Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 17:56

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  NWN Enhanced Edition
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: NWN Enhanced Edition  (Read 34595 times)
Sky
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« on: 21 November 2017, 12:07 »

Hey there!

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.pcinvasion.com/beamdog-announces-neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2017, 10:47 »

First i've seen it - backwards compatibility is good.

Read that they are looking to incorporate CEP into it too which would be cool.
soulstler
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2017, 14:29 »

Just seen this myself yesterday, which is on of the reasons I stopped by today. May have to install my Diamond edition and stop by the server. its been at least a couple of years.
hfodf
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Scripter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2017, 19:18 »

do join

Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
The name ingame: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip003.html
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2018, 02:02 »

df mentioned NWN: EE to me the other day and I've just burned about 8 hours on the Beamdog forums to get a feel for what it's about. I'm excited to say the very least.

I had stopped GvM a while back when I got really involved making my own module - which was far too ambitious for one person, though it has a good 10-15 hours of playable material. Anyway, when they pulled the GameSpy support, my NWN hopes faded and I stopped that, too.

This announcement and the things they are planning has me altogether excited again. What's more, I introduced my son and his cousin the other day to it and they love it. I am still interested in building and the ideas about what to do are simmering in my head.

I'd like to work on something, whether it be getting GvM into NWN: EE or find some interested persons and do something original with them. Either way, I want to collaborate on something. Doing it solo is fun, but I'd like to do something that sees the light of day.
TM5000
Poster

Merry Critmas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2018, 16:14 »

I just received an email from Beamdog about NWN:EE being released.

The things that really caught my eye were backward compatibility and improved multiplayer which included mention of a friend list. This reminds me of the old Gamespy multiplayer support the game had years ago.

As I recall, players really dropped off after Gamespy gave us the finger.

Has anyone here actually played this yet? I am travelling but when I hit the hotel tonight and get some WiFi, I will download this and check it out!

Misty morning, clouds in the sky.
Without warning, the wizard walks by.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2018, 12:09 »

Very cool, will also check this out!

Does the backward compatibility mean that it could work for the server? And make the graphics look better?
Sky
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2018, 14:25 »

So I've tested it a bit.

Graphics look a little nicer, which is cool.

When you join to multiplayer you get to see the list of servers available, just like before gamespy shut down. Also a +1 from me. Perhaps this will bring additional players to the mod? Smiley
Arn2148
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2018, 11:27 »

So does this mean that GvM community will be using the Enhanced Edition or has it already made the leap?

+1 from me aswell
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2018, 11:38 »

Hmm the way I read it was that it is fully compatible with existing nwn, meaning that server will remain unchanged and it's only clients that can opt for enhanced edition? But maybe I'm just whistling dixie..

Reason I would expect it to work like this is that nwn already is not too picky when it comes to client configuration (thinking of stuff you can put in your override dir at will). I would think that nwn enhanced edition behaves like a really nicely configured client, with new game discovery feature (replacing good old gamespy) and beefed graphics, but otherwise fully compatible.

Does somebody know more?
domingo CC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2018, 14:25 »

All you have to do is just setup a Gondor vs Mordor mod with beamdog, you can leave everything the same CEP 2.0. I dunno what bugs it would cause. NWN EE is on sale right now for 6.79, cheap as crap. all you have to do is buy EE and merge it over. Why havnt its been done yet?? why keep the old pixilated ugly version where its dead, I log on almost every week to see if anyone is on, its either offline, or dead. I want to play again, and I cant. merge it over so it can be alive again. RIP.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2018, 14:31 by domingo CC » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2018, 13:26 »

Thnx for pointing out the sale ... I've just bought the enhanced version on Steam ... will try all kinds of things to get the enhanced feeling eventually to our mod Cheesy
(Need to get the stuff on linux so change for success is pretty low I guess)
But maybe its not that hard at all ... lets hope so

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2018, 20:33 »

Well, I bought the game for extreme low price ... that was nice  Cheesy
Loved the Darkness over Daggerford Campaign
@domingo CC thnx

But ... tried to "upgrade" the module today (in a test environment of-course)
tried different approaches ... unfortunately there seems no way to add all the needed hak files and tlk files. Module will not load.
So I think this is a no go.

Besides even if it will work ... this will force everyone to buy this new enhanced version .... and in my opinion this is also a no go.

My own experience with this new enhanced version:
pro: mega fast loading time!!
cons:
1. don't see the real enhancements ... some slightly smoother graphics, yes  ... but for me its almost a minimal enhanced and greatly the same as the old version.
2. multiplayer: agree with Sky here ... its nice to see other servers ... but .... see above ... will not work I'm afraid.

Unless BeamDog will provide us with more information how to successfully add .tlk and hak files there will be no porting to the Enhanced version at all  offtheair

« Last Edit: 04 December 2018, 23:40 by GreyDeth » Logged

Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2018, 00:21 »

This.. this was a heartbreaking post to come across after a long awaited hope for the return of GvM.
I too can agree, there hasn't been much improvement as far as the " Enhancement " goes, but it's put the game back on the map, if anything. Servers i used to play on the original are just littered with randoms. GvM would flourish over on EE. It's the popularity and order over any visual improvements, if you ask me. Like, the server list is back.. that is beyond nostalgic for me, and all i could ask for. But not seeing GvM in that list will suck.

The game really isn't that expensive, and if anyone is still playing the original, it's probably because their servers haven't made the jump yet. There was over 200 people in one server when i first started playing EE. It's really not that expensive, and if nobody can afford the game, give me your Steam.. I will GIFT it to you for Christmas, dammit. I am that determined to get GvM over here. It's one of the top three servers i wanted to see make the move over to EE, so far i have one. The other is in the works, and GvM was my top module. A lot of history in this place.

At the very least, i hope this " No Go " is merely a stalling until it's figured out.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2018, 20:57 »

Hey Satorial,

True ... I think porting to the enhanced version will give this mega-great mod a new well deserved boost of attention.
Also true ... it isn't that expensive at all ... and Steam is ... well for almost everybody I guess ... the "standard game engine" nowadays.
So yeah I guess youre right ... maybe our mod needs "the new gaming way of Steam" and everybody just must/needs to accept to buy this new enhanced client

Tell you what ...  if BeamDog can give more information on how to port old modules with all the needed hak packs and tlk files ...  and also give all the needed info for linux dedicated servers ...
I surely will give it another try.

Untill then .... welll ... embrace the old way I guess ...   lotr

Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2018, 21:05 »

I'd have to reinstall the original NWN just to play GvM. I'd be outta luck if we didn't get it over to EE. If worse comes to worse, i'll go as far as asking for a copy of the module just to figure it out myself with some people i know. But, aslong as theres some sort of hope for it, i'm content.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 December 2018, 23:33 »

Hold you're horses, but dont keep you're hopes up ....  drunken_smilie!!
Read a lot in some still active neverwinter nights communities such as ... https://neverwintervault.org and others ... and discovered a lot.
Ive managed to load the old module into the enhanced toolset !!!!  headbang
Hak, tlk and a lot of other files seemed to go into you're own MyDocuments\neverwinter nights folder ... weird place for a steam game ... but hey ...

Also hope to get the colored icons into the mod
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/colorized-spell-icons-generation-1
Lets hope it works without people needs to also adjust stuff.
So maybe just maybe ... as you said Saorial ... there's hope ...
For now ... I'm off tweaking poking testing and even more testing ....  homework
keep you all posted ...
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 23:58 by GreyDeth » Logged

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2018, 21:22 »

... progress so far ...
OMG ... this is more troublesome than I thought ...
But ... There are people who ported old dedicated servers into an enhanced version into Steam ... so there is hope.
Still no real luck with the mod itself .... lots and lots of errors and missing stuff during build fase.
Have asked -fire- for help in this ...
However ignoring all these errors and testing ... gives some response and is playable for local enhanced nwn client users ... !!!
W000t !!  headbang
So there is even more hope Cheesy
Multiplayer users however is not working at all ... have to read more I guess.

Linux shall become another obstacle ... version I have and need (its also my firewall) cannot run the enhanced version I've read ... need an entirely other linux version for this ...
But first things first ...
Getting the enhanced mod and multiplayer options working into a testmode on windows first ...

- to be continued -

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2018, 22:12 »

Hmmm I've managed to run a testserver ... but .... cannot login or press play
Probably because you never have to login in a steam-program like the enhanced nwn client ... you cannot get into youre own servervault in-game playername.
Dunno how to approach this actually ... cannot find similar problems online ... its frustrating to say the least.
Still not giving up. ... but help appreciated ...
- to be continued again -

Sky
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2018, 19:22 »

BIG thumbs up on the work GreyDeth! This seems very exciting!  Grin I too believe GvsM will have the attention it deserves on NWNEE.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2018, 19:47 »

Hi guys

I have yet to buy NWN EE so can't offer any advice today but bare with me maybe a week. I see that it is available on Mac which means I can at least try to get the mod up and running, as my Windows environment where I used to play/dev, the standard version is currently out of action.

As I said bare with me a week or maybe just to the weekend as I will be on leave after Friday so should have some time. NWN has not been at the top of priority list for the last few months due to personal reasons but would be nice to get the mod up and running on EE.

-fc-
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 December 2018, 19:39 »

OK in doing some reading and preparation of buying EE, while the NWN game is available for Mac/Linux, the Toolset isn't which means unless I get a Windows PC running, I'm stuck   Angry
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 December 2018, 21:05 »

Hey -fire-  Kiss
Hope you will get youre hands on a windows machine in the near future ... really can use youre help here   Embarrassed
Will give this "quest-4porting2NWNEE-search" another go this weekend.
keep you all posted.

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2018, 08:39 »

All is not lost Smiley I'll probably have to get Parallels and install a virtual machine machine fingers crossed there are no issues.

I'll keep you updated.

-fc-
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2018, 18:24 »

This entire thread has increasingly brought so much hope to my 2019. You have no idea. I wish i could help, but i don't exactly know what i could do other than populate the server with my presence until i'm sick and tired of NWN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Jump to: