Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 01:31

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Tough bosses and worthless drops
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tough bosses and worthless drops  (Read 4567 times)
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« on: 27 July 2010, 01:58 »

Ok, so there are a few bosses (like smaug) who are pretty tough to kill, and who has loot that is pretty much worthless for anything else than paperweight for your mule (like the battleaxe that can only be used by a lawful barbarian).

My question is; is this intentional, or is this just something that has been overlooked?

As it stands now, there's pretty much no incentive to kill smaug, as most of his drops are either bad or illegal/unusable, and he's one of the tougher bosses on the server.

If any DM who isn't olle could comment on this, I'd be grateful.

Regards
Khaine/Daccidflick

It's not paranoia if someone's out to get you!
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2010, 03:26 »

Another example is the fallen sword (I think that's it's name) - +7 Enhancement, Evil Only, Paladin only.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2010, 03:48 »

I wouldn't want to kill Smaug for those items either... it's the other stuff that I'm after.

A few things that are above your ability to wield them should encourage you.  Smaug wasted the dwarves at Lonely Mountain because he had heard of their treasure.  Though what's left of his jewel-encrusted hide and bones lay at the bottom of the nearby lake, his ghost came away with a few things the living would consider dying for.
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2010, 05:55 »

I think all of his drops are usable, but some of the items from the chest aren't, like the axe, and the bastard sword, etc. Although, even some of his drops aren't all that great :S +4 ring of warding ftl
Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2010, 14:49 »

his ghost came away with a few things the living would consider dying for.

I sure as hell wouldn't consider dying for mason's belt or unusable items Smiley

And yes, he drops mason's belt.....

P.S: The unusable items are from smaug's chest, but still.....
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2010, 18:37 »

The arrow isn't exactly an impressive drop either. It's only 1 of it, and there's very few cases where you can actually use it on someone/something. Also, Grond is pretty trashy (negative damage, which everyone and their mothers have 100% immunity to due to shadowshield/negative energy protection).

Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2010, 19:45 »

Also, Grond is pretty trashy (negative damage, which everyone and their mothers have 100% immunity to due to shadowshield/negative energy protection).

Wth???

Grond is a pretty good mace.

8d5 or w/e blunt dmg?? That with a STR based toon?
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2010, 21:16 »

8d5 is essentially 2d10 with lower minimum damage. And on a weapon with 20 base threat range and x2 multiplier, such weapons are only useful for shifters, if the damage types are good/heavier than other weapons with better multiplier/threat range like rapiers, scimitars, battleaxes and such. I for one would never make a build with Grond.

Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2010, 03:52 »

I've started making items on bosses that are there for buff purposes not drop.  Now instead of getting a mason's belt, you get nothing.  wink
Sancho29
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2010, 04:33 »

Masons belt > nothing

is it too late to take back what we have said?  Lol.

I for one like the "a NPC can drop anything it owns"  I mean, what does "buffs" mean exactly,  will anti-bigby rings no longer drop from some bosses?  They are as much of a buff as a masons belt can be,  as niether one actually casts a spell,  but rather has an ongoing effect.
(and yeah I'm aware of the massive difference of usefulness between a mason's belt and a bigby ring, I'm just saying...) 

Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2010, 16:30 »

Tell you what you can remove though - Torn Aprons from those hobbits in the Shire and surrounding areas...A robe with absolutely nothing on it that has no purpose in a set (monk set is the only set, mouldy shirt is the robe for that).

Does that area even have any purpose at all other than being extremely difficult and pointless? People generally need motivation to put themselves through stupidly annoying areas - some will do it for the challenge, but that gets boring after the third try. Especially with the distance you have to walk just to find the damn place. They have 91 ab, sneak for over 100 damage....do they drop ANYTHING good?
And to tie this into the boss thing - Samwise Gamgee is a boss who doesn't have any buffs on his list, and you have to go through that stupid area to get to him.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2010, 02:14 »

Samwise is not a boss, he's a quest giver. There are two other bosses that carry the best kukri and maybe the best shortsword and a few other trinkets. Could just remove the hobbits clothes and have you get beat by a bunch of naked hobbits.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2010, 15:47 »

Ok, fair enough then.

Other than just giving them nothing you could, y'know...give them something maybe half decent? They have 91 ab, and hips - it doesn't make sense that they would have crappy armour with nothing on it.

Nice to know about the kukri though.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: