Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 06:53

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  An event idea
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: An event idea  (Read 5650 times)
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« on: 07 May 2011, 19:11 »

Repost so it is in its own thread instead of tagged onto an exising one...

I was thinking of something that could be quite cool and fresh for the server and a DM event.

On an event day a DM restores (or builds in and activates) the old-skool Barad Dur maps and npcs, so that would be from Ered Lithui to Northwest passage, Morannon, 2x Udan maps, Issenmouth, 6x Gorgoroth maps, BD passage, BD gates and BD city map (and then inside maps) and any of those caves off those maps (Glaurung!). Party starts out in Ered. It would a be a specific event only accessible area of the mod and not accessible via the GvM world.

Currently the Barad Dur maps are pretty easy up to the main hall where the three bosses are, as all the npcs got toned down. It is possible to do everything up that point without using a dedicated tank. Those of you who may remember the old BD maps, they were a lot harder - the old Glooms, old Frogs, old spiders, death spikes, old BD elite archers, old Nega Knights, (Glaurung!), Barad Dur Gatekeeper, other bosses that don't exist, Oblib, etc etc...Currently players have access to the best tank that the mod has ever had, the SD tank - so I think with team work, a balanced party, good/useful builds (and enough players) it should be do-able, even though DR and AC items are not as promenent as they were pre-wipe. The old BD maps were neutral faction so both Mordor and Gondor toons would be use-able.

Drops
Firstly to really entice a good turn out so that a party has a chance of completing the event, I would suggest that the DM either inceases the drop rate by a lot for all maps (like a one in four chance), or before the events starts picks a good/original item (no +6 rings +4 hardiness boots) from every boss in those maps that, if killed, gets added to the loot pile of natural drops (e.g in theory Azrwyns bow may drop twice - once as a natural drop and 2nd from DM picking it as garanteed item) that way everyone who takes part has a chance of getting something.

Secondly I realise that this is old-skool BD, I don't remember what exactly use to drop there and therefore some drops may be deemed as illegal in alignment with the new item set. Some of the items have already been reworked for the current BD or other areas so they would just be a straight swap. Other illegal drops that have not been reworked would need to have a legal drop version making, and if bosses dropped nothing but trash they can be given new good items to drop. I suppose to make things easy the event DM(s) should be responsible for picking up all drops, so that no-one walks off with illegal items...

Work
Probably a lot of work adding in the old areas/npcs back in and creating new drop version items. Maybe a custom mod could be run on the day instead of adding it to the existing mod (if mod size and lag are possible issues)? It could be run as a 6 monthly event or something with proposed dates planned and advertised in shout channel way ahead to give people the opportunity to plan and take part.

Meh
Maybe it would be too difficult and maybe it isn't practicle due to lower player numbers and just one active DM Sad

Maybe the old BD maps and npcs got deleted and can;t be done at all...

Just thinking it could really spice things up for the mod occassionally...
« Last Edit: 08 May 2011, 12:06 by -firecracker- » Logged
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2011, 19:12 »

A higher than normal chance at rare drops, plus potentially the hardest series of maps ever created? I'd probably turn up to that, if I remembered.

I think the biggest problem, as you pointed out, would be setting it all up. It depends if the NPCs were modified to tone them down, or if they were simply replaced in those zones. If they were replaced, replicating it might not be that hard (just a case of putting the old NPCs back in the right places), whereas if they had to be created again from scratch, it might be impossible to make them the same as before.

Drops are easy - most of the stupidly powerful illegal drops could probably be made legal by removing one or two effects, or replacing them with slightly less powerful effects. Even making them from scratch isn't that hard, or time consuming, as long as it's done by somebody with a good eye for balance.

« Last Edit: 07 May 2011, 19:17 by -firecracker- » Logged
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2011, 19:13 »

It would be the old/original BD npcs/maps, so the much higher ab Glooms, archers, death spikes, spiders etc etc...with their old abilities/equiped gear etc... If the NPCs exists in the current mod (like the Nega Knight) they would not drop their equipped gear but the gear from the current Nega Knights. If the NPC doesnt exist in the mod (like the BD Death Spike) instead of dropping all his potential illegal equipped gear, his droppable gear is re-worked in-line with the new item set...(for example I think Red Raisen has recycled their spear for NPCs in ToD).

Other than that the only thing that springs to mind that would need to be looked into, and maybe considered overpowered about the old BD npcs (bosses), when comparing them to what exists in the current GvM mod is onhit slay. Is slay going to pose a problem to SD tanks? If the event was successful enough to attract a larger than normal party that could have 2 or 3 tanks, should they be left with onhit slay due to the proposed much higher reward rate?

Actually now that I have said this I don't think any of the BD bosses had slay...but some did have the anti-magic cone...

The original BD was very well done, with good maps and npcs, only the drops or lack of them was what put people off...or if the bosses dropped nothing but trash Smiley
Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2011, 00:55 »

Would be funny to see old uber NPC's with new AI Cheesy
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2011, 02:33 »

Thanks for copying my post across ^_^

In terms of difficulty...if this was publicised as you propose, I think quite a lot of people would turn up, so it would probably be doable. I would - assuming nothing stopped me - just to see how tough it used to be...I joined well after the wipe, and I've seen little enough of BD as it is (I've only seen the final room with the wraith twice), so it could be interesting...

It'd certainly be a fun event that could be easily set up (after the first time) by making it an inaccessible area of the mod. Then, when a DM wants to run the event, they just need to create a portal to the starting map.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2011, 04:09 »

The NPCs can easily be setup but would be better after the next CEP update so the NPCs only need to be recreated once in game. Then they will be available for any DM to drop on the paranoid.  hmh

The areas, will have to do with what is there but they can be decorated with all kinds of nasty dandilions for you to step on. icon_blackeye

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
schlix
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2011, 08:33 »

this is a rockin' idea, i will definitely be there Cheesy

The closer you are to danger, the further you are from harm. - J.R.R. Tolkien
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2011, 11:41 »

The areas, will have to do with what is there but they can be decorated with all kinds of nasty dandilions for you to step on. icon_blackeye

So the missing maps (Northwast passage, 6x Gororoth maps, BD passage, BD gate) and older version of the maps (Ered, Barad Dur city map) don't exist in an backup of the old mod? Thats a shame, the old BD city map design was pretty cool!

I joined well after the wipe, and I've seen little enough of BD as it is (I've only seen the final room with the wraith twice), so it could be interesting...

Right, part of the fun of this proposed event setup would be the experience of the old maps to those who joined after they were removed from the mod, heh, a party of players trying to find their way through Gorgoroth and all it's old npcs! I struggle to remember the layout of those maps as it's been a while...
« Last Edit: 08 May 2011, 11:55 by -firecracker- » Logged
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2011, 14:30 »

Maybe, if the old maps don't exist, you can get a few of the older players to sketch a rough outline of the old maps and then build them again. If you know exactly what you want it to look like, building maps isn't actually that difficult for somebody who knows how to code the spawns and such...I built my own map using the toolset when I first started playing (before I found out I could give myself exp using DebugMode to test builds, I fought things to level up, so I created a map to supply me with a large amount of exp) - I didn't care what it looked like, so it only took a few minutes to set up. Modifying it when I wanted to was easy as well.

Well, then my toolset crashed and I couldn't build anything ever again, but I think that was just my computer.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2011, 01:22 »

Goto bump this thread, just logged on for the first time in a few days to see two people to try start some boss raid...DMs please...Cheesy Send me the old mod to get the ball rolling Cheesy

...seriously lets get the mod rocking in terms of dm related events...e.g. what i proposed above seems a good way...

Hell, I was on and MF logged onto the server recently, nice vet of old and a good player but only 4 or 5 other people on at the same time...got to wonder if this player base is appealing to those 'players of old'....the mod is good, i just think a litlle more DM acitivty could do wonders....

P.S. Hi MF Cheesy
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 02:52 by -firecracker- » Logged
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2011, 02:54 »

I've stopped wanting to do planned events because the last 3 times I tried, barely anyone showed up.  Also, whenever I have time to get something going, people are raiding or busy doing other stuff.  It's just really hard sometimes as a DM.

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2011, 03:17 »

Well, alright, that seems a decisive no-no then, would lilke to see other regular players post stuff in the forum to push the event side of the mod forward but that seems to be a no-no in most cases too, as only one or two people seem to post threads/responses in this section, oh well, I tried. Cheesy

Signing out...
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 13:34 by -firecracker- » Logged
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2011, 07:42 »

I'm sorry.  I wasn't trying to make it sound like a no.  I don't plan on doing planned events for a while.  If I see people on, I've occasionally been messing around and spawning mobs for fun.  I can try to do more when I'm on, so don't take it as a definite "no."  :p

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2011, 12:18 »

That's cool, my choice of words could have been better Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: