Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24 April 2024, 16:48

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Character Restoration?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Character Restoration?  (Read 5767 times)
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« on: 16 July 2008, 01:31 »

I've played GvM for a while now but just got around to getting on the forums, sorry.

My most recent character just got sent back to level 1 due to the server issues and movements. However what I was wondering about was a character vault wipe that occured awhile back now and two of my characters were deleted. I was told to contact Ghost about it but I had problems getting on the forums at the time.

Is there any way those characters can still be restored, or are they lost now due to the server movement and Ghost going MIA (At least I thought he did...)?

My player account is Ace-of-Spades77
Thank you for any responses.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2008, 10:31 »

While I can't speak for the management, I do remember on the old forums before they died, it being made quite clear that there would be no restoration of losses incurred due to having to start up a new server with an old (May) backup.

Unless policy changes, I think you're out of luck.  Sorry.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2008, 15:08 »

I'm fairly certain he addressed the toons lost due to the server transfer.  What he is referring to is something Ghost had done prior to the server going down.  He had backed up the vault to a seperate location, making it so anything considered "inactive" was backed up somewhere else so as not to take up space on the server cache.  Anyone who hadn't accessed their account is whatever time span he allotted was stored away, and had to be restored by him.

Unfortunately, unless someone can somehow contact Ghost and get access to those files, I think you are still indeed out of luck, Ace.   Cry

Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2008, 22:20 »

You hit the nail on the head KrazyKuban.  Smiley
It is as I thought though, I'd have to still contact Ghost as he has the files personally. So...yes, still out of luck it seems, unless he pops up.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2008, 09:33 »

Sorry I didn't quite understand the situation exactly.  Unless the characters were a passing fancy that you could put to the back of your mind, I would write them off and work up new equivalents.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2008, 16:28 »

Ghost did (for reasons unknown to me) delete massive ammount of toons from the vault. (Mostly those that were old.) I think he thought he did it to free up space (thats no issue). .... I do have older backups, so i can restore that char for you, it will be in the state it was about 1 month be4 ghost wiped a lot of vaults ....

what was the char and account name again?

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2008, 23:55 »

Yeah, I'm not especially fond of the characters so I wouldn't be upset if they are history. I can always roll up new stuff.
However if it is still possible hfodf, it would be appreciated.

My account name is Ace-of-Spades77, and unfortunately I don't quite remember the characters names. There were only two on my account at that time, one was a Cleric and one was a Fighter/Blackguard (named Ashan I believe). Both were around levels in the mid 20's.
Like I said, not anything special, they weren't ubar level 40's or anything, but getting the chars and the items back would be nice.

Either way, thanks for all the responses and help guys.
Estland

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2008, 03:05 »

hfodf

If you ever see a toon called Necro Doll under the username Estland laying around in a backup tape, I really miss that toon.  wiz9/sd1/pm20   took tons of work to get her that far, was trying to find out what the upper level summons were like

may I say the Ghost Warrior summons at pm lvls 18-19 was fun.  low AC, but good hitter

If she's gone, oh well.

thanks
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2008, 09:41 »

Not that great so far.  I currently have as Wiz10/PM27 and the summons are really not worth the slog.  The Summoned Skeletal Monk is a wuss compared to Mummy Dust....

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2008, 11:26 »

Lol, I suspect a lot of people are currently pm-ing df in the hope to get some characters back again, remember people these are very old characters, the ones lost from may till the server change we do not have so no need to ask about those.

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2008, 11:34 »

I know that only too well.  For the first time ever I had tried a Barb.  Was lvl 20+, but is now just a memory.  Grrrrr.  Sorry to disrespect previous administration, but to not do regular backups was.....

>>>
From: the commander-in-chief of the Allied forces at Ambleve.
To: the German commander-in-chief.

Nuts.
<<<

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2008, 10:24 »

I got some pm's yeah Smiley
I'll check out hte uber old chars, see if i have them backed up. I deleted (be4 we had trouble) all backups from before 2007. So the oldest i have is from about april 2007.

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
Estland

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2008, 19:55 »

Shins,

a wiz10/pm27 may be more playable now, if the fix is still in place to give you a caster level for every 2 PM levels.  I read that on one of the flags, hope its still there.  you would have a 23rd level caster, its now a decent shield mage, where before it was only a crit immune toon with some undead summons.

I'm still curious how the demi-lich summons or the draco lich stands up, if making the slog to 40th worthwhile.  My toon was only at the vampire druid sumons (pm 20th), and it wasn't very good, even as bait.  But with the addition of the caster level improvement, that toon would have been a 19th level caster as well, would not have needed the summons as much.

possiblities
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2008, 09:12 »

Well, he still isn't working too well.  I get better spell results from a Sorc/PM 21/12.  And it feels way better.  Not just a couple of "effective caster levels" better.  Mainly because durations still are very poor for the PM.  Any spell of round/level lasts as long as the proverbial snowball for the PM.  That other chap should have 28 lvls of PM within a day or so, so we'll see if the summons finally get good.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2008, 11:00 »

Update FYI:  Finally made PM28.  Played with the demi-lich.  Interesting.  It's made of papier mache, but does kick out a lot of mojo.  So if the enemy is otherwise occupied, it's fun.  I would have expected something like this 2 or 4 levels ago, but at least it's not useless.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: