Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 21:12

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Server dead?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Server dead?  (Read 6507 times)
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« on: 27 September 2017, 23:46 »

Hey guys.

I used to play on GvM back in 2009/2010, and recently decided to dust off my copy of NWN again (read: buy the Diamond edition off of GOG, cause the physical discs disappeared into the ether).

Looking through the list of servers with the NWN Server Browser, I've seen that the most players online for the last 2 days was 1, and usually it was 0. Is the server dead?

It's not paranoia if someone's out to get you!
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2017, 23:28 »

Hey Khaine,

Welcome back!
Great to see on golden oldie player return to this server  hello2
Well .... dead ... kinda yes ... but it comes and goes ... I for instance just host the server, but almost never play anymore.
Mostly because I'm busy with real life and playing other games than GvM ... I still have plans to return to this server as a regular player though.
But a couple of months before ... server was fairly visited and busy, think at one day there were at least 10 people online (I know, I know, in the early days this was peanuts, but nowadays its great)  ... so I think there are still quite a lot of players who really want to play but for some reasons do that at irregular times.

Bottom-line ... no server is not really dead ... not yet anywayz  Grin

Hope to see you play again!
 :pompom:

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2017, 07:27 »

@Khaine: i did the same about 2 months ago. Started playing after years and years. I had a friend of mine also join again so we mostly play with the 2 of us. I've teamed with other players only 2 times. Other than that it was just me on the server.

However, it was still nice to explore gvm again. Some stuff changed, some stuff i just forgot. Bottom line: i'm enjoying myself.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2017, 17:27 »

Hi Khaine

I remember you well - welcome back!

Regarding the server, yes it's pretty quiet these days. I was in the middle of trying to push a fairly large update out late this summer to give some of those die-hard vets who still play something new to explore, but real life in the last 6 weeks has really changed so I am a bit behind in that regard - I do hope to complete it though before too long.

Realistically it may be the last large update I will push through just because of time and the ever quieter nature of the server.

If 2010 was that last time you played there are probably quite a lot of other changes that will be new and I do have a backup of the server vault when we moved from Turril's hosting to Grey's if you can remember your old account names.

BTW - if you have a GoC version - just make sure you request multiplayer CD keys - they tend to hand that game out with some generic CD keys (which then means a load of players are using the same key at once which can screw things up) - but I read that you can just request new unique multiplayer keys if you don't have yours from your original CDs.

-fc-

-fc-
Khaine
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2017, 19:48 »

I'll probably pop on every now and then to check out the new content.

@-firecracker-  Yeah, 2010 was the last time I played NWN. I'm pretty sure the account name I had was Daccidflick. I decided to make a new account, in part because I couldn't remember my old password, and partially because looking back, it was a pretty juvenile name to use, heh.

It's not paranoia if someone's out to get you!
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2017, 06:22 »

Just a tip: i wouldn't opt for account restore. I am still happy with my choice not to do it. It makes you appreciate nice drop more. And you need to put in some work to be able to farm higher lvl areas again.

Example: nice to be high enough lvl for simple armor+5 or ring of deflection+5... But where to loot them without dying every 10mins??? Good fun solving those puzzles!
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 17:32 »

I've found your account in the vault backup - let me know if you want it restored or if you plan to start from scratch Smiley

Yes I bet starting from scratch is a nice way to get back into the mod, especially if you've been away for so many years.
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2017, 16:53 »

I'm playing as well. It's quite cool! Havent been here since 2009?

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2017, 11:45 »

Wow hfodf !!  Worship

Great to see you back 2 !!
 ... and? do you think "youre GvM child" is evolved a bit in a positive way since you last real "hunting fun"?

Really hope you will enjoy playing GvM again ....

(and maybe if you R getting "the programming itch" again one day, you can help me out why the whole server keeps crashing when I try to log in as a DM  Tongue )

Optimist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2017, 02:25 »

Glory be to Gondor !!!!!!!
steelewarrior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2017, 02:26 »

Gondor must be destroyed...  I will burn it to the ground !

Steele
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2017, 21:19 »

Here here Smiley.
It's cool playing ... got 3 mordor characters(hips, rakasha, harper team singer) and 1 gondor (dr dd, level 10) now.

Zoltar_
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2018, 01:49 »

i will comeback to play, but is really hard to get items.
also there is no way to kill lot of stuff alone. like smaug...
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2018, 06:27 »

I think I started playing on this server back in 2004?  The last 4 or 5 years I just pop on here and there.  It is a lot slower than it used to be, but it is an awesome feeling to run around the old server and playing with some of the OG players.  I'm trying to get back on myself, but my game keeps crashing during area transition.  I have tired a few things, nothing working yet.... thinking of reinstalling and then giving it a run.  BTW Welcome Back!
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2018, 08:59 »

Yesterday, for me in the first time since 2008 we had two parties. A Mordor party of 3 and a Gondor party of 5. That was impressive!

One dude even got pvp killed for logging into some area were some gondors were playing.

edit: @above: try reinstalling CEP, try running the game in windowed (not fullscreen) mode. (Google.)

bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2018, 10:11 »

like smaug...

Yeah... that's only like, one of the hardest bosses in the game I think ;-)

Single-player type bosses would include:
- winning osgiliath back from the other party by killing the monk/summoner
- Lurz in Isenguard warg pens (actually the entirety of Isenguard would be a nice place to play)
- Guys in the tombs at Edoras
- Spirit lair/Shelob's lair quests
- quite some guys in moria
- (well geared) the bosses in the Fallen area

But sure, you're right, you cannot just kill Saruman/Elrond/Aragorn/etc by yourself. Though I personally would hate it if that got changed: I like the team playing part. Easy for me to say because four of my friends are playing as well, but finding just one more partner to team up with already greatly increases the areas you can farm/bosses you can kill.

Let us just team up together some day ;-)
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2018, 21:56 »

Well window mode seemed to fix it, kinda sucks really would prefer full screen, but window mode is better than no mode. Now off to look some stuff up for a build and at some point play.
Dragoneye77

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2018, 11:10 »

I find myself dropping in and out playingn for the past weeks now.  Good  to see more new players and old players return. Even had a couple minas morgul runs again.  Soms more succesfull then otters 😃 but most important thanks firecracker and greydeath to keep the server Alive in the slow days👍
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2018, 19:51 »

W00hoo ... even Dragoneye is back! .... its becoming more and more appealing to play myself again.
Thnx for thnx btw  Grin

radagast
Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2018, 19:58 »

But sure, you're right, you cannot just kill Saruman/Elrond/Aragorn/etc by yourself.

I can kill Saruman by myself  wink

bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2018, 07:42 »

What's in a name... 😉
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 February 2018, 11:18 »

Server is offline.

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2018, 22:31 »

Should be coming back online again now.
azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2018, 23:03 »

I feel the need to reply here as I see so many names I used to recognize. Are any of you STILL playing? Khaine, firecracker, radagast, steelwarrior, and many more. If so I might go buy NWN from some source just to experience the good old days of GvM again. It's been SO long. I miss it!

Account Name: .denikrut
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 December 2018, 19:54 »

Hey azurerogue! Long time no see. I think a few people float around, maybe getting the mod on the new Enhanced Edition would be beneficial in terms of getting a larger player base again.

Me personally, while I took ownership of the mod in terms of getting it back online after it went offline for many months (with Grey's help), and have added new areas/items/quests and fixed bugs etc, the last year or so I have been pretty inactive due to other commitments and projects.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: