Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 13:43

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Help/Advice with some quests/areas
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help/Advice with some quests/areas  (Read 1483 times)
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« on: 30 April 2020, 22:17 »

I've been playing a lot and really exploring the mod but am bumping into a few areas/roadblocks and since there's nobody playing I am solo.  Also nobody to ask so I come to the boards.  Any help appreciated.

I know there's sensitivity from the old posts that some areas were made stupid hard and drove people away - not interested - .  If its impossible just say so and I'll skip.  If its doable, I'd love an explanation.

1) Primordial Hobbit in Barrows - is this a joke, or is there actually a way I can beat this thing.  I'm willing to build a specialized toon (xp bonuses make it not too bad), but it cuts through dragon DR, hits AC 95 with ease, and seems to be immune to all damage (elemental, 'irresistible' divine might damage, crits from a 60 STR dragon, and IGMS) all left it unscathed.  

2) Locked Chest in Troll cave - someone asked about this TEN years ago, and the answer was 'Ill PM you in game' and that 3 others had figured it out.  I don't see a boss in the cave or troll area, but am guessing that stone to flesh on the 3 trolls (Bert and Co,) has something to do.  A hint would be appreciated.
got a stone to flesh staff but now bert and co. are gone...

3) Old Man Willow - I really want him dead.  Anyone have a toon/strategy to solo him?  He KDs a dragon with 103 Discipline and kills me in 3 rounds.  I think I could eventually figure him out, but would love advice.  

4) Rivendell Smith - does he do anything or is he just a boss to kill if Mords raid (which will apparently never happen again).
« Last Edit: 01 May 2020, 02:31 by Clevar0ne » Logged
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2020, 12:00 »

Wow ClevarOne, this is really inspiring for me to read, great work!
 ... unfortunately lots of the areas you mention I haven't explored at all.

I hope someone can answer you're questions .. otherwise I need to investigate the mod in detail ... and up until now it drives me mad how many scripts there are running and discourages me completely to run into details.

But this also actually wants me to play again ... (maybe tonight or tomorrow) ...
hmmm ... you triggert something  gandalf

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2020, 18:34 »

I have the entire map from the forums, and am editing it as I go - name of locations, bosses and notes on what you find/fight there.....  Excel file with list of bosses, how many drops they have, what drops they are (as I get them;  I've gotten maybe 25 unique red drops so far) and notes from the battle logs on the bosses (AB/AC damage types, etc.).  Frankly I'm having a blast, but don't want to get frustrated by focusing on untouchables (primordial hobbits) or things that were planned to piss off.  (I de-leveled a character to add one level of sorcerer so I could use a staff to stone to flesh Bert, but this only time, the 3 petrified trolls were gone.  1 hr of my life wasted, and was so frustrated I shut down the game and watched TV instead).  I'll never do the main cities or Rivendell, and am holding off on Barad Dur until I explore everywhere else, because I don't want to get frustrated trying to solo an un-soloable (is that a word?) area. 

Many of the quests aren't well documented in the dialogue bars, but I'm noting those out too.  I wish a few of the vets were still around; they'd done all of this 15 yrs ago and knew all this stuff by heart.

At this point I wish it was a purchased game, because I'd cheat a little so I could explore the whole thing properly.  The place really is a work of art for a 20 yr old game.  If anyone reads this, and they stay in touch with any of the developers, please pass on my decades-late compliments.

FYI I read in a response 'welcome back, I think'.  Assume he didn't remember me.  Understood as I wasn't as dedicated as I am able to be now.  I played Shinee Pennee, Angry, and was the one who got warned for naming a toon 'Gondor Archer', dressing up exactly like the archers in Pelenor, and walking the route until Mords came to attack.  Wish there was someone to attack now.

If you're interested, post a date/time/level range/Gondor or Mordor, and group of areas on the mod, and we can play some hunter killer.  If you're not into that, we can pick a time and go after some bosses.

GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2020, 13:42 »

Ha ... I totally understand what youre saying ... thats the main reason I wanted this mod not get lost ... Turril hosted this mod for years, but lost interest along the way I think, cause the mod was not reachable for a long time ... I feel I've saved this "modhosting" for us all, just in time.

Also I'm beginning to think its about time that the real enthusiasts like you (and me) should get the change to really dive into the mod .. and explore all the secrets there are in this mod
... and maybe, just maybe beginning to think about some slight changes, to make the mod also great for solo and really small party's adventures.

Thing is I'm too afraid what it will do to this mod ... especially because the "real engine" nowadays is Steam ....
and "rogue" or "altered" GvM-mods will arise in Steam if we're not careful.
Plus all the consequences this will have on our really small "GvM-community" ... it will get dispersed.  
Also this needs to be approved by -fire- (our only DM and developer atm)

In the way you write youre "forumtopics" I just feel the enthusiasm and reminds me of my own appeal and fascination for this mod ... I tried to understand all the written code in the scripts ... I also tried to explore doing some DM-ing ... but its too complicated for me to get a grip on all this.

For instance ... I really want to make an adventure that's situated around an escaped Balrog  Evil
But that also involves a lot of written "ad-hoc" communication ... besides some specialized needed scripts
And needs experience with the DM-tools ... skills I don't have and don't quite get the hang of it

So I still have hopes ... just not living up to it.

Meanwhile there are some people like you ... people who are putting a lot of effort to play and explore this mod ... people who maybe can help each other to advance this mod into less impossible area places and with more helpful information
 .... like which bosses need specialized party's or toons or give some other tactical advise here:
http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm2/forum/index.php?board=32.0

Tomorrow (Sunday may 3th, around 15:00 CET (GMT+1)) I'll try to be online
I have mostly Mordor toons (very few Gondor) ... and only 1 I really am proud of ... (shapeshifter-semi-tank) so I like to fool around the mod with this one tomorrow :-)
Hope to see you around there too.

« Last Edit: 02 May 2020, 14:37 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2020, 00:32 »

With firecracker the only DM/developer, no real interest anymore (assuming firecracker is holding on out of fondness for the past only), limited player base, and Steam....I don't see any development happening.  Its STABLE.  Never mess with stable.  If you guys want to share documentation I'll put stuff up as 'guides' for potential new players, but it's not fair to ask for development work on a 20 yr old mod that one person is left holding on to for nostalgia only. 

I'll be on tomorrow when you get on, with a Mordor.  If we can get some people to come back consistently, play together, there's a LOT we can do on this great mod. 

I'll put up 'ways to beat bosses' as we get them in the tactical area.  One benefit of the lack of interest is I don't see any chance of having bosses 'fixed' if we find a way to beat it. 

And I repeat; this place really is a work of art. 
sestitodc
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2020, 17:04 »

2) Locked Chest in Troll cave - someone asked about this TEN years ago, and the answer was 'Ill PM you in game' and that 3 others had figured it out.  I don't see a boss in the cave or troll area, but am guessing that stone to flesh on the 3 trolls (Bert and Co,) has something to do.  A hint would be appreciated.
got a stone to flesh staff but now bert and co. are gone...

Bear in mind it's been a long time so I might be misremembering, but I think there was a key on the ground somewhere in the previous zone (Trollshaws). I think it was near a tree. It's super small and easy to miss.
jopacr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2020, 18:55 »

Great call on the excel notes ClevarOne.. I was just about to do the same thing. My experience with bosses in the past was to join a more experienced party and tag along to learn, kill what I can etc. Now it's up to me to learn by dying lol. Are your boss notes up for share?

I'm also attempting a type of item database in excel. It will be large lol. But focusing on red items for sure, who drops, where they drop etc, all stats involved. There'll also be simple higher level items. I'd like to get them all together to find optimal gear combos, else run the risk of say, ability boost slippage, or overlapping resistance boosts that won't stack etc.

Probly half my GvM game time is actually working in excel. I might be gaming wrong XD (or right?)
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2022, 23:00 »

1) Primordial Hobbit in Barrows - is this a joke, or is there actually a way I can beat this thing.  I'm willing to build a specialized toon (xp bonuses make it not too bad), but it cuts through dragon DR, hits AC 95 with ease, and seems to be immune to all damage (elemental, 'irresistible' divine might damage, crits from a 60 STR dragon, and IGMS) all left it unscathed.  

All you need to beat the little dead hobbits is a bludgeoning weapon.
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2022, 23:02 »

4) Rivendell Smith - does he do anything or is he just a boss to kill if Mords raid (which will apparently never happen again).

Kill Elrond drops a key which the Smith is guarding.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: