Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 12:25

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Character Builds  |  Ranger 38/Fighter 1/Monk 1
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ranger 38/Fighter 1/Monk 1  (Read 5806 times)
azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« on: 26 June 2011, 01:16 »

Another variation on an earlier post (the Ranger 38/SD2 Dex-based one), this build is the result of me trying to find the best use for my Menelvagor's Blade (the Two-Bladed Sword from Imrahil).  I tried to come up with something fun with a str-based Assassin but I wasn't impressed.  Then I considered this build and was tempted to do a 37 Ranger/2 SD/1 Fighter split as a str-based HIPSer...  but Hide/MS is too depressingly low to be useful most of the time with a str-build.  Instead, I've decided to drop the pretense of being a HIPSer at all and rely on the Ranger Shield AC from Parry, as well as other Ranger self buffs, to make a half-decent hitter (I hope). 

As usual, comments and feedback are appreciated.  I'm still in the "is this toon worth the effort" phase of development. 

Important notes: because this build is based off of trying to make a toon to use Menelvagor's Blade well I include it's stats so that I can reference it for damage calcs later:  +5, Keen, 2d6 Electric, 2d4 Positive, +12 Spot, +2 Vamp Regen.

Race: Human

Starting (Final) Stats:
14 (30) STR
14 DEX
14 CON
14 INT
14 WIS
8 CHA

Level Progression:

1: Ranger
2: Fighter
3-36: Ranger
37: Monk
38-40: Ranger

STR at Every Level Up Chance

Feats
1: Toughness, Luck of Heros, Favored Enemy: Humans
2: Weapon Proficiency Exotic
3: Weapon Focus: Two-Bladed Sword
6: Knockdown, Favored Enemy: Elves
9: Improved Critical: Two-Bladed Sword
11: Favored Enemy: Dwarves
12: Alertness
15: Blind Fight
16: Favored Enemy: Constructs
18: Improved Knockdown
21: Great Strength, Epic Weapon Focus: Two-Bladed Sword
24: Great Strength II, Bane of Enemies
26: Epic Prowess
27: Great Strength III, Favored Enemy: Elementals
30: Great Strength IV, Favored Enemy: Dragons
31: Favored Enemy: Half-Elves
33: Great Strength V, Favored Enemy: Undeads
36: Great Strength VI, Favored Enemy: Halflings, Favored Enemy: Outsiders
39: Armor Skin
40: Favored Enemy

Same as the last build, the final Favored Enemy is on level 40 intentionally so it can be re-rolled as necessary for any new bosses / targets you want at the time.

299 Skill Points:

Concentration: 43
Discipline: 43
Heal: 36
Parry: 42
Search: 10
Set Trap: 42
Spot: 43
Tumble: 40

Why the changes?  Concentration was desirable in the last build but 43 Hide/MS made it impossible - now I can abuse (hopefully) the Cure Serious Wounds spell more.  Parry 42 is for the +6 Shield AC from dual-wielding.  Set Traps is for +14 DC on Entangle Spell (I've heard it's not half bad) and also for some light Deadly trap setting.  Spot is for spare points and also because the sword gives +12 Spot.

Final Stats:
HP: 518+240 = 758 w/ +12 CON Items
Saves: Fort = 26, Will = 19, Reflex = 19
AB: 30 (BAB) + 16 (STR) + 5 (Weapon) + 4 (Feats) + 7 (Aid) + 2 (Bane of Enemies) + 2 (Ranger Dual Wield) - 2 (Dual Wield) = 64 AB
AC: 10 (Base) + 2+6 (Armor) + 6 (DEX) + 6 (Amulet) + 6 (Ring) + 2 (Double Weapon) + 4 (Boots) + 8 (Tumble) + 6 (Ranger Dual Wield) + 2 (Armor Skin) = 58 AC
Damage: 1d8+16+5+2d6+8 Physical Damage, 2d6 Electric Damage, 2d4 Positive Damage, 1d10 Magical Damage. 

Account Name: .denikrut
locmer
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2011, 21:26 »

So I guess you took monk for tumble and evasion.

I would wear a robe and get that +8 wis bonus to AC and try to max dex too to get that +8 also so you'll get AC 68, it's still not the greatest AC but it means that npc's or pc's with the same AB you got need a 20 on their last 2 attacks or so to hit ya.
It could just make the difference, and since yer spending points in Parry for AC aswell as Armor Skin, I would try to get the most out of it.

AB 64 is decent enough I think, and the dmg would be nice. get yerself a bard and a lvl 40 pally and you got an uber hitter  icon_thumright

The biggest risk is not taking one.
radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2011, 10:52 »

Nice build Az.

I'm sure theres a reason to go fighter (extra feat?) but i would probably go a duel-wielding monk 1 sd 2 for the following reasons.

You get alot more hits a round (6-7). If you max your Wis and Dex (with uncanny dodge) you will i think get more ac than the parry/2-handed bonus and you can always use a helm or shield ring to get that ac back.

Dont underestimate your hips  Smiley

I would drop exotic weapon and take stealthy (+2), max hide/ms (45) drop a couple of str and pick up epic hide/ms coupled camoflague which give +10 (55) to both but i believe also gives extra conceal (55 i think) and One with the land (another +4) that gives you 59 without equipment or your dex bonus so i think you could get to the 100 mark.. not bad for escaping or catching them flat footed. Maybe you could drop either concentration (you would be buffing pre-combat) or heal for maxing ms/hide.

If you can take the xp penalty you could even go halfling or gnome for 4 more points!

Alternatively if you think you can rely on the limited hips of the ranger (i think they get that) then you could swap sd for assassin still getting uncanny dodge at lvl 2 but allowing you to get UMD and avoid any xp penalty.

Just my tuppence worth. I actually built one of these but dex based i like your one better (with 2 sd of course)  Grin

P.S. I would take monk at lvl 21 to get max bab from your ranger lvls and get your ac/hits early and take your last sd lvl at the end to max skills. Ranger can top up discpline anytime and i would focus my favoured enemies mainly on crit immune types for a bit of extra damage as you will be stuck with kamas.

Regards Rabbac.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2011, 10:55 by radagast » Logged

radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2011, 20:23 »

Correction that should read 69 hide without equipment  Smiley

Unfortunately you have to take 2 focus spell feats to get the concealment from camoflauge.

I've never really  thought about it before but isnt aid a spell you can cast on someone? So would it improve thier ab by 7 i wonder?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2011, 20:29 by radagast » Logged

azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2011, 02:03 »

I went STR build because I wanted to make good use of the two-bladed sword.  Double weapons intrigue me for several reasons.  They typically posses better damage types/amounts than their single-handed versions (this is justified by the inability to swap to a shield when convenient, I think).  They also only require one spell/item use to affect all of your attacks (Blade Thirst, for example, which is great since Rangers have very limited spells per day).  I also had tried a STR-based Ranger with hide/ms and was just unhappy with the results.  The thing's a good hitter, so I decided to focus on hitting and screw the sub-par hide/ms scores (camouflage/mass camo only give + to hide, AFAIK). 

The reason for fighter is because of the lack of UMD in the build.  Fighters get so many nice items that putting one level in seemed better than UMD (since I want all the skills I've got currently).  Monk was, as loc pointed out, taken simply for evasion and tumble.  Going +12DEX/WIS is certainly good advice if I can find gear to max all that AND STR (and possibly CON too). 

radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2011, 10:32 »

I suppose i'm always a bit wary having lowish armour class (below 70) or no hips due to playing solo a lot (before i became Chaz's meatshield!)   Cheesy
I did do a str based sd which is pretty effective with 30 lvls of sd his hide was about 110 (16 dex) and ac was decent enough to do some tanking, pity the ab was only about 55 or so, but catching them flat footed helped.  (muffin man)

Might do the sd/monk ranger myself so no moaning when i creep up behind you (since you only have spot) and hit you 7 times or so before i fade away   Evil

pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2011, 02:54 »

Looks like a pretty feasible build for the most part. 64ab is right on the border of what I would consider useful and the damage would be alright I guess, x2 crits with 15-20 range leaves a bit to be desired though. That two bladed sword is a fairly good weapon but without wm levels I think it's too weak.

Try something silly, like a ftr7/wm28/hs5. Ab would be something like 68-69 self buffed (without items or party buffs - imagine a sequencer with tensers/favor...thats 7 more ab for a real time minute.) and the damage would be far better. Ac would be around 80 if you can cop a shield ring somewhere.

Your build as posted would be decent no doubt, but the suggested build would rip.
azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2011, 04:43 »

Would be tough to fit all those feats required in and still get anything else (even imp crit) I think...  I'll take a closer look at it later, because it looks like a potentially fun build. 

Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2011, 12:13 »

You would need 6 feats for WM, 2 for HS, 3 if you're not ranger 18 for dual-wield (need DEX15) and still get -2 AB, 1 for exotic weapon, 1 for blind fight, 1 for imp crit, 1 for imp exp thats a whopping 15 total  Tongue
« Last Edit: 22 July 2011, 14:31 by Chaozrulez » Logged

Keep'em rollin'
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: