Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 03:06

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Curse Song Glitch?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Curse Song Glitch?  (Read 7178 times)
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« on: 30 June 2008, 17:44 »

I have created a bard and am currently leveling the toon with a Summon.  My plan was to stay invisibled, buff my summon, and curse song the enemy, not ever leaving invisibility.  Well, when I cast curse song, every monster that got the effect can thereafter see me and engage me, even though they do NOT have see invisibility.  It still shows up in the top left corner that I have invisibility on, and if I run to where other enemies are they will not be able to see me because I have invisibility on.  I have tried to recast invisibility but it does not work, the monsters I cast curse song on still are able to see me.  I still want to test to see if the same thing happens with GS.  I was wondering if anyone knew why the monsters can see me even though I am invisible, and if this is just a bug, or it is supposed to happen.

ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2008, 23:02 »

It's just the way the scripts are written.
NPCs auto attack the nearest enemy when a spell is cast on them. They don't check whether your inviso til the next combat round. By then your already stuck as thier target.  cussing
Need to move out of thier site to break it.
It doesn't bother those in GS. Don't know if it's gettin fixed.  argue

It's the same principal as an archer has you targetted, you cast GS. Your still targetted until you move out of site.  bs

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2008, 11:17 »

Sorry, but personally I think this is quite right.  Curse Song is an offensive action (which in my mind equates to 'attack'), so if you're dropping it on enemies I think they should be able to "see" you.  Otherwise, I'd like to see effectively risk free levelling for all classes too.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2008, 15:23 »

Thank you very much Ollebroc. That cleared up a lot of confusion on my part.

sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2008, 20:20 »

Sorry, but personally I think this is quite right.  Curse Song is an offensive action (which in my mind equates to 'attack'), so if you're dropping it on enemies I think they should be able to "see" you.  Otherwise, I'd like to see effectively risk free leveling for all classes too.

I think the problem he had was that afterwards he was still invisible, and recasting II on him didn't help. I'm sure he would find it reasonable if Curse Song was an offensive action and when casting it, his invisibility went away (in fact, it would probably be a better thing). The problem was/is that he is still marked as "invisible," is still targeted by casters/archers, and can't recast invisibility on himself to stop the casters/archers from targeting him.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2008, 09:46 »

I totally understand that, and who am I to argue with Bioware if that is how it's meant to be....  My point is that I think that using Curse Song *should* make you lose "Invisible" -even though his icon is telling him he hasn't-, precisely because it *is* an offensive action.  (Note:  If using Improved Invisibility, Concealment should be retained as normal.)  But yes, re-casting a fresh one should also work properly.  Unless of course I'm still mis-understanding.

That's just my opinion though, not a crusade I wish to campaign for!

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2008, 00:00 »

Doesn't Curse Song count as an hostile action, thereby making invisibilty wear off?
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2008, 12:39 »

Reading the origional post, it appears the answer is "no".  I agree, it should.  But it seems maybe it doesn't.  Or at least, it's doesn't in the way it should.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2008, 14:18 »

Invisibilit and GS do NOT dissapear, though, archers an mages will still hold you as target until someone else takes their attacks.

ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2008, 15:58 »

It's always been that way.
A high level bard would stay in GS to curse the enemies and heal and rez the party.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2008, 16:42 »

Works the same way as the cleric spell battletide if someone steps within the radius you become invisible as its an aggressive action. Its a nusicance when you forget youve cast it and you walk in invis to pellenor  Cheesy

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Whisper
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2008, 00:30 »

Sorry, but personally I think this is quite right.  Curse Song is an offensive action (which in my mind equates to 'attack'), so if you're dropping it on enemies I think they should be able to "see" you.  Otherwise, I'd like to see effectively risk free levelling for all classes too.
Agreed, it should actually remove your invisibility since it is in fact an offensive action.

I like to sing songs that are sad or angry, this gives me attention and helps me to perpetuate my crappy feelings.

Boo Hoo, look at me, Emo frog.

P.S. please pay attention to me
Rade
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2008, 00:56 »

Once on a nwn RP server I played (and mind you, these are H-core nerds with the D&D source book as their Bible) they actually reasoned that it should not dispel invisibility. The final reasoning the DMs agreed upon was that the bard is playing music and bards can be small-time ventriloquists. A bard should be able to project his voice and play an instrument while under the guise of invisibility, so long as he isn't directly next to his target. They recommended consulting a DM if you had any questions  laugh
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2008, 01:00 »

Lol. Score 1 for bards!

Rade
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2008, 01:09 »

I guess I should mention as well that while it is a "hostile action" in the sense that it inflicts bad things on a hostile target, it does not affect anyone but already hostile targets and it does not actually strike the opponent. You could use the rational that a mage's area of effect blasts make him visible, but that is because his voice has a central focus point, flashing lights, and waving body parts. A bard could quickly strike a harsh flute note and whisper "Your mother wears militia boots!" to distract multiple opponents at the same time and never pinpoint his location - you know he's nearby, but without piercing magic you cannot see him.
It should be mentioned that he cannot do this from stealth, a state that requires careful proprioception and silenced breath in order to not be detected - invisibility is magical distortion of an image so that it cannot be seen by the un-enhanced eye.

Cheers  Tongue
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2008, 09:40 »

Logic good.  Game balance bad.  It is a game, so I still think the same way as before.  Offesnive actions should break invis etc.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2008, 09:41 »

also note that sneaker bards can use either son g without breaking stealth! now try that ninja opera.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: