Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24 April 2024, 13:55

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Blank Scrolls
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Blank Scrolls  (Read 14108 times)
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2008, 15:26 »

Whether admin choose to take notice is another story  Smiley we dont want the server to turn into a free for all no limits mod do we? or maybe i'm only speaking for myself  Tongue
No, I'd agree with that one!

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2008, 18:00 »

I don't see how using a summon as a rouge is an exploit.  Why should a caster be able to sit back and read while their summon kills everything, and a rouge has to pay attention constantly, keep equipment up to date, and die several more times. It's just making the mage a little more even.

AzQuack Reborn
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2008, 18:36 »

I am going to make an objective observation and probably get blasted for doing so - but thats the upside of being someone as stubbornly aloof as I sometimes can be.

Why must EVERYTHING (every topic, every post, every comment) be taken, strangled, turned on its side, and then transformed into something bigger - usually a rant against the way the server is made. Must we CONSTANTLY be reminded of how this server isnt a democracy, or of every other change that has been made to it.

Ive played on many servers, Ive heled Admin a few, and I even helped run one for a little while. Ive seen alot worse, but very little that honestly was better. This server is run be a benevolent, fair (to their ability) administrative group that does their damnest to make sure that their players are happy. However, just like politics, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone at once, and everyone has to take their turn being pissed off. So PLEASE, when its your turn to sit in the corner with your arms crossed, do it quietly and leave the rest of us in peace!

Zak
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2008, 20:50 »

Haha, yeah, this topic really got killed  Smiley. There just hadn't been any blank scrolls in MT/MM, and everyone in Mordor party at the time wanted to know if it was on purpose (cause it was shortly after cep2.1/patch 1.69), and since no one had seen anything on the patch notes, if there was a reason it wasn't mentioned.
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2008, 23:29 »

yeah this topic should be closed. Olle answered the question that scrolls still exist in the realm of GvM you lazy sacks of bones now have to go and find them.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26 July 2008, 12:51 »

I won't blast you Az, I'm not like that.  I think maybe what you say is too far "the other way", but there's a point in there...  Smiley

But yes, I've definitely made my own view here, so I doubt you'll see much more from me on this thread.  Unless we turn it into something funny, off-topic, and miraculously invisible to admins who would move it out of this particular forum section!

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 July 2008, 17:25 »

In case no-one has noticed yet, the scroll use penalty has been lifted. Except for Rogues, they still have the Concentration Check.  disgust

Is that going to be changed again? I am building a high level rogue and I still don't have the points to spend on concentrate  crybaby2
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 July 2008, 07:46 »

Off topic, I guess, sorry but I'm sick and tired of people calling scroll use an exploit.

That is exactly the point Shins and the cause of so much grief before the failure chance was brought in, the failure thing/scroll spamming was discussed alot in game and on the forums and the admin decided to change it as per the majority i presume. I to have a few wizards i could make scrolls with but then if im building a rogue why should i have access to all wizard spells (including summons for easy lvling Charles/Sestitodc  )? Surely this is an exploit  

Rouge should have access to all wizard spells AGAIN look up the rouge description.  They have near magical ablities.

What the difference is they get to cast said spell at the lowest wizard level.  They don't get to be a level 30+ wizard at all but they get to read a scroll which is again slower than just casting it.  Man I'm tired of this arguement.  Olle added a concentration check, which is fine, and that's all there needed to be done with scrolls. 
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 July 2008, 13:13 »

I'm pretty sure that the tech level of middle earth as portrayed in gvm is around 13th century Europe.... then and there most writing was done on vellum or parchment both derived from animal skins...

I haven't found the where blank scrolls drop, or in chests yet. but i have a request can each home city perhaps be populated with a craftsman who will turn our collected animal hide drops into blank scrolls for a fee?

My scroll scriber was a lvl 40 who churns out the now far less useful healing scrolls like greater restoration and mass heal and also stocks my umd toons with energy buffers and divine power. etc.
I am running low on energy buffers and greater restores so i wouldn't mind hunting hides to make into scrolls.
nexus9000
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 July 2008, 17:31 »

One of my pet peeves is things that directly impact players being changed without notice.  If this change had been communicated, there would have been a lot less discussion.

yeah this topic should be closed. Olle answered the question that scrolls still exist in the realm of GvM you lazy sacks of bones now have to go and find them.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 July 2008, 23:01 »

It's "rogue" dammit!

PS.  Anyone remember who said that first?

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 July 2008, 00:10 »

FWIW- If you aren't going to remove craftable spells by scroll or wand, then the factors to be able to use the scroll(on top of UMD) should include the number of caster levels, ability lv(cha, int or wis), spellcraft and a total failure for lv 7-9 spells for all non casters.

I had always looked at UMD as a way to get around class resrtictions on items. Not as a way to be able to become a caster that has no caster levels at all.

The only thing I craft is/was, lesser spell mantle and lesser spell breech. They both can be purchaced and I started using wands when the scroll hit came in. I kinda like that scrolls backfire- except on casters who are mostly caster, but if it keeps the spamming of lv 6-9 spells down, I guess Im good with it. Still, Im more of a proponant of making items that protect from spells than to nerf  things through scripting. Making an item it FAR less likely to glich and cause other issues.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 July 2008, 15:33 »

It's "rogue" dammit!

PS.  Anyone remember who said that first?

Was it mithrandier (or some such) or possibly grizzled dwarf?

Charlie i thought you had retired or something havent seen you online for ages!! I guess we will have to agree to disagree in regards to UMD  Smiley. Personally i would have no problem if mages could just make non-transferable scrolls for themselves or indeed if rogues just used the scrolls purchased from the shops (even if they scrapped the chance of failure).
When i say scroll spamming i mean the high lvl type spells like mords/bigbies/horrids etc (just kidding about the summons  Smiley)stuff that only a high lvl mage should have in his arsenal. But if the majority disagree then i'm easy either way, although i dont think the majority use the forums.

FWIW

Kermy what does that mean? And i agree i only use UMD for class items too  Smiley

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 July 2008, 16:11 »

For What It's Worth.  FWIW...

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 July 2008, 17:06 »

All I hear is blah, blah, blah.

A scroll is a magical devise.

Not sure why everyone is confused with a rogue/assassin/bard being able to use scrolls.

Now i know this game was based loosely on the 3.0 D&D rules where those with the UMD skill could use all sorts of magical devises. And I'm sure someone will chime in with " Well I don't see why we have conform with NWN in our GvM world."

*slams gavel* Case closed.
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 July 2008, 17:28 »

I just realized as creator of the topic, I am able to close it. So everyone, go somewhere else!
There is nothing to see here.  police
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to: