Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 11:51

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  3, 2, 1 ... lift off !!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 3, 2, 1 ... lift off !!!  (Read 19517 times)
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« on: 27 October 2013, 23:22 »

So we have made contact! ...  headbang

Progress so far:

1. firestarter and I are trying to make all the initial and necessary things (like installing nwnserver and access rights) in order.

2. Right now im reading my ass off   read2... how to make a great working and stable nwn-server on linux.

3. I'll make a dynamic dns name for our server pointing to my ip-adress and going to automate the possible needed updates of my dynamic ip-adress

more to come ....

wrspct
Grey

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2013, 15:40 »

Next stage:

1. made a dynamic ip adress
1. investigated and configured all necessary linux things
2. installed and tested bare nwnserver with success
3. mailed firecracker about progress

coming soon:
report about firecracker's progress on my server.

oooow exciting!
 Shocked

Bazzbas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2013, 22:05 »

This is great news
 :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2013, 01:17 »

I'm glad the threads about resurrecting the mod have led somewhere. Thank you Greydeath, Firestarter and others who've helped get this done! I was afraid they were starting to stagnate there for the past couple months. Unfortunately I've become very busy this fall, but if the GvM server does get back on it's feet I'll try to find some time to log back in.

Also as an aside, has anyone heard from the former host (Turril)? Last I knew there hadn't been a peep. I hope everything is okay with him/her.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2013, 06:08 »

Sounds promising.  Thanks for the work.  Every once in a while, if it works out, my daughter and I will stop in and run around for a few.
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2013, 11:03 »

Glad to see this works out, did you guys include the build_tester as well?
Just in case the vault doesn't transfer and we all have to make new toons boohoo...

Keep'em rollin'
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2013, 19:15 »

@Ace-of-Spades - I did email Turril a few weeks ago about the possibility of getting the player vault as well as asking if all was well. Unfortunately as of yet I have not heard anything back.

@Terrorble - good to hear, we'll maintain your DM login status even if you just plan on just logging in as a player Smiley

@Chaoz - is that the tester within the mod you mean? It is something I didn't check out actually but can do that this week.
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2013, 21:04 »

Hey guys! I've been lurking and watching the status of this, because I don't like to get my hopes up, but I'll be sure to pop in every now and then to play a few rounds now that I have NWN reinstalled.

A couple of suggestions for the build tester - if you do include it, or if you make another one (they're not too tricky, really), can you make sure to put the death-room far enough away that you can always rest? The one we have atm has problems if the NPCs follow you to the fence, IIRC. Can we also put the fighter widget in the shops alongside everything else? It can be hard to get one to test it when your build isn't optimised for tanking an all-out assault from mages, archers, hitters, sneaks, and druids - it currently drops from an NPC (I think his name is bandit leader) in the fighting part of the tester.

That aside, this is sounding great! The effort you guys have put in to making sure everything is in place and works is...well it gives me the warm fuzzles. S'nice.  icon_salut

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2013, 22:55 »

Great to see these kind of reactions, love them  icon_thumleft

Now some "rebuilding-story" progress:
Today Firecracker did quite some successfull tests on my server  !!  :pompom:

Still lots of things needs to be done, before we even can think about testing ... but we getting closer to our mutual goal  Grin

hope to tell y'all soon about more success stories

to be continued ...

Yoghurth
Poster

<3 125 <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2013, 23:18 »

Good job guys!!!  Worship Worship

Lets get all the  :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: out of the closet because it seems, i have to dance for Grey at his doorstep  Shocked Shocked Shocked and do the GVM cheer i made for you guys.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2013, 16:20 »

Hahaha, you always make me laugh Yoghy  Cheesy

But be prepared to keep youre promise because its looks pretty good so far  headbang
... a lot of progress has been made already.

story so far:

1. Did a lot of upgrades on my server ... never knew it was that old already   Embarrassed
so I could install some stuff needed for testing.
2. copied CEP things
3. figured out how to keep nwserver running even after breaking linux shell connection.
4. firecracker did lots of great stuff (like figuring out server options and repaired "loading module error".
5. firecracker also did lots of tests with success  thumbsup
6. did own tests too and man oh man  ..... cant describe the great feeling seeing "mad wizards pocket" again !!  drunken_smilie binkybaby glasses9 icon_sunny
We r nearly there it seems ...

Now need to arrange backup processes / server options / reboot possibilities (automatic and manual)
and probably more stuff like toonvault

Its looks Yoghy needs to arrange a nice dance for firecracker and me  :pompom:  Tongue

more to come ....

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2013, 16:36 »

BTW.

Never realized exactly how much effort got into this fanastic mod !!!
OMG! ...  what a legendary peace of work this one is ...  Shocked
Total and utterly Respect (with a capital R) for all those scripters! ...  notworthy
I am too new here to know all of them ... but did speak to Rodriques (he's around here much longer than I am) today and now I know Terrorble, ollebroc, firecracker and Turril are some of them ... but I dont see them around no more for a long time ... Terrorble and ofcourse firecracker I did see and I know Terrorble did a great job lately by recovering some files for us and firecracker is the main rescuer of GvM right now  ... so @Terror and @firecracker ... cheers! thnx! and total Respect! well earned m8s!!  
occasion14
... WOW covers it at the moment because im speechless with aww

same ofcourse to all of those who made the mod for what it is today ... plze let me/us "newbees" know the names of those scripters so we can tribute them at least in another topic and let them become well known legends in "the NWN-world"
(they are already ofcourse, but I dont know if its mentioned specifically somewhere)

« Last Edit: 07 November 2013, 23:14 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2013, 14:19 »

When testing the DM client stuff the other night I also took the opportunity to do some basic server load testing by chucking a whole load of NPCs into the DM playground and letting them fight it out.

Will probably need a few more players to connect for a proper test, but apart from the odd lag spike (which is probably just my connection) it was pretty smooth.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2013, 16:41 »

Once the server is back up and running, should we plan on having to connect to the IP remotely? Or will the NWN Server List (http://yourserverlist.com/index.php?juego=nwn1) be updated to show it as well? The server being visibly online may help bring in old and new players.
Wake of death
admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2013, 21:11 »

FC,

I would say post the IP here and also put the server up on that list.

Just my idea.

Wake

Thanks
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2013, 08:32 »

Good suggestions Wake and Ace.
ip (dns) at least will be announced here ... when we are ready testing

Story of rebuilding continues: ...
A minor setback  BangHead
I thought I knew enough of linux ... but appears I dont  crybaby2

Im trying to get a little shell script working that restarts server when it sees its not up-and-running (did a little "googling" to find this one and modified it a bit)
But all I get is that's it keeps "saying" things as "syntax error", "not understood" or "unexpected end of file in line x and errors like these.
Almost looks like the script sees all spaces at the end of lines as an unknown command and don't understand most of the commands I use.
The only bit of the script that does work, is the server's main starting sequence ...
But thats not enough, especially because I need to make another script for backups for automating weekly (or daily? or every 3 days? ... or?) reboots and backups.
And that one needs restart script too.

Im not seeing my error ...
I tried lots of things even removed every unnecessary spaces, but with no luck at all.
Tonight I'm seeing a good friend of mine who is a "linux guru"  gandalf2 gandalf maybe he can see whats wrong with it or maybe someone else can help me out here?
here's the contents of the script I'm trying to use:

#!/bin/bash
# startnwnserver.sh
# This file starts the nwserver as a backgound process.
NWNDIR=/var/games/nwnserver
NWNPIPE=$NWNDIR/nwserver.pipe
NWNLOGFILE=$NWNDIR/nwserver.log
MODULE=lotr_gondor_vs_mordor
SERVERNAME="LOTR:Gondor_Vs_Mordor"
PORT=5121
MAXCLIENTS=20
MAXLEVEL=40
PVP=2
GAMETYPE=9
DMPASSWORD=imnottellingya
if [ ! -d "$NWNDIR" ]; then
  echo "$NWNDIR is not a directory."
  exit 1
fi
 cd $NWNDIR
if [ ! -p "$NWNPIPE" ]; then
  echo "$NWNPIPE does not exist.";
  mkfifo $NWNPIPE
fi
# Command to run
RESTART=./nwserver -module $MODULE -port $PORT -maxclients $MAXCLIENTS -maxlevel $MAXLEVEL -pvp $PVP -gametype $GAMETYPE -dmpassword $DMPASSWORD -servername $SERVERNAME < $NWNPIPE >> $NWNLOGFILE
echo > $NWNPIPE
#line under is the only thing that does work ... all others doesnt
#./nwserver -module "lotr_gondor_vs_mordor" -servername "LOTR:Gondor_Vs_Mordor" -dmpassword imnottellingya -port 5121 -maxclients 20 -maxlevel 40 -pvp 2 -gametype 9
#path to pgrep command
#pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists
#the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout.
#All the criteria have to match
PGREP="/usr/bin/pgrep"
# daemon name
NWNDAEMON="nwserver"
# find pid
$PGREP ${NWNDAEMON}
# if not running
if [ $? -ne 0 ] then
# restart
$RESTART
fi

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2013, 11:04 »

Yep once it is back up and stable I will add it to the various servers lists (I think there are at least 3 worth adding it to).

I will also create a new sticky thread here with the IP - however I don't have the permission to do that so will have to get someone else to sticky it. I would actually like to tidy of the various sticky posts here too.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2013, 17:04 »

Wow!!
I got an email from Turril !!
he's still alive ... thankgod for that!

But indeed bad news his drive broke and is in "repairland" with a friend of him ... unfortunately this friend will not be back for about 2 weeks.
so my hope is that we will have the server up and running real soon and that we perhaps can restore some things on there after that ... if Turril's friend is successfull that is.

keep youre fingers crossed people!  help
« Last Edit: 03 November 2013, 18:27 by GreyDeth » Logged

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2013, 08:24 »

Weird script errors in control now.

Most stupid thing ... friend of mine (the linux guru) did make a script a lot like the one I already wanted to use. But he did it in linux with vi (linux standard editor) ...
and everything worked fine!... no problem there whatsoever. Shocked
He had not much time unfortunately, so script is still under construction ... but I did discover what was wrong in the first place.
I used a windows editor intstead of a linux editor ... and that was causing old MS-DOS-like "end of lines" and these are the ones linux doesnt understand! Roll Eyes

were back in business!
more to come soon  Grin

Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2013, 10:38 »

Ha, good to hear Turril is alive and well  Smiley Is he planning to host the server again once the disk is repaired or was he planning to transfer The Sacret Vault of Endless Farming to you, Grey?
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2013, 23:13 »

Hey Rod Smiley

Dunno really ... he just wrote a short email about the diskdrive crash and that the server is dead because of that.
I asked him if the vault could be given to -fc- or me, should the data be restored ... but then again maybe he wants to run the server again if the data is back ... thats a good one didn't think of that.
Personally I hope he will be back again ... if not ... I'm here to take care of a running server instead and will arrange that some of us (at least firestarter) get regularly backups of all important stuff too.

More updates about the "rebuild" phase:
Ive given up on making scripts for auto rebooting and making backups for now, because I'm having a lot to do in RL the next coming days. I'm getting back to that as soon as possible
In the meantime I can do things like backing up and/or rebooting manually if needed and so can firestarter remotely.

server is up and running for some days now and a happy few of us are testing the server already.
(among others: -fc-, me and Yoghy, thnx for that btw Yoghy hello2 ... I know youre not planning to come back playing ... but still got hopes you change youre mind some day  drunken_smilie)
Have asked a few others too ... but they havn't got time to do the testing till now, but I hope they can get some time for this real soon.

-fc- and me already talked a little about the option to organizing a test/"new server start" event.
So hopefully more news about this one real soon too!
After that we can start having fun again with our GvM server!! headbang

« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 11:27 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2013, 18:09 »

Should Turril get the vault back from the failed HD, but no longer wants to host, it should be easy to transfer the vault over. Just need to log the account into the server which will create the player directory, then the vault files can be copied into that that player directory. Would have to do this on a player-to-player bases as some may want to start from fresh anyway.
Zoltar_
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2013, 02:16 »

so,wich is the IP of the server?,is online now?
cosmic_pariah
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2013, 03:14 »

hell yeah people!
I am hoping we can get something playable live soon.
I look forward to playing again.
thanks to everyone who working to get back from the dead.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2013, 10:56 »

I hope we (that is in particular firestarter  Tongue) can arrange in the coming days (week) a test event, what hopefully also a "new server start" event will be.
(Depending on the results of this testing)

So yeah soon real soon the server will be continuously up-and-running for everyone
 Grin  :pompom:
« Last Edit: 09 November 2013, 11:10 by GreyDeth » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: