Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 17:06

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  GvM website and forum business
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GvM website and forum business  (Read 5116 times)
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« on: 25 October 2013, 03:15 »

So I was just thinking about this...how/where/who host the forums?  I would hate for it to go down also and with it any chance of getting the server back up.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2013, 10:35 »

-firecracker- (Terrorble too) awesome to hear youre efforts r getting into the right direction! :pompom:

My offer still stands: Im more than willing to run the server ... Im running Linux 24/7 though, so I hope that will be no problem? Otherwise I'll adept and make a windows-server too if needed.
remote access can be granted ofcourse, no problem there

We can work our way up from there to resurrect a great working GvM server, with combined efforts we surely will succeed.

And yeah also a very good one soulster: ... who runs this forum ... that one needs a backup plan very soon ... otherwise we'll end up pretty bad with everything arond this project.
Think its best to make this subject a different topic though.

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Wake of death
admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2013, 17:04 »

Hey everyone,

As far as I know ManiacK is the one in charge of the site. I do not know if he owns it but he takes care of it.

If something where to happen I am sure he would pop in and say something.

Just my 2 cents.

Wake

Thanks
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2013, 17:44 »

Having admin access to the forum would be useful but I have no idea who can manage any of that (these forums should have an easy manual backup option).

According to whois, the domain name will not expire until Feb 2014 and even then it may auto-renew or be renewed by the owner.
Noruas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2013, 22:11 »

I have admin access on GvM1 part of the forum...
Loc'mer and some other deputies might have access too.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2013, 22:16 by Noruas » Logged

ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nasg thrakatuluk,
agh burzum ishi krimpatul
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2013, 08:32 »

@Noruas ... great and glad to hear   Smiley
But how about the backup? and how about restoration plans if all fails here?

And plze someone make this subject about backup questions of this forum another topic (and plze move those posts about this subject to this topic)
I think its getting all a bit "poluted" otherwise. huh

Wake of death
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2013, 21:35 »

Hi,

I got a reply as to the state of these forums.

The site costs about 30 Eros a year.

The host backs up the forums. I do not know if we can get a copy
of the back up but I don't think it would be too much to ask.

Hope this helps a bit.

Wake

Thanks
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2013, 15:58 »

Great info ... thnx Wake  icon_thumleft

But that means someone pays 30 euos for us all each year?
Who's that? and dont we need to contribute? ... I dont mind paying at least 10 euro (even more if needed)

And a copy of the backup ... yeah maybe thats something worth too ... who can arrange that?

Wake of death
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2013, 16:00 »

Hi,

I will ask where/who we pay and also ask about a back-up being sent to someone or a few someones.

Wake

Thanks
ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2013, 11:53 »

In a hole under the ground lived a ManiacK.... ow wait, this is not a place to quote the hobbit.

Hi all, some may remember me from back in the days that me and my friends terrorized the forces of gondor, anyway we could. Some might not recognize me, well that is possible since last we played is like 7 years ago. We were also the people behind the ambitious idea to start developing the nwn2 Gondor vs Mordor server, but due to annoyance over obsidians support for the toolset and stuff, people stopped building many years ago.

Questions
So questions about the site: The website is run on a virtual host and owned by the guy some of you know as hfodf or ohforf of dastrion. I still have close contact with him as in a speak with him multiple times a week and see him every month. He also told me that one of you guys accidently mailed back to a pm telling about how awesome he thought that the server was back online (apparently that gets forwarded to him). Until now we have supported this community by paying the yearly fee for the host and domain name (distributed among us 2), if people would like to help out with that you are more then welcome, like said, it does not cost much, 30 euro's a year.

I will talk to hfodf about maybe setting up a paypal account or something, if somebody in here has another idea feel free to post here with suggestions.

A backup of this site can also be arranged, however I will only sent that to a GvM1 admin for obvious reasons Smiley

Besides that it seems that I have neglected to update some stuff here and there on this website, forums have been updated and it seems that most security things I implemented many years ago held up pretty good, I just removed over 1000 accounts of spam bots, total count is now up to somewhere in the 45000 Smiley (if I accidently removed a real person, I'm sorry about that), but the wiki hasn't and spambots seem to have infested the whole thing. My apologies for that, I will try to get that fixed/updated soon.

If there are any requests, questions/things or whatever you want to ask, feel free to post it in here, or if you feel uncomfortable typing in public find the pm button and send me a private message.

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2013, 16:15 »

Great my misplaced reply gave some nice reactions and insight Tongue laugh

And thnx Maniack (welcome back btw "old one" Worship) for explaining and answering some questions ... didnt knew almost all you'd wrote, great stuff to read.  Grin

Ive replied (mailed) hfodf about I'm prepared to pay for our forum too.

And Maniack ...
Much Respect and many thanks for having supported this forum for so long!  headbang hello2 icon_salut notworthy

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2013, 16:29 »

BTW thnx too Maniack for making this topic about this GvM website bussiness by moving it from another topic. icon_thumright
« Last Edit: 14 November 2013, 16:32 by GreyDeth » Logged

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2022, 15:43 »

19jan2022:
Maniack has saved us again ... Forum was broken for at least 2 days (probably longer).
Its fixed again.
All hail Maniack! (who also pays for this forum for many years already) notworthy

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: