Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 15:19

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Need some help
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 3972 times)
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« on: 28 December 2016, 02:13 »

Hey fellow nerds, it`s been years since i have played here. I now have a Mac (had windows before) My new mac does not have a disc drive, can i download NWN somewhere online and use my old CD codes to play? Or do i have to rebuy? Also does mac work for this site / world /game. I`m new to Mac and not to computer savvy. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I`m hoping I can get back in here and run around. I had many a good times here. Cheers, El Chupacabra
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2016, 12:43 »

Hi there

You should be able to use your old CD keys rather than have to buy new ones, but in terms of getting the game/installer without paying - I am not too sure on that - you can probably download it from somewhere I imagine. You can get the game from GoG.com (at a price) which comes with some generic CD keys - do not use these - use your old original CD keys.

In terms of Mac - I don't think the game runs on new Macs due to a significant change in the hardware a few years ago. I have a Mac but use a virtual machine with Windows installed on it to run the game.

-fc-
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2016, 12:47 »

I did a quick google and found this regarding running NWN on Mac, not sure if it still works:
https://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/guide_how_to_run_neverwinter_nights_diamond_1_69_from_gog_on_mac_os_x
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2016, 18:44 »

Cool thanks, This post is from 2006-2007 and I just got my my Mac book pro. do you think this newer operating system will be ok? Or should I do what ever you did to get it to work? I have already bought this game 2-3x over the years. So I don`t want to keep throwing $ at it, but would love to get back here and play.

As for my old guys will they still be there (plus my mules) or will I be starting from scratch?

Thanks for all the help, i`m going to get this figured out come hell or high water. Sounds like Park, and Pink need someone to kill in pvp. So i`ll help them out with that.  Smiley
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2016, 18:58 »

I went to gog.com it`s $10 for NWN diamond, and $17 for NWN 2. Is NWN 2 any good? Just curious, I never tried that one. I`d still prefer to play NWN here with the die hards. Just curious if it was worth the extra $7 for NWN 2. I don`t mind spending the $10 to get this going, I just want to make sure i`ll be able to get it to work before I go and buy it again. What way would you go about it Firecracker? Thanks again.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2016, 11:46 »

Hi

It might be worth giving it a go just to see if it works (nothing to lose then). And if that fails then I can at least say the Virtual Machine route works 100%. My specific setup is running Parallels with a Windows 7 instance.

Regarding your toons - we do have a vault backup from Turril's server which we can transfer toons from when you have your accounts setup on the current server. This backup was from February 2014 so if you were playing after the vault wipe of ~2009/2010 (if I remember the year right) then anything since that wipe was backed up. Anything before the wipe was permanently lost due to all the gear sets and NPCs all changing. To restore any toons I just need the account name(s) in full.

NWN2 - generally most people hated the game I believe. The user interface changed which a lot of people didn't like and so did a few of the other game dynamics such as levelling/classes. It is probably not worth it to be honest as it never really took off like NWN1 did. I am kind of hoping for a NWN 3 Tongue

I'd probably be tempted just to stick to getting NWN1 from GoG as it's not a lot of money and using your old CD keys (although you can request new unique ones I believe - just don't use the generic ones).

-fc-
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2016, 11:49 »

The other thing you could try is if you have your original NWN discs - borrowing an external CD/DVD drive if you know anyone with one and try and install it from your original CDs.
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2016, 21:01 »

Thanks again man, I appreciate the help. Im sure once i get it installed i will have update questions. I always had a hell of a time getting it going on windows. I could never get the folders and files right.

I`m gona see if some of my computer nerd friends have a drive, if not i`ll just pay the $10 and download it. I can`t wait to get on hopefully in the next few days (with any luck)

I did play post wipe, and had quite a bit of loot. TO get that all back would be super cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I will keep you updated. Thanks again, & happy holidays. Doug (El -Chupacabra)
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2016, 03:20 »

In the link you provided, the bioware link inside that won`t open Sad

http://paulthetall.com/neverwinter-nights-mac/

I found this, but this program is $40 and claims it will work. not sure what to do. I always have such a hard time getting this game going. 
Wake of death
admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2016, 03:46 »

Just remember when you put in the cep updates to put them in in order and 1 at a time.

Went through this with Steele. He had to put in the CEP in order.

Thanks
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2016, 04:06 »

I used to run with Steele all the time. Hope he`s still around. Going to work on this tomorrow. Thanks for all the help
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2016, 23:08 »

Bought the game on Gog.com downloading now. that link was bad but i think i found doh123 wineskin download, going to try that after own is done downloading. man i hope this works, i been waiting to play this for years now.

Also what folders do the CEPs go in? It`s been a while, was there a CEP folder? where should i get the updates from? Here (GvsM)?
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2016, 00:29 »

No luck with the wineskin, tried a bunch of stuff. watched a tutorial as i did it. did the same thing they did, and i get a error message as its almost done downloading and installing the game. I get to click launch but it don`t work. It starts to load then stops after 5 seconds.

Soooooo... what should plan B be?

Every time i try to play this game it never seems to work. Always so complicated... grrrrrrr....
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2016, 00:45 »

So i try to email Gog tech support, and that won`t work either. If anyone knows how to get this going on Mac i could really use some help. This is super frustrating.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2016, 12:09 »

Hey - just Googling this it seems it is very hit and miss, running NWN1 on OS X.

I am really not an expert on Wine but people seem to say different versions work/don't work.

There is also other posts regarding this using other software or other ports of Wine such as this:
http://paulthetall.com/neverwinter-nights-mac/

It might just be a case of seeing if one works.

If not then probably the Virtual Machine or Bootcamp route would be plan B.

-fc-
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2016, 18:03 »

Firecracker, I am not familiar with virtual machine or bootcamp. I will try what you have posted here and get back to you. I tried a few versions of the wineskin, with no luck. I`m gone keep at it.

Please keep checking up on me. I really want to play bad. Had so many good times here. I think my buddy Destrug is working on getting his installed again too.
Hamon49
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2017, 04:42 »

As usual, can`t get this going. Don`t know what to do. Losing patience & hope
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2017, 22:09 »

This is new turf for us too ... so only advise I can give ... read a lot on internet about this subject ... Google is youre best (and perhaps youre only) friend in this area.

Hope you get it going somehow

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: