Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 11:03

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Bank Warning
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bank Warning  (Read 3562 times)
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« on: 17 January 2017, 14:34 »

Let me first start out by saying that i have always been aware of how the Banks rules and regulations work. So there was no sense of impatience or rage at any point during this. I'm not sure what happened. But the story goes as followed:

I was using the bank to transfer some loot over to another character (Because i do not trust the server when it comes to dropping things) and i had apparently put too much in the chest, i believe i was 9 things over. So, i went back into the bank after a brief wait and started removing some things. And just to see where the number count stood, i closed the bank again.. this is where things got weird, as it prompted me with two warnings that i was still over the limit this time with only 2 things. But the chest essentially re-opened itself after i had closed it and then closed once more. I assumed it glitched or something so once again i waited! When i attempted to open the chest again, i was warned:

" This is a warning, do not interfer with players using bank chests "

My character was then forced to step away from the chest. I stood there for a minute before trying to go back into the chest (I knew i was still over the limit, and didn't want to lose two items)
But my Bank chest was empty, aside from having a Gondors Wrath Bastard Sword, everything else was removed.. I'm not sure what happened, whether it was a glitch, a bug or a mistake on my part, i lost all my stuff.
Now obviously i'm not going to expect to get all my things back, as much as i want them back.. There were far too many rings and weapons or equipment that i'm not even sure where to find, nor can i even remember the names to.. But i just thought i'd post this as a light warning to others, aswell as a quick little vent, as my morning was slightly ruined.
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 14:39 »

This is the best i can do as far as proof goes.. Just the two warnings at the same time, and then the third one below it.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 19:53 »

The bank has always been renown for being a tad buggy. You can probably do a search for others who have posted very similar issues going back the years.

I've never actually looked at it but assume it was a script lifted off the old NWN vault rather than anything created from scratch by the old dev's, but unfortunately is does glitch and even with improvements to it over the years...it still glitches.

This is why a lot of players no longer use it - they store items on 'mules' (mentioned in 13.2.8 of the FAQs section):
http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm2/forum/index.php?topic=3197.msg14639#msg14639

I did notice back in the day that things like accidently double clicking the chest would cause loss of stored items as well as well as lag. I imagine something like double clicking causes a scrript to get executed twice before it has completed the first time causing some bug.

I also think the size of the database probably doesn't help - the bigger it gets the slower it takes to find stuff in it causing chest lag - I just had a look and its over 400MB Sad

Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2017, 21:14 »

Well, that's disappointing.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2017, 23:15 »

But ...

We can always can put some old backup-toons back ... and remove the "damaged/stripped ones"

At least i think so ... cause I find it rather sad to see an "golden oldie enthusiastic" player having such bad luck.

So if -fire- agrees with me ... you can give me the names of the "stripped" toons and I can replace these in youre vault.

Is that an option for you?
-fire- do you agree?

Or was all youre stuff in the bank already and were there no toons involved?
Cause i think its almost an impossible mission to trace the bank-database for all you're lost gear in that case.
I do have an "old backup" database from February the 15th ... but putting that one back may cause much disappointment for others !?
Maybe putting only the bank.dbf back can help here?
-fire- ?

« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 23:54 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2017, 02:04 »

If you mean recovering an older character or account simply to obtain lost items.. My old account (And current Test Account) Dturnbull was the one that had all that stuff. Character by the name of 'Maven' .. He'll pretty much have everything i lost? Granted there will be a few things missing that i had just recently put in there. But i was just bummed i lost all the items from older characters from forever ago. If that's what you mean by backup-toons?
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2017, 20:45 »

maven ... Dturnbull .. found it ... dated 10-06-2015.
So if youre OK with it ... I can take this one from my old backup from 15 February 2017 and replace the "broken/stripped" Maven-toon you have now in Dturnbull (dated 16-01-2017) with the "fully equiped" backup-one from 10-06-2017 ....

At least you have some stuff back then
Do you agree?
+
If -fire- agrees ... I can try to put an older database from February the 15th back ... (bank.dbf I hope or else storage.dbf?? ......  -fire- maybe you know which one???)
So the bank has then hopefully all its stuff back again ... but lost the last 3 days ... if someone did use the bank these last days that is.

Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2017, 21:21 »

The login 'Dturnbull' was recovered by Firecracker sometime last year i believe. If you recovered the character Maven from a 2017 file he wouldn't have anything on him. The last thing i did with that character this year was donate what was left of his XP to the bank. I only use Dturnbull for test characters now.
Everything that was on that login (Mostly Maven) was in the bank.
Unless i'm misunderstanding here? O_o
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2017, 21:40 »

maven ... Dturnbull .. found it ... dated 10-06-2015.
So if youre OK with it ... I can take this one from my old backup from 15 February 2017 and replace the "broken/stripped" Maven-toon you have now in Dturnbull (dated 16-01-2017) with the "fully equiped" backup-one from 10-06-2017 ....

After re-reading your message, i noticed the 2015 date and the 2017 are identical besides the year.. I assume you instinctively put 2017 a second time? If that's the case, Maven from 2015 would definitely have everything i lost.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2017, 23:21 »

Ah yes I meant 2015 ofcourse  Cheesy

Then I will do this tomorrow if thats ok with you ... I really need some sleep asap ...

Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2017, 23:48 »

Yeah. Absolutely. Take your time, man. I appreciate it.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2017, 20:35 »

Done!

Hope you'll be more careful in future with the bank ... or even better ... try to avoid it, make and use mules instead  ...  Grin

Have fun m8!

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2017, 21:15 »

Glad you got it sorted Smiley

Yeh a restore the bank itself would pretty much effect every other player who uses it, so probably not feasible.

-fc-
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2017, 21:38 »

Pretty much everything i had in the bank was on this character, so this worked out perfectly. I appreciate the kindness more than you know. I can enjoy some aspect of this game again. lol
 You can imagine that bank issue was very demotivating.. equipment was always my weakpoint on this game, so this is quite the relief.
Thanks again!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: