Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 April 2024, 01:21

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  GvM Map
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: GvM Map  (Read 18328 times)
Ozric

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2011, 19:14 »

Hello guys and gals, I've only just started playing on this server and this map has been invaluable to me!!

Well done all who helped make it.

There is just one thing I would request and that is the level guides for each of the areas is an amazing idea but most of the areas don't have level guides on them.  This doesn't matter most of the time because the people on the servers are so helpful that they can tell me where to go, but sometimes i would be nice to be able to find out straight away when I'm on my own  wink
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2011, 20:38 »

Generally speaking, the further away from a city it is (geographically, not by counting how many maps you pass through), the harder it is. Areas like Emyn Arnen, Anorien, Harad, and Moria follow this rule. The deeper you go, the worse it gets (especially Moria, if you go deep enough you can find the Balrog, or a rather nasty group of hipsers led by a guy I believe is called Bilgash).
The exception to this rule is faction areas, which tend to get EASIER the further away you go from that faction's city. Places like Edoras, Helm's Deep, Pelargir, Ethring, Linhir, Belfalas, Shelob's lair, the Spirit's lair and Cirith Ungol tend to follow this rule.

The reason that map counting doesn't work is that the corsairs at Belfalas, despite being closer to MM (by maps) than the Haradrim and the Corsair City, are weak, when you would expect them to be stronger. Geographically, they are further away than those two places (because Belfalas is MILES on the other side of Minas Tirith). The map Sest and Nobu created is very accurate, geographically speaking: maps that are far away from each other geographically, but have shortcuts to link them directly, are connected by long lines. Maps that are close geographically are shown side-by-side. Mordor faction areas are highlighted in red, whereas Gondor ones are blue. This makes it REALLY easy to see which places are likely to be the strongest, if you know the trends.

TL;DR
Just be careful of famous places (either from books, movies, or famous on the server) - they're either famous because they're great training spots, or because they're going to rip you in half if you're not prepared.

As you said - if in doubt, ask somebody. Most of the time, if you tell people where you plan to go, they won't let you blindly walk into a hugely dangerous area without some idea of what you're up against.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2012, 17:23 »

Since the game has really taken my interest again, I have updated the map and some bosses.
Unfortunately I can't attach it so only a DM can do it..let me know and I will send it.
Also here are some things I have noticed:
*Gorgoroth/Mt. Doom section is pretty empty except the Elder Elementals, it could be featuring a Fell Beast roost/lair?
Seeing a lot of rats there named Sauron, maybe the actual guy could be forging something?
*The Drow/Troglodyte section: I never go there anymore since it is a long haul, so maybe relocating it back to the Spider cave where it was instead of Moria?
*Rhovanion is ridiculously hard (Windstorm doing 980 divine damage instakill?), all spawns have "Impossible" label.
*Henneth is really tough: Peacekeeper hits like a freight train & Ithilien archers make you look like a pincushion and they're not even bosses!
*Tom, Bert & William Huggins at Weathertop could be given a quest to give the area more incentive.
*Still missing in the mod: Tom Bombadil, Gandalf & the remaining 2 blue wizards (Saru & Rada are there).
*Mystery of the missing Ent Wives: maybe Treebeard's spouce Fimbrethil is still somewhere?
*with some bosses you still can't see what the drop rate is.
*pins for exit areas on all maps would be really helpful.
Maybe more ideas will come when CEP 2.5 is out (including rideable brownies).
« Last Edit: 27 November 2012, 17:32 by Chaozrulez » Logged

Keep'em rollin'
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2012, 18:36 »

I'd be right there playing with you chaoz, except I've already given up looking for my cd keys twice now :p Third time's the charm, right?

To address some of the stuff that I know about (assuming it hasn't changed), parts of henneth were always slightly annoying to solo with the hipsing archers and the PK, although I don't remember anything in particular being broken about them.

Rhovanion desert was always meant to be a challenge, requiring multiple characters in the 30-34 (or 35? don't remember) range. Although when Nlawson and I made toons designed to duo it, we realized my character was capable of soloing it >.<. The impossible label just refers to the level difference between you and the mob, don't see anything inherently wrong about that. If you're getting hit for 980 divine damage, I'm going to guess you're failing a save vs one of their spells.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2012, 19:14 »

- The Mt Doom map is pretty much for The One Ring quest I believe. Something other than the elemental spawn if you get that far.

- As far as I am aware, the Drow/Trog areas are permantently lost in this version of the mod - I think something broke with them last time I asked one of the DMs and it has completely gone.

- Rhovian is meant to be hard (best wizard staff comes from there) but at the same time with a very good specific build it should be solo'able, but have yet to try it - I guess that 980 damage is the new death magic script in effect (from finger of death spell)?

- Henneth I think is ok (frightened of making too many places too easy) - it is solo'able with a couple of toons, but is more of a party area.

- Weathertop , similar to Mt Doom - hah, you wan't to see that map when doing the One Ring quest Smiley

- I noticed one or two bosses with no drop rate too - Maynard is one I can think of.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 November 2012, 03:38 »

Rhovanion I don't know anything about.  Mt Doom and Weathertop get very busy during the ring quest.  Drow was essentially converted to Rivendell.  I forgot that the trogs weren't connected to anything - they should still exist.  The Rangers of Ithilien weren't distinctly represented anywhere in the mod, and it only made sense that a clandestine group in Mordor territory would be tough.  Though Marcus always reminded me that my areas tend to be easy.

I wonder why Maynard has no drop rate.  It is only supposed to show for NPCs above level36 or something like that, but I figured he'd have a Cr of at least that much.

The death magic scripts were sort of a test, but have become more permanent.  Maybe those of you who have used them for a while can comment on their plusses and minuses in the Future Talk forum for me.
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 November 2012, 09:56 »

Thanks guys, I have never actually done The One Ring Quest and who gives that or if it's a DM event.

I understand Rhovanion to be tough because of the good drops (I never got any), but if you give an NPC a way of instakill (yeah I missed a Reflex save 30 vs DC 37, maybe change the 980 to half so you got at least a change) and the commander gives continuous 300 crits then it's almost unplayable.
And let's face it, compared to us mortals if there are some guys who can solo areas Sest is the first who comes to mind...if there is only one build who can solo there then what's the point?
Also I put Deathward up, shouldnt Finger of Death not work then?

Let me know to whom I can send the revised map (still a work in process) so a DM can post it here.
For new players, we could also add pins to the map to NPCs who give quests for XP...

Hi Terror, if you still have time to work on shifters scripts about the weapon properties not merging into dragon shape:
-Vampire Axe Deflection AC does not merge
-Stinger Lord Dire Mace STR/CON bonuses do not merge
« Last Edit: 28 November 2012, 11:13 by Chaozrulez » Logged

Keep'em rollin'
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 November 2012, 13:05 »

Rhovanion, if I remember correctly, has those mages who use scrolls to put up mantles etc. They're a pain in the ass because mages waste spells dispelling their mantles, most of our spells do little or nothing (making them hard to kill), and if you don't dispel them they're painful to attack.

Our combo was an undead shifter tank and a mage to fire off Neg energy burst (to heal him), but we found out that if you built the wraith tank right he could cast his own NEBs to heal himself faster than they hurt.
Of course, if your buffs completely drop or you get unshifted for whatever reason, you're dead. We never did get that staff, either...

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 November 2012, 19:57 »

The Ring Quest is given by one of the Hobbits in MT - Peregrin Took I think (without logging in and checking). If you go talk to him with a level 40 or very high 30 then he won't respond. Go talk to him with a mid 20s toon then you may get a response (doesn't happen every reset) and that kicks off the quest, so essentially the quest carrier can't be a very high level toon.

We tried it a few weeks ago and kind of failed as my toon was the carrier and was worse than useless for that quest.

Death magic immunity will not grant immunity with the new script - it will just raise your save by 5 or 10. However I have found that if you have immunity up then the AI usually wont bother trying to cast death magic spells at you because it thinks you are immune. I can only assume your death ward got dispelled/ran out or you just got unlucky. Or maybe you got caught when an AOE spell (like Weird) was cast at a close party member/summon without immunity, however I am pretty sure only finger of death does divine damage.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 January 2013, 07:51 »

Bump.

Any word on ever getting that map update uploaded? I was always a huge fan of the map for GvM. Simply a spectacular resource!
TM5000
Poster

Merry Critmas

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 March 2018, 04:02 »

Bump!

Has anyone updated the maps?

I downloaded them and they are generally accurate enough to navigate with, but I am starting to see changes to the server since they were made.

Misty morning, clouds in the sky.
Without warning, the wizard walks by.
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 March 2018, 06:40 »

Yeah, and most secrets are not on the map. Shortcuts and stuff like that.

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2018, 19:25 »

I did start a new graphical one but its not complete.

What I think I'll do is post a link to it as-is and update it bit by bit, maybe try to do an area each evening I am free, then I can bump the thread each time there is an update.
TM5000
Poster

Merry Critmas

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 March 2018, 02:57 »

That sounds great- thank you.

I have a question: the map shows Slavers Hideout branching off from Pelagrir Stronghold but I cannot find any transition there. I also have checked every door in the town and nothing. I am thinking this has to do with the quest I just got called Missing Friend?

Misty morning, clouds in the sky.
Without warning, the wizard walks by.
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 March 2018, 12:46 »

I did start a new graphical one but its not complete.

Perhaps there's an online share-able whiteboard / mapping tool so we can make it a cummunity effort to update it? (I dont know any off the top of my head.)

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 March 2018, 14:16 »

Good idea! headbang

I just dont know either where to do just that.

But for the time being I will share the "excel-map" from my GoogleDrive ...
(Bazbaz, Chaoz and I once added some "extra's" to the excel sheet, so this one has more info than the original one Sestitodc and Nobutadas made ... but is not up-to-date with the latest improvements made by -fire-)
Everyone with the url-link can modify this one ... so plze be careful (with modifying and url-sharing  Tongue)

Hope this can help us all and all can help us
Grin

here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N9ldMPkUKINlIt9MnrZ8qQ3H_DMjoLlM

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Sky
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 March 2018, 20:10 »

I second that, good idea!  Grin
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 March 2018, 19:28 »

Cool - well expect to see the first version in the next few days. It seems I have deleted or lost the one I started (about two years ago) so I'll have to build it from scratch. Not a bad thing really as that version was started before all the missing map pins were added in a subsequent release (and there were a lot missing), so didn't look great (possbily why I deleted it).

Yes I did look too hfodf when I started the last one and unfortunately it is a manual job.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 March 2018, 20:49 »

Well its started at least, just the one area Osgiliath, but as I said plan to add to it area by area when I get time:
http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm2/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2018, 14:05 »

Nicy Nice!
Good start!
Thnx
 hello2

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to: