Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 10:41

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  NWN Enhanced Edition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: NWN Enhanced Edition  (Read 34588 times)
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2018, 23:01 »

Progress and discoveries so far.

New enhanced server looks like its running in multiplayer mode (yeah!!)
 ... but ....
servervault gets filled with youre new enhanced client public CD key (scrambled part from cd-key ... just like we use in some of our server-scripts)
So the names we are used to ... such as GreyDeth (or GreyzX6t) will not work anymore
Furthermore our old characters cant be found by the new enhanced client .... new toons can be made however.
Maybe we can convert old toons somehow ...
But we have also this setback  ...
I think our old "security-cd-check-script" is causing some trouble ... cause even when Ive made a new character ... when I press play, it takes about 10 seconds and then I get a message "you've been booted" and I'm in menu again.
(some error in the logs ... looks like this one ... GOG: Authentication failed: 0 ...)
I will try to rebuild the enhanced mod somehow without the cd check ... -fire- ?? can you give me some hints with this?
First I want to see it work in a multiplayer environment ... then I will try to find solutions for our servervault-characters.

However small ... still making some slight progress I guess ...
but help and hints still appreciated
- stay tuned -

« Last Edit: 15 December 2018, 23:05 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Satorial
Poster

Valar Morghulis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2018, 03:02 »

In regards to recovering old toons -
I for one, am completely okay with having to start over entirely. I was hoping, and planning on doing that anyway. Nothing says " Throwback " like a fresh start on an oldschool module.
This way i can get in on all the raids that happen in the beginning and get myself some top gear (Assuming i get on at the right time that is) One of the major downsides to playing back in the day was never having the proper gear to go on said raids with players.
I still remember the first time i got Aragorns Armor, i nearly had a heart attack. It was Christmas every time i logged on.. Baragors Axe is still on my bucket list. Never did get to wield that bad boy.

I get more and more excited thinking about this module making the jump over everytime i come back to this forum. It's killin' me. >.<
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2018, 10:06 »

Hey

I've got myself a Windows 7 VM running and just bought the game, so just about to head off and install it all.

Grey - I see your comment regarding the CD key script, we should be able to disable this just for testing/getting setup but it is an additional level of protection on the mod to stop people from getting into the DM client.

Grey, other than building the mod, have you made any changes to the mod itself so far? If so PM me, but will post back soon Smiley

-fc-
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2018, 11:53 »

OK I've got the game installed and the mod compiled against the Extended Edition Toolset.

I've setup a local server with the mod running and can login as a 'player'. I've not had to make any changes to the mod itself and I'm not being booted or anything by the CD check script.

I've yet to actually see how to login as a DM as there doesn't seem to be a DM client that I can see (I'll need to look this up).

Looks promising.

-fc-
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 December 2018, 12:01 »

OK my test server is actually listed in the ingame Internet server listing:

"Gondor vs Mordor Test"

I'll keep it open if anyone is around to test an external connection.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 December 2018, 12:47 »

hey -fire- ... great news man ... glad you join the search towards NWN-EE
Did not change mod at all (wouldnt dare actually ;-) just rebuild it with new EE-toolset
local players works I saw that too ... but no succes with existing toons yet.

DM should work with -dmc option in shortcut ... at least I read that somewhere.
Steam Community has lots of NWN-EE sections ... but couldnt find any reference about porting old NWN multiplayer-mods to new NWN-EE.

Will try a lot today ... hope you or me can succeed here.

@Satorial: LOL  Grin
I'm getting more excited too

- to be continued  -
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 14:26 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 December 2018, 12:49 »

Hey Grey, I've got DM access (found the same info as you did). Had to update the public key in the script that does the check and DM access all works fine.

I am running the test mod in server vault mode rather than local and appears to also be fine. I'll try and port a toon over next from the old mod.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 December 2018, 12:54 »

Woot !!
Im happay and sad at the same time ....
Happy you find multiplayer working ... but sad I couldnt get this to work !?

Still will search further
maybe https://forums.beamdog.com will help us with information too.

Keep up the great work man! Cheesy
I'll try to do some more exploration too ... but think you are closer to a solution here.

Also fun to notice we both are busy with this at the same time (countries separated but one in effort and time  Grin)

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 December 2018, 13:02 »

Oops I just remember I actiually did change something ... I included in hak a colored-spell.hak ... I really love this one so i tried this in build ... did not got any errors beside lots of others 'bout this one though.
Hmmm maybe rebuilding this way was not a smart move  Sad

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 December 2018, 13:03 »

OK I have been able to port one of my toons over from the standard game's vault.

So I think that is everything. Now we just need to get it working on your box Grey. Is this a linux server?
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 December 2018, 13:33 »

Sjeeez you are fast .... wow Respect m8 !

Was just reading on Beamdogforum issues about old servervaults
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67139/my-server-vault-no-access

And now you have an actual working windows GvM mod ?? amazing!

Linux ...yeah (really old version of Linux actually ... so if it needs to have add-ons there or newest linux builds ...  Sad
In that case I think I need to port everything on a windows machine and change my firewallrules a bit.
But that can give some other unfortunate side-effects ... such as not been able to remotely change mods or backup remotely
hmmmm ... ok .... I think step by step here is best ....

for testing purposes on Linux I think I do a full backup now .... and put the working server on hold during the tests.

Do you have a reference for me where I can see what is needed for linux in case of running a NWNEE mod?

BTW how did you port an old toon successfully !??
What is needed for that?

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 December 2018, 13:46 »

Well The server vault port is going to be very manual as NWN EE and traditional NWN server vaults look to work completely differently.

On the face of it it looks like you can't have multiple accounts without multiple CD keys, as the new server vault works off the public CD key rather than login name.

So on standard NWN, each login would have it's own folder under the main servervault folder. On EE instead it creates folders using the public CD key. Which means if I wanted to port all of my toons over from my 4 or 5 accounts (-firecracker- , inn.ervation, -firecracker-mule- etc etc), they are all going to have to be added to that same public CD key account folder in the EE server vault folder.

All I did was FTP down one of the bic files from my -firecracker- account from the standard server and dump it into my public CD key folder.

This means for vault ports, a DM is going to need to be logged in to know what the players public key is to then know which folder to move the toons over too.

I'll have a look for any Linux resources - I was setting up on Windows heh.

I've shut my test server down for now. A player logged in which was a nice test that the mod appeared to be working fine when online to the public.

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 December 2018, 14:03 »

Grey, to get the server in servervault mode (rather than local vault) while we don't seem to specify it in the existing servers startup script have you tried adding the additional flag:
-servervault=1

« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 14:06 by -firecracker- » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 December 2018, 14:08 »

heheh great news ... even others can login even unwanted ... but weird thing ... i did just that.
copied the old .bic file into my new servervault-partlyCDkey-map ... but that was just it ... I never ever saw my toon in my NWNEE client appear !?? only the newly created one ... and even this one did crash my session when I hit play ... <snif>

and yeah -servervault=1 i did that too already ... thnx though

But luckily for us it seems that you did have successes (and so fast! still in awe here)

I will try to get some info for linux-servers running NWN-EE but until now I'd only read people using linux "docker" ... unfortunately I cannot use that because of my old-linux situation.

I think I'll try to run a multiplayer windows version first (where you succeeded ... I'm still not able to ... so maybe I need to reread what you did .... for instance just compiling and not rebuilding maybe??)
when I succeed here ... I rebuild it on another machine ... after that I will announce on our forum the shutdown of the old and embrace the new .....
After the shut down the old server and running the new EE on a windows machine ... we need to get a solution for managing the files remotely for our "managing-team"

First thing first ... getting it to work just as you did ...
hmmm so compiling first ... and after that running a server via a batchfile executing the new nwserver.exe?? .... maybe oldservervault renaming??
-fire- ? that was just all you did ??
did not make adjustments in hak or override folders?
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 15:00 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 December 2018, 14:33 »

So step by step I did the following (I installed the game through Steam on Windows 7 Pro):

1) Take a copy of the current lotr_gondor_vs_mordor.mod file.

2) Move the mod file into here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\data\mod

3) Open the nwntool.exe Toolset found below and find the module which should be listed:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32

4) Go Build -> Build Module, and click 'Advanced Controls'. Untick everything except 'Scripts' under 'Compile' and hit build. It will take a minute or two at moan about three files but these can be ignored.

5) When finished building hit 'Done'. Then go File -> Save As and use the name 'lotr_gondor_vs_mordor_ee' as it can't seem to overwrite the original mod. Close the Toolset.

6) Go to the following location:
C:\Users\<your windows profile name>\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\modules
Which is where the Toolset seems to save the new mod too and cut (don't copy) it back into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\data\mod
If you don't cut (move it) and just copy it, there seems to be weird issues trying to start it.

7) Open the nwserver.exe Server found below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32

Cool Select the Module Name 'lotr_gondor_vs_mordor_ee', for testing only keep all the default settings EXCEPT untick 'Local Characters Allowed' - this will just enable server vault mode. We have other settings on the live instance but this one setting change is all that is needed for testing the server vault.

9) After a minute or two it should say loaded in the Server app. Fire up nwmain.exe and it will be listed under LAN game locally but will also appear in the Internet games listing. You have to join it from the LAN section when on the same network.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 14:40 by -firecracker- » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 December 2018, 14:34 »

You R great m8 !
I'll follow your steps ... thnx !!

- did a lot of modifications (hak files and override maps copied into C:\My Documents and .ini files modifications for instance)
So uninstalled all and reinstall it just now.

Just brainfarting  Cheesy while waiting ... and wonder ... Could I run server on one machine without needing a running Steam account there !?? (cause I will use that on other machine for Client)
anyone?

keep you all posted
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 15:47 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 December 2018, 14:52 »

For the mod we do have some custom 2da files which just go into the override folder. These shouldn't be needed for testing but will be needed when/if the mod goes public as they handle most of the custom changes (spells/shifter/feats etc).

And of course CEP 2.4 - again go into corresponding foldesr in MyDocuments. If CEP isn't installed it will let you know when you try to open the mod in the toolset.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 14:55 by -firecracker- » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 December 2018, 15:45 »

Hmmm just as last time .... Im a bit stuck here ... server is running (indeed its also reachable by internet I saw) ... loaded the new builded module by starting the new nwserver.exe and unchecked the "local characters allowed"
But I need to type my player name ... then it refuses me (no playername found)
weird thing ... I ran it by batchfile last time and I didnt need to fill in a playername
Didnt you ran into this -fire- ?

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 December 2018, 15:51 »

I did have to add, to nwnplayer.ini - directly under the linke - [Profile]

PlayerName=-firecracker-

But this was a common issue I read about, not sure if it is needed. I also had the check remember name or what ever it said when it asks for your player name.

Is there server online? I can try and connect and see what happens.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16 December 2018, 15:54 »

OK I see it online, when I connect I am getting 'Client and server versions don't match' Angry
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 16 December 2018, 15:57 »

Ah ... thx
But weird thing again ... tried to connect by internet connection ... reply was something like this ... relay failed you try to reach youre own public ip ... try LAN or direct-connect

LAN failed cause I got refused ... direct connect asked password for ip-connection AND again a playername ... just typed test here as before ... and it worked!??? I'm in .... hows that for strangeness !??

Ok so minor accomplishment ... now old character ...
I think we will getting there ...
just hang on ... Smiley

???? you get version problems???
another fuzzy logic issue ???
I'm getting confused here
server version is 8186  ... server info says that ... so it should be correct
Ah wait I'll get it.
Old server still running and my firewall doesnt have portreallocation to my PC ... will get there eventually ... sorry

But more prgression which I didnt have had before .... ported old toon into new servervault (public-CD-Key)map ... and it works !!!!
W00t!!  headbang

more testing to come .... now I will run server from batch ... and try to port database too

bugger .... could login saw my toon did run around a bit ... and ... kaboem without any warning my active client was totally gone ... didnt get into menu either .... oh oh
Continue testing
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 16:15 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 16 December 2018, 16:09 »

Is this the player database? I don't thnk the database will need to be ported as everyone will be coming in on brand new CD keys. In fact that CD key database will probably be redundant on the NWN EE version just because of the differences in how it uses CD keys/logins compared to standard NWN.

A new database will be created from scratch automatically and we can just go with that as it will be clean (even if it is redundant it's probably worth keeping).
« Last Edit: 16 December 2018, 16:17 by -firecracker- » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 16 December 2018, 16:14 »

Yeah I mean our server database ... and i think youre right ... will not work anymore cause of different mechanics with this new EE version.
Will be quite a bummer maybe for some of us.
Ok no database testing ... then testing with some overrides ... and stability issue on the way
Hopefully the batch-variant can be more stable

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 December 2018, 17:12 »

OK OK
story so far ...
it seems it will probably work in the end ...
server seems stable ... client too now ...
Still need a lot more testing from the managing side and player side ...
DM-ing for instance ... -fire- did test it ... I didn't yet ... probably need to modify script for it and I'm still too n00by for just daring that ...

For just the playing testing experience ... I'll open port 5127 instead for the standard 5121 ... and relay it to my PC

So make a shorcut pointing to
"<your-nw-EE-client-Steammap>\bin\win32\nwmain.exe" +connect gvm.publicvm.com:5127
ATTENTION
DONT FORGET the  " ... " between <youre path>\nwmain.exe ... just as I tried to explain above.
In youre path will be something like <neverwinter nights> ... and this has a space in it !! ... computers wont get this ... and will see this as 2 seperate things ....!!
So use of " is necessary.

once in a while I'll let the test server run for a bit .... so players can check and maybe ask in a different forum post for copying their toons in the new testsituation (soon to be real-running-) server
Meanwhile I'll try to find and configure a new server machine (so as long as needed we will have no linux but a windows machine as server)
As soon as the tests are successful AND my new Windows-servermachine is running ... we will have a new era of GVM !!!
 :pompom:
« Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 22:21 by GreyDeth » Logged

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 December 2018, 17:19 »

If you PM me your new public CD I'll add it to the checks as I have already updated it with mine. I can just FTP the mod over as per the standard server.

Testing wise - I was logged in for some time on my test server and didn't see any issues. And the player who was running around for a while didn't report any issues which is good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Jump to: