battleaxe, like I have. You *can* opt for an exotic weapon, though I don't recommend it, as you'd have to give up one of the pre epic feats for exotic weapon prof, and they're all pretty vital.
If you have an awesome 1h martial/simple weapon, then use that.

Personally I found battleaxe to be easy, as the Greater Corrosive Axe is sold by the Edoras smithy for 2.8 million gold (or something along those lines) and has +5, keen, massive crits, 1d8 fire, 1d6 acid.
Both Dimba's and Bilgash's axes are bad for barb builds, although their damage modifiers are higher/better types. That's because they have sonic damage, which doesn't mix with thundering rage bonus damage.

Also, You'll want to use gear with bludg/divine resistance at high level, to counter the innate vulnerabilities that come with 10 lvls of Palemaster. Shagrat (easy boss in cirith ungol tower) drops a chest with 10 bludg resist, 5 slash resist and +3 con (and cast endurance 1/day).
I don't know what item to use to cover divine resist, other than the one I use (barad dur boss chest with 10 bludg/slash resist and 5 divine resist). That one might be a little tricky to get your hands on, though, so I'd farm Shagrat instead.

Also, be prepared for a slow leveling, as you'll be getting 20% xp penalty from lvl 19 when you take your first bard level. However, once you reach 40, you'll be the proud owner of your very own beast, which will be able to solo a lot of bosses (sistra, saruman, corsair city, all 3 edoras tombs, wraith guard, underground lake and so on).

It's not paranoia if someone's out to get you!
Spukky12

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2010, 18:55 »

I've had multiple people tell me this is a very solid build and in trying it out I can confirm that it is - thanks again for posting!
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2010, 23:33 »

You're welcome.  Smiley

EDIT: Oh, and as mentioned, I wrote this build up a year ago, and the part about Dimba's axe being bad for barbs is wrong, as they've changed the sonic damage to another type (dunno which, but as long as it's not sonic it's pretty good for barbs). Not sure about Bilgash's.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2010, 23:36 by Khaine » Logged

Spukky12

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2010, 14:42 »

I'll keep that in mind, though for now i'm just using a battleaxe +3 from the minas tirith armory  Grin

Edit: Do you get Dimba's axe in the same place you get the Greater Corrosive Axe? Oh and what is the level req.?
« Last Edit: 15 July 2010, 01:06 by Spukky12 » Logged
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2010, 16:51 »

You get Dimba's axe from Dimba, in the strange cave underneath Minas Tirith. It's a fairly tricky area to get through, unless you invis past it all, and it drops only rarely.
I would assume the level requirement is around 21, but I'm not sure. It might be higher to stop UMD, it might be lower...

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2010, 16:55 »

Dimbas axe has yet to be changed - still has sonic damage on but I also believe this weapon is UMD'able.
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2010, 17:21 »

I found out today from loc that Dimba's axe hasn't had sonic damage changed, but the barbarian requirement has been removed...it's still no use to a barbarian, but it's a bit more useful to others now.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Spukky12

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2010, 21:17 »

Question - I just hit level 36 and am confused as to whether or not I should take mighty rage - it ups your greater rage from +4 strength +4 con +2 will saves to +8 str +8 con +4 will saves, yeah? But wearing my current equips I have 36 strength without rage at all, and my strength seems to be capping at around 38, likewise with con, so it wont go any higher. Should I still take mighty rage even though it wont increase my strength further, or switch it out for another feat?
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2010, 21:20 »

http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm1/wiki/index.php/Mighty_Rage

Take it for the +5 ab - its pretty uber.

http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm1/wiki/index.php/Barbarian
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2010, 21:28 »

As firecracker said, take it. It gives you +5 ab and 1 more attack towards the +4 attacks per round from barb rages cap (to +4 attacks, if you already have thundering). When using the rages, use mighty first, or it'll do nothing.

Spukky12

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2010, 01:34 »

Ahhh I hadn't realized it was a separate use rage, I thought it was like thundering in that it just improved your existing one - thanks! Level 37 now, its going very well.. so well that i'm starting to yell "IN THE FACE!" when I crit hit the eagles in Ered Lithui haha. This build just gets cooler and cooler  Grin
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2010, 02:45 »

When you get epic warding and mage armour your combat ability takes another jump, and it becomes easier to take on larger mobs without being swamped.

It's a fun build, but it really does take a lot of damage when you try to tank a proper area (like Barad Dur) with it, because it just doesn't have the stats for that sort of thing.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: