Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 19:57

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Warrior Gauntlet Ring issue?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Warrior Gauntlet Ring issue?  (Read 1039 times)
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« on: 16 October 2020, 17:31 »

Got my warrior gauntlet ring - called Warrior's Signet Ring.  spec - "+1 AB every (fighter) level over 20"

Unfortunately I'm now level 23 fighter, and only seeing +1 AB.  Anyone know if this was nerfed and not posted?  Or is there another explanation?
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2020, 18:30 »

I can't find any reference to what specifically the ring is meant to do in the forum other than one historic 12 year old reference says something about +1 AB per fighter level over 20, but that was from a player rather than an old dev so no idea if that information was correct when it was posted.

I see the description of the ring does say 1 bonus per level over 20.

I'll have a look in the mod and see what it is meant to do.

« Last Edit: 16 October 2020, 18:38 by -firecracker- » Logged
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2020, 18:58 »

Yep the bonus has changed. It looks like you get +1 AB for every two levels over 20 now. I guess the +1 for every level was deemed to be overpowered and got toned down or maybe that was the pre-wipe version before everything got toned down.

I'm hoping that once your toon hits 24 levels of fighter you will see it go up to +2.

I did see a couple of other additions though - if you get to 31 levels of fighter an additional +2 is added and if you get to 39 levels of fighter a further +5 is added, which is combined with the +2.

I should probably update the description of the ring so it is correct  Roll Eyes
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2020, 00:28 »

Hey all

Ok after spending quite a lot of time trawling the forums I think I've pieced together the 'story' of the fighter ring from the gauntlet.

The Past:
- It was introduced to the mod sometime during or before 2008 - before the server was toned down and the vault wipe occurred (e.g. when Issendor existed for those players who remember that)
- It was originally implemented with the +1AB per 1 level of fighter over 20, as described on the ring itself
- After it was added to the mod there was talk (mainly from an active DM at the time but also by some players) about how OP/unbalanced it was (e.g. builds can get a static 73-74 AB)

The Present:
- Today the ring exists in the mod but instead is +1AB per 2 levels of fighter over 20 and an additional bonus of +2 at 31 levels and +5 at 39 levels, but has the old description on it still  BangHead
- This change to the ring was unannounced which draws me to the conclusion that it was likely changed as part of the massive effort to tone-down the mod and when the vault was wiped - this happened in December 2008, just after the ring was being talked about lots

My conclusion
It's rather frustrating from my POV that the description on the ring was not updated as now there is an expectation that it's meant to have the old stats on it. My POV is with the old DM, +1AB per level is unbalanced and kills off character variation

But...I kind of get the arguments of lower player base these days and all, but buffing just one class with an unbalance bonus isn't the answer. I'd prefer honestly to sit there go through the mod and lower the AC of any NPCs/bosses that require it, rather than re-introduce an unbalanced feature, even if it would require a lot more time.

I'm still mulling this over...

-fc-
« Last Edit: 23 October 2020, 21:07 by -firecracker- » Logged
Sky
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2020, 18:11 »

I think the 1+ ab per 2 fighter lvls is fair, however does it go om the +20 ab cap? Never built a fighter with the widget though.

Crazy  idea: re-add issendor?? Grin

-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2020, 21:11 »

Haha, it was a great and very well built area for sure.

My understanding is that it got removed (as part of server tone down and vault wipe) because it was a made up place and didn't exist in Middle Earth. But instead of it just being scrapped I believe that a lot of the NPCs/items from Issendor got re-used for other areas (with a fair amount of modifications).

For example Niko (if I remember his name) was rebuilt as Elrond, the elf mobs from Issendor generally make up the mobs in Rivendell, and the Dwarves from Issendor make up the mobs in Lonely Mountain.
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2020, 23:13 »

The Warrior's Signet Ring - description says +1 AB per level over 20.  This is incorrect.  
Based on my testing of the actual item it is +1 AB per 2 levels.  However at fighter level 31 you get +2 AB (taking Ring on/off changes AB by 7).  FC also noted in code that at lvl 39 additional +5.  Based on this a lvl 32 fighter should get +8 AB and a lvl 39 fighter should get +16 AB from Ring. 

Harper Scout Potion - The Lion's Courage HS potion is supposed to add +5 AB.  This does not stack with the Warrior's Signet Ring bonus right now, but firecracker is looking into it.  

As an aside the Harper Scout potions are poison to anyone without 5 HS levels.  

Sky - I'm not positive but highly confident that the ring is part of the +20 AB cap, like the HS potion is.  
« Last Edit: 24 October 2020, 13:07 by Clevar0ne » Logged
Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2020, 16:27 »

It would be cool if at level 31 and 39 you could get extra attacks per round aswell.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: