Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 05:38

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)˛.

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  is the sky going to fall? (Server Wipe Question)
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: is the sky going to fall? (Server Wipe Question)  (Read 17749 times)
Lief
Poster

Plays: Gondor

View Profile
« on: 06 August 2008, 15:38 »

Howdy all,

While we were still in the old forums at the "other" place, there was discussion about a server wipe owing to the release of the 1.69 patch (and the new cep) and an interest in lowering the power of all the items and bosses. Indeed, handing in items requires player cooperation (cf. the acu's that were given as presents) and DM willingness and ability (i.e. time availability) to spend the time. In any event, if I recall correctly, Turril closed the thread and mentioned that there MIGHT be a server wipe in the autumn 2008. Can I get clarification from those in the know regarding this point? Will it happen? If so, when - e.g. can you pin it down to a month or even a week?

Cheers,

Lief

<RADE:> Hopefully the subject "A Server Wipe" answers some of this speculation and the discussion can move there.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2008, 19:36 by Rade » Logged
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2008, 15:58 »

Sssshh!  I'm already gonna be in trouble as it is.....

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Dwarven War Hero
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2008, 00:21 »

i hope your right

a server wipe would be most welcome

im betting everyone just cant wait to get rid of those same old tired characters theyve been laboring over for weeks and months and years

and just think of what it would do for all of those who want their characters deleted.....

i believe i speak for everyone when i say that we are all looking forward to the server wipe

hello2
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2008, 00:27 »

I hope you're all beeing sarcastic about it...
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2008, 01:06 »

Well I've said before I wouldn't mind a server wipe.  It would certainly make things interesting, imho

ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2008, 09:20 »

My first comment was re: "presents"....   As for an actual wipe, I have no problem with one.  If I wish to "preserve" a character, I can export it, love it, hug it and call it George.

For me, the only trucky quuestion is what rulles changes/balance overhauls to bring in with a start over.  If it was up to me, that is.  Which it isn't.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2008, 10:23 »

I'll go for a server wipe too.. Sounds like fun  huh

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2008, 17:57 »

A server wipe should only occur if there are defined purposes that cannot otherwise be accomplished without it.  Having one simply to make everyone start over alone isn't enough.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2008, 09:11 »

Turril already outlined the probability of a start-over coming on the AR forums before we all left there.  It seemed to be more a question of when, not if, at the last post.  As for the reasons, there were those too; which included things difficult or effectively impossible to implement in an operational environment.

Personally, I wish it would hurry up and happen or be shelved as an idea entirely.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2008, 18:28 »

A server wipe should only occur if there are defined purposes that cannot otherwise be accomplished without it.  Having one simply to make everyone start over alone isn't enough.

Well, that's some relieve. I would *not* appreciate a wipe
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2008, 07:16 »

Personally, I wish it would hurry up and happen or be shelved as an idea entirely.
The anticipation is killer, but I imagine you have to consider people like Rodriquez who don't want to lose it all. So you question, is it worth it to reset everything? Can people be reimbursed properly? Are there alternatives to a total whipe - such as deleting old characters or stripping every item off a toon when it logs in and setting some variable so that it does not happen next time they log in? Will people leave? Will people come back? Etcetera.

I imagine similar thoughts would be running through anyone's mind just before they hit the buttons.
Dwarven War Hero
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2008, 11:44 »

allthough for me personaly a server wipe would be welcome; ive played on other server where i had some quite good characters going and then a server wipe kills everything i worked all those months to achieve and i get so upset with the administrator for doing this to me that i quit playing there, as well as more than half the player base and you know what? you can now find those servers umong the countless multitude that allways has 0 players or has vanished all together

imho a server wipe is the best way to kill GvM
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2008, 14:51 »

Well, it has been in the offing for a while....  *shrug*  There's always the option for a proper poll.  In-game.  The system is there.

I've seen wipes before.  And sometimes they are indeed the beginning of the end.  And sometimes they "refresh" things.  Perhaps there can be a non-combat souvenir from old characters?  I've seen Beta souvenirs enter "retail" MMORPGs.....

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2008, 15:00 »

If some big major changes, like item system, needs a server wipe, I *could* agree with it. If it is just for the sake of it, I don't, specially because I really wouldn't like to level "fun-at-40-but-extremely-boring-to level" builds again.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2008, 04:09 »

i hope your right

a server wipe would be most welcome

im betting everyone just cant wait to get rid of those same old tired characters theyve been laboring over for weeks and months and years

and just think of what it would do for all of those who want their characters deleted.....

i believe i speak for everyone when i say that we are all looking forward to the server wipe

hello2

Your nice and all, but I hate to be the one to say it...

NEVER speak for me again. I think a server wipe would blow, and I'd perm leave the server.

Have an Evil Day.
Dwarven War Hero
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2008, 05:06 »

Your nice and all, but I hate to be the one to say it...

NEVER speak for me again. I think a server wipe would blow, and I'd perm leave the server.

wow
harsh
all i can say is:
bye
since i dont know ya you wont be missed

p.s. you need to get a clue on how to read a joke
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 August 2008, 03:35 »

IMHO- it would be the best way to delete all of the unwanted items. Saves from having to write a lag causing, onenter delete script.

There's your good reason Tor- Not that Im for a wipe, but if anyone is actually looking for a reason- that's it

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2008, 12:26 »

wow
harsh
all i can say is:
bye
since i dont know ya you wont be missed

Umm.... Well... Are you alright? My one comment on the forums made you leave the server? Ya know, If I was disrespecting you on the server, fine. But I havena't been on for 3 WEEKS!!!

Have an Evil Day.
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2008, 23:05 »

A server wipe is for sure going to happen in the near future.
klixon
Poster

ooooh... shiney things!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2008, 23:25 »

why?  Cry

Anything can be interpreted to mean anything.
Especially since it's the same word.
Snake
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

When there is Light....There is Darkness.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2008, 23:54 »

server balance is fubar is why Shocked

"If god wanted you to live, he wouldn't have created me."
HazMatt
Poster

Plays: Against monsters

Turn on your geiger counter...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2008, 00:37 »

Actually, YOU need to get a clue on how to make a joke on the internet.  There are these things called smilies... like ;) and Smiley and Cheesy.  Your jumping up and down smily just looks like you're super stoked about the wipe.  In your case, you probably should have used ;) or even said (J/K!!!) at the end of your post.  I didn't know you were joking when I read your post either.

As for a server wipe, I personally wouldn't mind a complete wipe because it will remind me that it's just a game (remember how involved I used to be; then you will understand that sentiment).  But if we were really going to do a wipe, I would advocate for just deleting inventory contents and leaving peoples' characters and their levels intact.  So basically when you log in after the wipe, you'd see all of your characters at the levels you left them, but their inventory would be empty.

That approach would perhaps placate the folks who worked really hard on hard-to-level builds, and it would help restore some item balance at the same time.  I think it would be fun to start from scratch again, knowing that everyone else is in the same boat.

Haven't played in ages…
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2008, 00:55 »

Fine, except for one major thing.  One of the things that is (or was before AR became historty for us) being mooted with a start over is to limit the ability to skill sink unlimited points at the level of maturity of a build.  E.g. a rogue or fighter type level at 40 for Discipline or UMD or whatever.

By keeping existing characters you'd preclude the fairness of such a change applying to everyone.  Hardcore players do well enough already vs more casual ones.  They don't need a cache of uber historics to much up the server.

That is, assuming anti skill sink gets implemented with a start-over.  I suspect it would.  After all, if we're all going to bite the bullet and play after a wipe, wouldn't it make sense to do all the blanket system changes in one fell swoop at that time?

If the DMs had the time, maybe each player could get a "level-up" for x # of lvl 40 toons they have?  There are other options to try and placate vets and other older players.  But whatever happens, you can't please all the people all the time.  We just have to hope they get it right.  The customer is not always right either.  Smiley

Good luck to us all.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
destrug

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2008, 06:25 »

Does a "server wipe" have to be permanent? Cant the vault be saved on another PC? Turril could restart with an empty vault. Then we could go back if the majority of people and/or the DMs wish to. Everyone seems to be speaking in absolutes here. there may be solutions to problems that we have not thought of and cant concieve of because we need more information. Could someone please outline what the "percieved" problem is, or the real problem? Sorry if I am re-asking a question but i was not a member of AR forum, only looked at it a day or 2 before it went down. I am against a wipe now, but am not above changing my mind if the reasons are presented to me logicaly. Although a wipe would benefit me greatly. puting me on a more level playing field with vets. Thus increasing the number of Gondor deaths exponentially. Be careful what you wish for, a wipe might let the genie out of Pandoras box.
locmer
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2008, 11:18 »

Hi guys,

There has been a lot of talk about a server wipe on {AR} and here.
Talks about change and balance have been topics of excitement and fear.
Some agree and some don't.
So here is my catch on this one:

1. Doesn't a server wipe means... a server wipe? So why should there be an option of making a level 40 toon just for the sake of easing the pain? Or saving some items for that matter?
If we are gonna start over, then lets start over. Evil

2. I'm with Lief and Shins on this one. If a server wipe needs to occur, lets get it over with or cast it aside. I'm aware that these these things need planning especially if mayor changes need to be installed. But anticipating on something this big is kinda frustrating sometimes. So giving us a clue on how this topic stands would be most welcome.

3. Personally I wouldn't like one. I don't know why exactly. I haven't been on the server as long as guys like rodriquez, but I feel this server has some history. Something we almost lost earlier this year. And I know it struck fear in most of us. (yes Skeevie you too  laugh).
To wipe it all away would be a shame if there were other ways to implement changes.

Anyways, if middle earth does explode and is born anew, I'll be there.
I hope you guys will too...

The biggest risk is not taking one.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: