Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 01:08

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Combat Casting
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Combat Casting  (Read 2152 times)
radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: 27 May 2011, 10:10 »

I had read that if you max out concentration that there is not point in taking combat casting feats to avoid attacks of opportunity but i'm lvl 31 and still getting them is this then wrong and should i take them?

Pity there isnt a facility to relevel toons from scratch, it really puts me off when i have scrap a toon that i have had to grind out and just get a pittance of xp back from the xp bank for my trouble. 

azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2011, 13:02 »

You need to either be in Defensive Casting Mode, or have Improved Combat Casting to negate AoOs when casting near an enemy. 

Account Name: .denikrut
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2011, 14:18 »

Taking combat casting and improved combat casting is a waste of two feats.
Defensive casting, unfortunately, is a pain in the ass because it doesn't always trigger when you want it to. Sometimes, I hit my DC quickslot but the stance doesn't trigger until I try to melee something (like a gate).

One solution that I keep changing my mind over would be to give improved combat casting to spellcasters automatically, but I can't decide what level they should get it. I don't think anybody actually RELIES on attacks of opportunity against mages when casting, but there's bound to be at least one person who would complain it was unfair if we simply removed the attacks of opportunity.

I think 21 in any caster class would be perfect. Not least because ICC is an epic feat and so this is the earliest that a pure caster can achieve it.
Because lets face it, anybody who has that much raw spellcasting power at their fingertips can surely work out a way not to leave themselves open to attack while doing it.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2011, 17:34 »

I think improved combat casting is too good to give out.

If you want to cast without attacks of opportunity, then that is what defensive casting mode is for.  Otherwise, you need to take improved combat casting.

This is anecdotal, but...

when I cast in combat with my rangers or paladins without combat casting, it seems like I get hit a lot, as if I became flat-footed.  As soon as I take combat casting, they still get attacks of opportunity, but it's like I'm not flat-footed anymore.  So I tend to believe that combat casting does something more than just removing the concentration penalty when casting in close quarters.  Anyone else?

It is true that concentration past 28 is not needed for the purposes of making a defensive casting check, but if you take a hit for 50 damage, you'll have to make a save vs. DC50 or your spell will fail for that reason.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: