Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 00:14

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Is this server dying?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is this server dying?  (Read 8160 times)
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« on: 22 March 2015, 23:12 »

----------------------------------------------------------
[GreyDeth - 24 march 2015]
Moved this subject to new topic ... was posted below "Server Down"
Called this topic "Is this server dying?"
----------------------------------------------------------

mmm, I have been rebuilding a new PC for the last few days, not got around to re-installing NWN yet which is why I didn't notice.

I am still not convinced new people are finding these forums (even with the updated URLs in the server shout) because of that annoying broken link on the homepage (which I have asked about getting fixed at least once before).

I really get the impression that people no longer have the patience for a GvM style mod (e.g. one that requires time). All the updates recently posted, the server is still quiet and those requesting the updates have disappeared from what I can tell. And unfortunately I just don't have the time (on my own) to go out there and promote the server to what-ever community sites there might be.

What are your thoughts Grey, as you host it (which I still say a thanks for Smiley
« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 22:13 by GreyDeth » Logged
Chaozrulez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2015, 13:58 »

Most updates work for what I can tell..
Unfortunately my multibox laptop crashed last week and I'm looking for a used one so I can swap the SSD. Being farming for 4 months now so I'm picking up some games again I have started before (Planescape/Morrowind/Witcher 2).
Still need to practice for our weekly DOTA2 sessions..
« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 22:02 by GreyDeth » Logged

Keep'em rollin'
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2015, 23:08 »

Am very very happy with you firecracker!!! ... helping by improving this mod to stay in touch with the recent needs of our players.
Thnx!!!  hello2

You asked my opinion about our server as it is now ...
Well I honestly don't exactly know how to improve popularity ...
But I can tell what I think of it now ...

After years of idolizing this server as one of the best mods I've ever seen (Still think so) ... I still feel I'm totally at a loss whilst playing it.
So after all this time i feel like a total n00b.  Embarrassed

For instance:
It was until after most of the old players went away ... and only a few months before Turrils server went down for a long long period of time ... I discovered THE map made by Chaozrulez (Thnx for that Chaoz!!) ... before that time I only followed other experienced player-groups to places I just couldn't find on my own afterwards. And most of the time I just hadn't a clue why we went there in the first place.

Now I have the map I finally know little a bit more what to expect in some places and how to get there.
BUT ...
lacking a lot of travel tokens I still never have visited lots and lots of places ... just because the distance and almost always the resistance in some areas is just too great ...
It also still leaves me quite clueless about a lot of other things ...
for instance ... where can I find the "Bosses", how high in lvl should you be to defeat them and what kind of quests are there around and where can I start them? What kind of nice gear is there to win/find? And how do I know what/who/where is worth fighting and dying for over and over again? ...  and how can I learn or read this?
Roaming the forum just ain't covers it at all.

Also ... having new means of earning travel tokens ... is just great ... only I still have not a clue how to obtain them ... yeah by doing some quests ... but which quests then? Where to find them?  And which level do you have to be for these quests? ... BTW ... How many quests are there anyway?

Just some examples about cluelessness and frustrations ... new players will probably have these too

I think ... That we need to remove these frustrations and questions as first priority, to keep new players playing at all.

Other thing:
We still have a very happy few who still play quite regularly.
Maybe they can start a topic about when they are probably online and willing to group and for what quest or goal?
This can attract some extra players who still read these forums but almost never play.

Just a couple of my thoughts ...
Please do add more thoughts people!!
Otherwise I truly believe this server will officially be declared dead in months to come.

Just for the record ... am digging into this mod slowly but deeper and deeper every time I dig ... and begin to collect a lot if info I never knew before ... (for instance ... learning about all kind of programmed conversations and journal comments is learning me somewhat more about existing quests ... maybe I should post something about that somewhere?)
1 example ... I never knew there was a cold essence "partquest" ... needed to give to Beorn so he can give you a special ward which in turn you can use for another "follow-up-quest"

« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 23:15 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2015, 05:27 »

I think Neverwinter Nights in general is dying, not just GvM. Ever since the Gamespy server list went down (I think that was years ago now?), it became much more difficult for new players to find their way to a particular server. I've noticed the slow decay of my favorite Roleplay PW that I played for YEARS (alongside GvM).

If there is a way to bring new players into old NWN servers, I'm not entirely sure how to do it, let alone if it is even possible.
tonoplast
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2015, 00:52 »

Hi Guys.

Yeah I guess in general, it seems like all the servers are having the same issue. It maybe a little more so for servers that do not have active DMs / developers, but even with them around, it seems with low popularity, the motivation is just not there, so it's kind of a synergistic thing.

For those who are still playing nwn, and I don't speak for anyone, and this is just my opinion. I feel that many people want something fast-paced, which you can't quite find in GvM. Some of the improvements are added and that is great, and maybe a little bit of addition could help. For example, perma-haste and fast resting. Also for those who buff a lot, an item that gets you buffed with 1 click (similar to sequencer but uses your spell slots including meta-magic (maybe as a part of a quest). I think those 3 might get you going a little faster-paced and move along, but this just means more work, which I dunno is affordable.

Anyways, I hope you guys are doing well Smiley
« Last Edit: 04 April 2015, 12:45 by tonoplast » Logged
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2015, 20:51 »

Hey Tono, Ace - always good to hear from the old faithful Smiley

I think Tono has hit the nail on the head. When I first started at GvM it took me many failed builds and a lot of help from 'vet's to get established. All of this took time and patience and this was the philosophy of the mod - patience will reward you. But now with a very small user-base there are no longer the 'vets' to help the new players, there are no longer the parties to go to the tough places and there is no longer the patience to explore the mod - and lets face it, this is a tough mod until you get the experience/builds - which takes time - paradox Tongue

But yeh as Tono said, as soon as you start introducing some things like perma haste - what happens to all those builds that took Construct just to get the Iron Golum haste? What happens to Clerics who took travel domain (who were always undervalued anyway) etc etc? Fast resting on the other hand is an even-player field addition however Smiley

FYI - one of the things I always thought the mod could do with was a better designed Pocket/Erus - I tidy up of all the info/signs and an easier-to-follow layout. Something I started working on before I started rebuilding my computer. I will probably finish this and will be the next release but I came to realise how much 'stuff' goes on in those two maps from a mod POV so it is not a quick thing to do Tongue

-fc-
« Last Edit: 12 April 2015, 22:04 by -firecracker- » Logged
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2015, 02:43 »

wow I had to log in to post my comments after reading all of yours.  I have been playing GvM for over 12(?) years now under this name and similar ones.  I remember the awesome days when you had to wait to log in because over 30+ players were playing and no slots were left.  Over the years I have an on again off again relationship with GvM, mostly because of life like most of us.  I just happened to be installing NWN today thinking of checking the server out.  I do agree (sorry for not having the post right in front of me) That making the start of the game a bit more straight forward would help.  How to do this, I have no idea as I have never ran/modded/admin/built any NWN server.  I would like to think as a community, even as small as it is we could revive some interest from old players and bring in some new players.  I'm willing to put the effort forth to see what may come of it.  Unfortunately gamers like us are a dying breed, most want that quick reward and end of the game.  A good example is what my wife always says to me when I am playing GvM..... "Are you winning yet?" as a joke.  I always said that I enjoyed playing the game so I didn't have to "win" or hit the end of a game.  Hopefully we can get some new interest in the site/server.  Well back to installing the stuff I need to play.  Hope to see you all on the server soon!
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2015, 09:09 »

So how dose one log onto gvm now?
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2015, 14:53 »

So how dose one log onto gvm now?

Here is a good site that will help get everything setup on a modern PC:

http://www.neverwinternights.info/players.htm

What makes it easy to connect is NWNCX 0.2.7.  Here is a quote from the site: "Note: GameSpy stopped supporting NWN in December 2012. Your "history" and "favorites" tabs will still link to servers you've played on, but the other lists will be empty. The NWN community has a workaround/fix for this (NWNCX 0.2.7 and later fixes this)."
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2015, 20:58 »

Soulster and Endlessorrow ... wow ... these are names I've seen a loooong time ago ... great to see you here again!  Worship

@Soulster:
Loved to read the recognizable "Are you winning yet?"  laughing7
And if you can help in "advertising" our NWN-server into the world ... plze do and/or advice us how to do this.

And Endlessorrow maybe you were looking for this info?
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW: http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm2/forum/index.php?topic=3197.0

Hope to see you again online soon 2 !
 glasses9

« Last Edit: 20 April 2015, 21:14 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Valkirah

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2015, 14:47 »

Good morning!

I am a veteran NWN player from many years ago, got the itch to reinstall and see what LOTR-themed PW still exist.  I remember playing GvM a long time ago but not exclusively.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I plan on playing for a bit, hope to see some folks around!

Cheers,
  Valkirah (of Angmar mwahahahaha!)
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2015, 22:33 »

Great to see some old faces on the forum again. Hi guys - any questions give me a shout Smiley

Been a bit inactive again since last mod update, but starting to slowly get into things again.
Zoltar_
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2015, 00:45 »

where can I see the news, been out for acople of months
MShakeZula

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2015, 19:01 »

I dont know if it would help much, but maybe do some free advertising through social media. Facebook page that can be liked and shared by current players might get the attention of some NWN players, who knows.
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2015, 21:15 »

^^ I +1 the Facebook idea simply because it's something simple, and up-to-date with the world. Social Media is a big one for advertising, why not put it out there. I'd share the heck out of it.
I used to play on multiple log-ins, but i have been playing since Chronos was running it, and even for awhile when Turril had his time aswell. I was bummed to see the server go down for aslong as it did, and i would have returned sooner if i had known it was back. With Gamespy all messed up, and the server list not normal for me it was a pain to find any of the servers i used to play.
I used X-Fire and noticed the module about a week ago.
You can count on my presence within the module to be permanent. So long as it stays up.

Regarding any changes being made, i don't think anything drastic should be done. Such as making leveling easier. This is just a small, personal opinion: Despite the lack of a playerbase we have, i'm a bigger fan of the teamwork aspect of a module rather than the One-Man-Army style of play. Never been one for Hack and Slash games. The games been pretty easy going. I don't find anything really complicated that would be difficult for new players to figure out, and if they're too lazy and impatient to go through with the leveling we have now, then they just shouldn't be playing! I feel the easier the module would be with leveling, the more power-hungry gamers we would attract. And those types of gamers are never fun. Atleast from my experience. O_o

I'm not the most experienced when it comes to the entire map, but i'm not a total noob. I was pretty well equipped back on my older log-ins.. So i'd be able to help with some things for newer players.
Which reminds me, theres no way of getting those characters back is there? Some of the equipment was a once in a lifetime thing for me. Be nice to get some of it back.

(Also, Firecracker.. Aren't you that player who used to have the Dwarven Defender who could take a beating. I think he went by the same name as your log-in.. Or i'm entirely wrong and it was someone else)
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2015, 19:29 »

Hey Smiley

It depends on how far back we are talking. We have a backup of the vault from Turril's box so can in theory restore any toons/accounts from that. If we are talking pre-wipe then no as the vault was wiped when the gear set/NPCs were all toned down.

Haha, yes that rings a bell - a PM/DD DR tank with the old gear set - was rather useless for anything else - think it was called -firehouse- if I remember right Tongue
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2015, 02:19 »

-Firehouse- ... That is totally what it was. I remember you. When you were playing, i played a monk called AncientxDragon, and several other characters. Had a real bad habit of making more builds to test out.

As for getting back old toons, my main login was 'Dturnbull' i used while Turril was in charge of the module, so it could be possible? Currently, i'm making Test Builds on that account, as it was wiped clean of all my older toons. If theres anyway of getting them back, that'd be cool. All i really want is the gear.. I'm basically remaking all the toons i had on this account now. Either way, it doesn't matter if i can or not. I only ask because like i said, some of it was once in a lifetime gear that will take me awhile to get back.
Good to see you again, Fire!
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2015, 08:36 »

Ah yes I remember that login, good to see you around! - I'll check the backup when I get back tonight (about to go to work now) Smiley
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2015, 21:19 »

OK found your account with about 13 toons in it including a mule. Let me know if you want me to restore them to a current login.
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2015, 03:23 »

13.. Geeze, i made too many toons. That's awesome though.
 If you could put them back on the original login that would work out alittle better. I'd be using multiples of the same name if i put them on my current login.
So, Dturnbull if you can. All i got over there is test builds.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2015, 11:21 »

Done Smiley
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2015, 15:53 »

Success. I cannot thank you enough, Fire. 'Preciate the assistance.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: