Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 15:03

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Suggested change: Make "unpopular" weapons more interesting.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suggested change: Make "unpopular" weapons more interesting.  (Read 5687 times)
nexus9000
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« on: 27 July 2008, 20:44 »

What I mean by this, is that there seems to me to be a heavy focus on certain weapons on the servers.  So, bastard sword is popular because of Force and Sonic Blades (to name just 2), long sword is semi-popular due to Star Blades (although other high end long swords choices are limited), and scythe is popular with WMs due to the high end scythe from Isengard (name escapes me at the moment).

I think it would be kool to have more interesting attributes on other weapons.  As an example, the best war hammer you can get is a Mass Driver and that doesn't compete with the above mentioned weapons.   And there are many other weapons that hardly get used because the high end weapons simply aren't there (or at least I don't know about them, which is certainly possible).

I'd also like to see weapons have more interesting attributes in general.  Like have a hammer that has a chance of having the effect of Balagarn's Iron Horn on a hit.  Or have a weapon that has the chance of causing a Dismissal (and not at a lowly level 12) against a summoned creature or outsider.  Or perhaps have a chance of causing a Great Thunderclap on hit (similar to first suggestion).  These are just a few ideas.

In any case, more diversity in the high end weapons would make things more interesting.
AzQuack Reborn
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2008, 22:01 »

I agree 100%, particularly since I am a more roleplay oriented player, I try to make toons with some sort of overall image, and being limited by a low number of effective weapons is rather annoying. For example, scimitars are no good for PvP simply because of the lack of good ones that deliver damage that isnt easily blocked, along with the perfectly good examples given above.

It wouldnt be difficult, whether it came to changing existing weapons or creating new ones, it wouldnt matter all that much.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2008, 22:54 »

Agreed.  Greater weapon variety is cool.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2008, 00:37 »

I have seen several "new" weapons. A club call "The Switch", A Scythe that has Vorpal, and more. I know that the staff do work on this but there are more pressing needs at the moment. Reducing lag, inputting the new landscapes, re-inventing the scope of lesser used areas... So it's not a fast proccess, but it is being dealt with.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2008, 07:52 »

Yes, in the old forum, I pleaded to upgrade 2handed weaponry and monk gloves. Such cool weaponry is hardly being used cause on the server, it hard to get away with not using a shield. I've had baragor's axe for a year before I traded it away cause I could only come up with hips to compensate for the lack of AC

A 2handed (including double) weapon does not only mean you cannot use a shield for ac, but also means you cannot get the cool additional magical properties of a shield like IGMS protection, to name one handy feature. So in order to make 2handers more interesting, it would be nice to see additional features on the 2h weaponry to either compensate for protection or otherwise added effect (nice con bonus, DR, IGMS immune, elem resistance, save bonus, vamp regen, regen, +6-7 weaponry even? Just some thought from the top of my hat)

This goes double for monk gloves as for monks, they use up a shield slot, a weapon slot and the bracer/glove slot.

ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2008, 10:18 »

Not sure about IGMS protection, otherwise there'll just be a stampede of sheep making two-handers.  There are other ways to negate or lessen the effect of IGMS.  But other that, nice ideas I think.  I like Vamp Regen....

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2008, 15:00 »

This is an old gripe and i agree with nex it does make alot of weapon choice obsolete.

I would add that a revamp of the stuff the scavvy sells would be a good idea. Perhaps only have a certain item available after each reset (which i believe used to happen with sequencer robes) or just some new stock ever now and then, hes been flogging the same stuff for years laugh

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2008, 19:13 »

I have a toon in place that utilizes the twobladed sword (Hillary Clinton). This weapon is keen, with vamp regen, and acid and negative damage. Her build is based upon dealing mass amounts of damage before she falls over dead. Her build will get 8attacks a round. There are weapons out there with those special enhancements on them. And since she already has a LOW AC she is IGMS immune with no shield. You have to sacrifice some things if you want a specific type of weapon to work.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2008, 00:33 »

For starters, there aren't good heavy flails out there (at least not one that I know of), and I've always wanted to make a undead hunter with one...
Rade
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2008, 00:47 »

A fair point, there are neglected weapons, but really I don't know if you play the server nexus9000.
I mean, I've seen you log in, but to what server? I certainly don't see many weaponmasters running amok with the "high end scythe from Isengard", nor do I see more bastardswords than longswords  laugh
All jokes bud, all jokes....

Most weapons have a "good" version if not a great one, the neglected weapons that come to mind in particular are heavy flail, light flail, morningstar, shuriken (lolz!), light crossbow, and I'm sure I'm missing another or more. Regardless, the Developers realize this and you'll notice a plethora of new weaponry that was previously neglected comming to surface. Recent examples: handaxe, battleaxe, heavy flail, heavy crossbow, and trident.
The effort is there, it is just going to take the community some time to realize where they are and for them to get into mass circulation.

Cheers to all you dual-club/handaxe-wielding aces!
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2008, 09:59 »

One of the 2 new battleaxes has already been removed - must admit it was a bit uber but that only leaves one other that I know of that is matchable to the number of high end swords available.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2008, 10:03 by -firecracker- » Logged
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2008, 18:22 »

If that's in reference to the YinYang battleaxe, it is still available, it has just been nerfed. =P

pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2008, 18:30 »

There is a really good morningstar, Gondor only btw.

And the battleaxe that is sold in Edoras is likely the best purchaseable weapon outside of the insane shortbow in bandit lair.

Seems to be some confusion also. Anyone that thinks the MAss Driver (+5, keen, 2d12 bludgeon, 20 mass crits) doesn't compete is obviously on crack. That is a weapon that in the hands of a decent ftr/wm type will crit for 200 PHYSICAL. My wm crits Pel King with a starblade for about 95, the wm I run with crits him with a mass driver for about 165. I crit Eomer for about 30, he would likely hit him for 150+.

I would leave any on hit spell castings as boss only No Drop weapons.

Just a matter of putting the scrolls down and exploring a bit I think. Focus on pvp and you aren't gonna be finding much through farming or exploring.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2008, 19:13 »

If that's in reference to the YinYang battleaxe, it is still available, it has just been nerfed. =P

Ah, didn't know - I assumed it had disappeared completely as I got a different class of weapon in return, but am happy enough with that laugh

And the battleaxe that is sold in Edoras is likely the best purchaseable weapon outside of the insane shortbow in bandit lair.

I must admin - I try to stay away from acid weapons - I think quite a lot of high level bosses & nps have acid DR because of the shield mage farmers  Sad
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2008, 19:59 »

You want uber light hammers and awesome sickles?  Shocked
 How about a club of great pwnage like bullroarer tooks club that he used to knock off the goblin kings head and send it into a rabbit hole simultaniously winning the battle of the south farthing and inventing the game of golf?  hello2

guess who will use em..... dragons and shifters.

Id rather play a scimmy wm with a moderate wep like a carving knife by   than a wm with the light hammer of uber pwnage with 2d12 bludge and 2d12 divine  and keen and mass crit 20
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: