Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 20:31

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Simple 2da Mods = FAR less coding
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Simple 2da Mods = FAR less coding  (Read 1453 times)
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« on: 31 March 2011, 17:22 »

I'm guessing this next suggestion might not be viewed with a ton of acclaim but have you guys ever considered using a couple hacked 2da's for the server? I know one of the goals has always been to avoid hakpaks and what not but I think a couple very simple mods to the core 2da's could open up some possibilities.

For instance you could mildly edit a couple class.2da's to include spot as a class skill instead of just listen, or you could edit the spells.2da to give druids Haste or Mass Haste as a non extendable level 9 spell. Again, the downside is that players would need to download the couple hacked 2da's and put them in their override folder but it wouldn't be a huge issue I don't think.

This would also allow you as devs to give specific feats at specific class levels as well, such as maybe HIPS for lvl 37+ rangers or the dual wield feats for high level rogues. Could even give certain classes like rogue Great Dex as a epic bonus feat (should have been there since day 1 imo). I just think it would be a great way to give some of the lesser classes an ability or choice to make them a bit more even in terms of playability. Forgive me for this being so messy but ideas don't always come all at once. If you were to go this route you could also give RDD's free Grt Str feats (or grt Con) at specific levels so there is a point in going past 10.

The only problem I could foresee would be how the Enforce Legal Characters check works. I'm not sure if it checks based on the mod'd server 2da's or if it checks for the base parameters no matter what.

All in all if the ELC wasn't an issue it would be sort of cool and definitely helps to expand things by opening up new possibilities.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2011, 06:47 »

One day I'm going to have to just try this and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, worst case is I replace the original 2das.

I asked on the forums about introducing new 2das into an existing player vault, and whether that would invalidate pre-existing characters, but nobody seemed to know. 

We already have custom versions of some 2das being used in the server override.  That's how we do things like add keen sense as an item property to the player skin.  It's also how I increased the uses per day of feats (divine wrath, assassin invis, darkness, etc).  I know those things aren't part of the ECL checks, but adding skill points, feats, or changing primary saves or attack schedules might be.

At times I've had a few different ideas for 2das (not that I'd do all of them now):
  --1 more skill point for rangers and rogues per level 
  --grant bane of enemies to rangers for free at 21
  --make wild shape a 4th level druid feat, so as to require less wasted levels/ab progression to be a shifter
  --shifters have a primary attack schedule like fighters (instead I added the bonus attack on their widget)
  --make clerics only have WILL as a primary SAVE, not WILL and FORT.  I mean c'mon!  They have a fort save progression that is on par with all the warrior classes, AND a high WILL save.  If anything, rangers should have had both FORT and WILL as primary save schedules, or FORT and REFLEX.

I like the haste option for druids as a level9 spell.  With some community brainstorming, I think we could come up with some feat options to grant like PP mentioned.  But before I get ahead of myself, I'll have to plan a day to do a 2da test.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: