Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 23:09

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Anyone still around?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Anyone still around?  (Read 36422 times)
Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 March 2013, 19:21 »

Can't say I've heard of this new NWN MMO.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 March 2013, 19:27 »

Howdie Zevia!

That blood writing makes it hard to read laugh

I need to go check out MMO as I too have not heard about it.
radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 11 June 2013, 02:01 »

Nice to be back.. hello to anyone still around  Smiley

TURRIL ARE YOU ALIVE!!!!  Grin

Rabbac

locmer
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 June 2013, 17:03 »

Hey Rabbac,

You're back!!!
Welcome back dude.

We have quite a few peeps on these days. Not to tell on people  Evil but here are a few that are online regularly:

Noruas (without a doubt)
Chaos (most times with 2 accounts, but it still counts as one)
Greydeth (same as above)
Fire (applying for DM, as you have seen)
Marcus (sneaky monk like before)
Grunaldo (grinding his tanks to epic levels)
Sky (failing again and again to acquire thralls armor, sorry dude)
Rod (yes we tricked him to come back too)
Raj (phasing in and out like a spider)
Dragoneye (on occasion)
Tono (I thought I was dreaming too)
Bazbas (beginning to learn the tricks of GvM)
And anyone I forgot in a hurry.

well and me...

On occassion we even got some new guys on, so that pretty awesome.

Some other vets having problems with them losing cd-keys, which makes it kinda hard to run yer old account. (see some older posts)

So no maxed out server, but still quite a few peeps on these days.

Xp parties are still running.
Raids to MM, MT, ToD, Hobbiton and other places in the last 3 months I was lucky to be able to attend.
Great fun! And with succes even most of the times.

Now if only the server was up again I could make a pvp toon and hunt Noru*swallows* *coughs* ...

Cheers Loc

The biggest risk is not taking one.
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 June 2013, 17:13 »

You forgot Yoghy she is already testing builds haha  laugh
As it happens I received an email today from somebody who wanted to play on our server, so there is hope yet  Grin

Keep'em rollin'
radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 13 June 2013, 22:15 »

Hey Locmer,

Nice to see you  Smiley

Cool I didn't know all those people were still around (or the server for that matter) and yoggy to!

Just looked up the forums on a whim and dug out my discs I thought I was going to be disappointed but things seem much the same as when I left in fact there looks like more people!  Grin

I've forgotten half my accounts and what most of my builds were going to be but it's nice to start a fresh at least i've still got some kit and cash!

Looking forward to getting back to my old routine a nice way to spend a couple of hours before bedtime and hopefully the occasional raid.

Hope fire gets to DM it would be nice to have one on again .. damn so the server is down. Bah I'm a curse!!

See you in game

Happy Rabbac  wink

radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 13 June 2013, 22:17 »

You forgot Yoghy she is already testing builds haha  laugh
As it happens I received an email today from somebody who wanted to play on our server, so there is hope yet  Grin

Did they say how they learned of it Chaz? Surely there are some budget game NWN players looking for a server.

Yoghurth
Poster

<3 125 <3

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 June 2013, 17:30 »

You forgot Yoghy she is already testing builds haha 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
am i ????? LOL  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Only online for some chit chat and to c how you guys are doing.
And yes i'm testing some things for helping dragoneye and maybe but thats a small chance
i will ever play again! Evil.
Holiday time? but then i am a way wmhuwhahahahahaha

Have fun hugs Yoghy

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU
Aleena

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10 July 2013, 00:46 »

*sigh* I miss you guys. I'll see if I can dig out my CD keys one of these days.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 August 2013, 03:49 »

Good to see there are so many people still around playing GvM! I recognize some of those older names. GvM has been a longtime favorite server of mine that I always seem to bounce back to eventually.

I had a lot of free time this summer so I picked up playing NWN regularly again. Unfortunately the GvM server has been down for most of my summer. I've had to make due on other servers all summer so far.
Sad
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 08 August 2013, 09:36 »

Yeah we hope Turril gets it up quick, his rig was overheating and then he left for holiday before he could fix it.

Keep'em rollin'
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 09 August 2013, 04:27 »

With how long GvM has been around I'm surprised no one has a backup module to throw up. Then again, I suppose the popularity these days doesn't warrant having a backup server on standby...
cosmic_pariah
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 29 August 2013, 06:39 »

Hey folks,
been a while since I have played and was looking forward to some runs.

will try to log in now and then and see what happens.

lates! cosmic

Cool
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31 August 2013, 04:40 »

Good to see there are so many people still around playing GvM! I recognize some of those older names. GvM has been a longtime favorite server of mine that I always seem to bounce back to eventually.

I had a lot of free time this summer so I picked up playing NWN regularly again. Unfortunately the GvM server has been down for most of my summer. I've had to make due on other servers all summer so far.
Sad

Still good to see people involved here either by posting or at least just logging into the forums.

While I have the mod (although was never able to establish whether it was the most up-to-date version), Turrils' box holds the vault for all the toons as well as some 2das/overrides that are required for the shifter class. This is the first big hurdle as i was never able to obtain these additional files and don't have access to the vault.

Once I did get the mod (without the certain additional files), I did spend a bit of time fixing certain bugs in it and spent time planning out new areas, but since the server has now been unavailable for nearly 2 months which is (lets face it) a long time, I have not touched it as I do not want to feel like I am wasting my time.

For me it is quite hard to say but I fear that with the amount of downtime and no other DM related response, maybe GvM is dead. If I was in the position to host it myself (as Turril has done so graciously over the last couple of years, and I thank him for this) I would, but my internet connection just isn't up to it (UK = rubbish). I could probably quite easily build a box for it but yeh, without the stable and descent connection...no chance of hosting a descent service to you GvM'ers and true lovers of Neverwinter Nights.

-fc-
« Last Edit: 31 August 2013, 14:13 by -firecracker- » Logged
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31 August 2013, 10:48 »

Man this sucks FC, just when you were putting time in the mod to fix bugs/updates etc, the server goes down. I think it's weird Turril just keeps us hanging like this so I hope he's OK. I mean if he wanted some funds to get a new server up I'd be willing to sponsor, if he doesn't want to host it anymore he could have posted it if anyone else would take over..
Remaining optimistic that it gets back up, in the mean time I'm starting some new games I haven't played yet. All the best guys..

Keep'em rollin'
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 31 August 2013, 14:23 »

Agreed, with no activity I hope Turril and family are ok.

If the server does re-emerge over time then great icon_thumleft
cosmic_pariah
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31 August 2013, 17:35 »

I agree with fire.
I could host the mod if it came down to it. As long as we could get the files needed from Turril I believe we could get the thing back up and running.

food for thought anyway.

cosmic
Noruas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 31 August 2013, 18:28 »

Hi all,
I agree with you, I was just thinking that we can relieve Turril of the charge to host the GvM server (because he generously did it for at least 4-5 years for free).
During the past week, I have gathered some info on how to install a NWN server.
My mind is to run it under linux.
We have to find a way to get the player database.

I am not able to host it myself because I have a bad connection now (DSLAM is at 5 km, 2.8Mbps).
So I have looked for some server provider (the cheaper I found is www.kimsufi.com, the config KS 4G with ubuntu desktop is about 12€/month).
I am ready to give about 5-10€/month to finance the server.

See you,
Noruas

ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nasg thrakatuluk,
agh burzum ishi krimpatul
cosmic_pariah
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 01 September 2013, 22:43 »

I would be down to provide the balance to run the server Nor.
Just let me know when and where.

cosmic
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 01 September 2013, 22:55 »

I think having someone host it as Turril has done is the best solution, as it gives the devs and players that little bit more control and stability. But it is a big undertaking for the person hosting.

I remember Rod telling me he set something up on Turrils box that allowed DMs to login and update the mod themselves. This removed the need for devs to email large files to Turril and then for him to up-date when he had time. If something like this could be setup again then it makes updating things a lot quicker and easier.

When it comes to running NWN as a server the only experience I have of that is when testing my changes to the mod. I fire up the mod in the NWN Server client then connect to it via the player client. Never experienced any issues but then it is only one person connecting (Windows 7 BTW). The NWN Server client seems a doddle to setup though Smiley

So, we have been lucky enough to get GvM for free for the last X amount of years, could the same be done with another volunteer? Would that volunteer require some initial help to get something suitable to run it setup? Monthly help for running costs? Or external hosting?

Finally - the player database and these additional 2da's...critical to going forward... well they firmly sit on the current server which only Turril has access to - I guess someone could try email Turril about them. I know Terrorble doesn't have the 2da's but I could try PM Red Raisin who has been active in the past. No way of knowing if the ones RR has (if any) are as up-to-date as the ones on the server though.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2013, 23:23 by -firecracker- » Logged
Noruas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 September 2013, 06:54 »

Hello,
@fc: both solution are good to me, but the volunteer must have a connection with a very good baudrate.
@cosmic: OK good

Here follow some link I found to install the server:
1/ http://www.bbnwn.eu/nwn/presentation/winserver.php (in french to translate)
2/ http://editthis.info/nwnx/NWN_Server_Installation

See you,
Noruas

ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nasg thrakatuluk,
agh burzum ishi krimpatul
tonoplast
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 03 September 2013, 03:35 »

It's good that people are trying to revive the server.
I would host if I knew how.. and well I'm way around the globe from where most players are. I dunno if the connection will be good.

Anyway, hope that we can get this thing working!
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 03 September 2013, 14:22 »

So what would be the upload/download bandwidth requirements be for the mod?  I have a computer sitting around wasting space.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 September 2013, 02:37 »

I don't remember all that was changed on the 2da files, but it was nothing extensive.  I could redo them if needed.

Having remote access to the server was awesome.  I could login, transfer a new mod version into the game folder, and it would take effect after the next reset.  I could handle player vault issues, update 2da, and view the server log entries if needed.  Definitely the way to go.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 September 2013, 01:31 »

I don't remember all that was changed on the 2da files, but it was nothing extensive.  I could redo them if needed.

If you could do that Terrorble that would be top notch. Must be hard to remember exactly what was in the 2da's? It would make us one stop closer to resurrecting the mod, which I am sure everyone would be grateful of.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
Jump to: