Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 07:03

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  PvP Unfairness Issue
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PvP Unfairness Issue  (Read 10307 times)
Dwarven War Hero
Poster

View Profile
« on: 23 July 2008, 04:36 »

IMHO i dont think that its fair for one team to have a pvp battle and pk their victim and have buddies waiting off screen to come in and take turns pking the same toon over and over and then say its not agianst the rules because they werent in the same screen
ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2008, 08:35 »

I agree, but it is very ahrd to prove that this has happened on purpose, If you were is osgiliath for example you can expect to meet a lot of enemies there that do not necessarily work together.

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2008, 11:04 »

Yeah, that sucks.  I'd hate it too.  But there are jerks out there that do such things.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
nexus9000
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2008, 12:30 »

Something else that happens that makes it appear that way is that often a kill takes place and others come looking for either (or both) party involved.  You can tell where the combat took place by looking at the party listing and then try to track down the opposing faction member that was in the combat.  So, it may appear that someone was waiting in the wings to ice you, but in fact, they may have been 4 or 5 screens over, saw the announcement, and then came running to take you on.

I'm not saying what you describe doesn't happen, but where people are just waiting to do that is pretty rare, in my experience.  Personally, if I see that happening, I'll call them on it.
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2008, 16:07 »

I have to second what nexus said.  Often times, when a pvp encounter as happened, someone in party will proceed to ask which direction the individual has gone, or if they remain in the area.  I've seen(and done so myself) people come from across the world just for pvp whether it be for party vengeance, or simply because they love pvp.  This is especially so since the shouts after pvp were implemented.  With those, all of a sudden people could see just what levels were involved in the pvp, and whether or not that individual was in their range.  Today, with horses, overland travel is that much easier.  Evil

I'd have to say there are very few people who sit in an adjacent area just waiting for pvp to end to strike again.

Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2008, 16:58 »

I'll third what nexus and KK said  Grin. In fact, I do those things they said a lot  Roll Eyes. That is part of what is called "hunting", imo. Evil

(3 smilies in a row, I set up a new personal record!)
« Last Edit: 23 July 2008, 17:34 by Abimael » Logged
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2008, 17:45 »

To continue on with what everyone else has been saying laugh, if I'm in the mood, and a member of my faction is killed by a member of the opposing faction, I might hunt that person down. However, if someone of my faction kills someone of the opposing faction, I won't attack that person unless he initiates combat with me, for at least ten minutes.
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2008, 17:53 »

I have witnessed once, players lining up on the next map to get thier turn on a player. They didn't like the outcome.  aragorn2
Majority, of these outcomes are what's being said in the last few posts. The sharks smell blood and come from all directions.  lurtz

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Rabbac
Poster

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2008, 10:37 »

I only go for shouts if the opposing faction from myself was the winner and he needs to teach me a lesson too  Smiley. On the rare occassions that i stumble on a recently defeated opposition i would ask them if they wanted to fight and allow them to buff up/rest first i dont find it entertaining if hes half dead and no buffs. Just my take on it  Cheesy

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Rade
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2008, 03:17 »

Just as long as they're not "train"ing you while you're still near death I think I'd second the above sentiments. When people run a train there could be malice intended, I've been a part of these once or twice myself - generally it's a matter of spite against someone else (say they do something abusive to the rules or kill a lowbie repeatedly by "accident").
If people are doing it while you're near death, they are not true pvp lovers, there is no challenge and they should be ashamed but aren't - they're likely hitting you out of malice or simply treating you like an exp hive.
PvP should be fun, and this definitely does not encourage a sense of "fun" in the person targeted.

The best solution in my opinion would be to write down those names and get them back when you're bigger, or call your party for help.
Rabbac
Poster

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2008, 11:00 »

Hey its rade, get him everyone  wink

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2008, 11:04 »

Hey, if he's playing Gondor, you'll have to deal with us too.   police  Not that that won't be difficult, most of our toons are pants at PvP.   Roll Eyes

"You wish to do harm to one who has helped others at risk to himself.  Nordom will attempt to stop you.  Probability of success, slight."  -  Nordom.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Dwarven War Hero
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2008, 12:22 »

ok

it looks like i didnt explain things when i first posted this topic enough, mainly because i didnt want to name names and i still wont (mostly because i only remember a few of them).

anyways, this is what happened; i went to do the kell quest and after i went into the cave and killed all the bad guys someone from the other team came in, saw that i was near death and took advantage of the situation and pk'ed me, ok, fine so i was pawned, nothing i can do about it but he just stood there for about 2 minutes before i asked him if he was going to rez me, he said in a minute, after about one more minute he rezed me then ran out. ok fine, i try to rest but cant because someone else comes in and guess what. pk time, this happens 3 more times before i get fed up log off.

seams kinda funny to me that so many would "Smell Blood" as some have said and run all the way acrossed the world just to do this

not being into pvp myself i see no advantage to this, i lost no items for them to take, only thing i can think of is if they get xp for this but i dont know because i dont pvp if i can avoid it (and when i cant i always loose lol)

but anyways thats the way it happened, doesnt seam fair to me but it looks like some of you guys are all for it
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2008, 12:56 »

On this one I fully agree.  It's a pity that this is something that is not easily provable (consistently), as I think it comes under the anti-griefing thing.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2008, 19:15 »

I agree with what Rade said.  The fun is in the challenge and cheap kills lead to hard feelings.

Don't let me steer the topic completely off with this but DWar Hero mentions something I want considered.  TOO MANY TIMES I HAVE LOST PVP TO HAVE THE PERSON SIT THERE AND REST AND TAKE THEIR TIME SLOWLY REBUFFING BEFORE REZZING.  If there are no other npcs around currently threatening you, get the person up quickly please.  Just do it, even if they've been rude to you.  If there is discussion to be had, get'em up then do it.  You should not have to ask after 30sec, "um, are you going to rez me?" while they continue to stand there.

I once had someone tell me that there might be more Mords coming so they wanted to be ready.  While that could be true it isn't reason enough to delay rezzing for 3-4-5min.  I have also had it done to me by newer players who thought it was acceptable because regular players had been doing it to them.  My game time is shorter than it's ever been and I refuse to spend my time lying on the ground because someone feels like I should.
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2008, 00:33 »

Easy solution- Extend the 10 minutes to include the whole server unless he agrees to a duel with some one. Im sure accidents will still happen but that would greatly minimize the chances of getting a train pulled on a crappy build.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Turril
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2008, 04:05 »

Was thinking the same thing as i read this kerm.....DWH  u need to pm me the names of the guys u do remember doing this. this goes for anyone else that has this happen to u. That kinda behaviour wont be tolerated by myself.   Consider it a rule now.......YOU MAY NOT INNIATE PVP WITH SOMEBODY THAT WAS JUST KILLED IN PVP FOR 10 MINS UNLESS THEY AGREE TO IT .
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2008, 04:25 »

And if they were the killer?  I'd like to think that if they're unwise enough to remain in the area, that retribution from the loser's faction should be swift and painful.

Turril
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2008, 04:41 »

LOL  if u were the killer  rezz em quick and get the heck outta dodge.
destrug

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 August 2008, 18:25 »

I have been killed by effy's because i cant innitiate combat. (rolled a 1 vs Implosion, their 1st action)                                                                                                                                     This new rule will give the person just killed a huge advantage. She is now immune from attack for 10 min. With no restriction on her attacking.
  With most vets having item superiority over me, i try to gain any advantage that i can. I must admit that i would probably abuse this loophole until the rule was clarified.                                                                                                                                   Can I get a clarification before I use this against an innocent victim and it causes an ingame arguement? argue

Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2008, 21:31 »

I have been killed by effy's because i cant innitiate combat. (rolled a 1 vs Implosion, their 1st action)                                                                                                                                     This new rule will give the person just killed a huge advantage. She is now immune from attack for 10 min. With no restriction on her attacking.
  With most vets having item superiority over me, i try to gain any advantage that i can. I must admit that i would probably abuse this loophole until the rule was clarified.                                                                                                                                   Can I get a clarification before I use this against an innocent victim and it causes an ingame arguement? argue

Aahz is a tough cookie. Most of the time it takes at least 2 people to kill him. Then there are those times when you think to yourself... No one is gonna be in the crossroads. There never is anyone there... And then you get owned by a 20 something because you wanted to save buffing for the last second. It happens. When I play Aahz, There are very few things I fear. PC or NPC. Build better- you shouldnt fear an effy if you are prepared. Now... there are a few exceptions- the 3 year guys who have all of the uber gear and can own anyone with less time in.

I'm going to piss off more than a couple of people by saying this, but this server is ballanced toward the guys that have been here and the gap keeps getting bigger. Older players have most of the uber gear so they get bored and want more- devs make more and design it for the guys who already have everything making it impossible for the new guys to catch up unless they are in the clique. Period. So PvP losses to effy's dont always mean you have a crappy toon. It could just mean that you are part of the in crowd yet.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2008, 23:31 »

Not going to piss me off on this one.  I don't quite, personally, 100% agree with the first paragraph, but the second is spot on.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
destrug

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2008, 01:28 »

sorry I was not more clear on this kermit. I was using the effy thing as an example. A better example might be: 2 level 20's meet in osgiliath. player "a"  was killed less than 10 min ago in PvP fight. Although player "b" had nothing to do with that fight, he CANNOT initiate combat. player "a" now has an advantage, being able to decide how, when and if a fight between these 2 will happen. Getting the drop on an opponent seems to be a big advantage on trhis server(really in an battle). sorry for the confusion.
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2008, 01:41 »

I'm fairly sure of this, although not 100% because I haven't checked the rules specifically before posting this, but I believe the person killed is also supposed to remain out of combat for the 10 minutes.  I know for a fact that if the killed re-attacks and dies again, he's to be left to rot at the discretion of the killer, so I would see you would be best off waiting your 10 minutes and going about your business instead of seeking to abuse ANY loophole.

ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2008, 12:01 »

The rules indeed state that you may kill them and decide not to res them, but I think it was initially thought of in case a player attacks the same player over and over again or when players do not obey the winners orders. But I think it would be for the best to extend this rule to every combat you might initiate, that way you take an additional risk when you initiate during your protected period, makes you think twice before attacking.

I foresee now only the problem with the first playing stating that the enemy initiated combat at 9:59 mins after the last loss, while the other stated 10:00 mins. So please be reasonable, don't expect everyone to know when the 10 min period is over, and don't go looking for trouble in that period.

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: