Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 11:03

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  Server not enforcing item lvl restrictions
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Server not enforcing item lvl restrictions  (Read 3865 times)
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« on: 15 November 2020, 17:02 »

I noticed today that the server is not enforcing item lvl restrictions anymore. Was this change intentional? Just want to say that it greatly impacts low-lvl area balance. For example: i just started an new toon, and could run around at lvl 2 with 45+ ac, 15+ ab and a lot of dmg reduction.

Don't think this adds to the gaming experience (and therefore think it was mistakenly changed).

Also, someone recently mentioned the server didn't enforce legal characters, but haven't verified that myself (wouldn't even know how to be frank).
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2020, 21:50 »

No this is not intensional but I think the way the server is configured to start at the moment.

Grey, can you double check the settings and make sure the same settings are used that the pre EE version was running, from the top of my head the specific ones should be:

Difficulty : D&D hardcore rules

Enforce Legal Characters : enabled
Item Level Restrictions : enabled

-fc-
Thiagow2008
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2020, 12:04 »

Something to consider. A Wemic RDD going full STR or a Brownie taking as much DEX as possible would fail the ELC validation?

Because they can start with 25 STR/DEX, respectively.
-firecracker-
Administrator
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2020, 21:37 »

Mmm, that could certainly be a problem. Without really testing further I guess the Enforce Legal Characters should be left as-is. If it becomes a problem a custom script might be needed to check valid characters instead.

Cheers for noticing Thia!
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2020, 11:32 »

We had a new player on yesterday.  Built his 2nd character, a Brownie Ranger.  I watched him build it to lvl 6-8 or so.  Logged off and couldn't log it back in - said it booted him due to illegal character.  He COULD log his original character in though.  Was enforce legal char on yesterday?  

Hope we didn't lose a new player.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2020, 19:59 »

Nope.
enforced legal char is off

And about item lvl restriction ... is also off ... but if everyone sees this as imbalanced, I could turn it on again?

Just turned it on again ... also changed startup batchfile to do just that.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2020, 20:09 by GreyDeth » Logged

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Are NOT After Me.
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2020, 21:43 »

Grey/FC,

I request you give the players some warning.  I've heard 3 players with locked out characters now.  I bet most of us have some.  Go through one server reset with restrictions off so everyone can clean up their characters, and then turn it on.  

We have a handful of new players, all of whom got a giftbag of goodies from some of us who've played a while to ease the start, and now their toons are locked out.
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2020, 09:12 »

I agree that it's probably smart to turn _off_ item lvl restriction for another week, to let ppl remove items from their toons and make them legal again. Just leave a warning here on forum that it will be enabled again.
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2020, 13:45 »

Thnx 2 Clevar0ne who notified me of the trouble some are in now because of the lvl restrictions ... I've removed the lvl restrictions again ....
So I guess I leave it this way for a week !?

bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2020, 14:01 »

Awesome, I'll log my toon immediately and make sure he is not carrying illegal stuff!

Thx Grey, thx CleverOne
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2020, 20:24 »

Thanks Grey!  Was able to take the belts off my Mules.....  I think a week is good, then back to level restrictions.

But it is kind of a rush to put Eomer's spear in a 2nd lvl toon. 
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2020, 15:10 »

Got another issue - built a new toon (brownie) and cannot log it into game due to "Invalid Character - player log in refused.  Invalid ability scores".

We had this debate months back that Wemic and Brownie were not going to be nerfed.  So how are these invalid ability scores?  Pls advise.  This is a bit frustrating
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2020, 17:54 »

Something to do with "enforce legal characters"?
Cause this is on atm

Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2020, 21:53 »

Enforce legal characters apparently invalidates low level Wemics and brownies.  We went through this a few months ago.  We should go enforce legal character - off.  And item level restriction - on.
Optimist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2020, 00:20 »

Got another issue - built a new toon (brownie) and cannot log it into game due to "Invalid Character - player log in refused.  Invalid ability scores".

We had this debate months back that Wemic and Brownie were not going to be nerfed.  So how are these invalid ability scores?  Pls advise.  This is a bit frustrating

I tried to create a test toon today (Brownie with Max Dex) and got the same message.

Opt.
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2020, 07:39 »

Do we know what the actual value for str and dex is that triggers the invalid character message? I think i saw someone post it is only once choosing dex 25, with dex 24 still being fine. If that is the case, i'd favor having enforce legal characters ON and putting a message on forum that wemic/brownie can "only" start at dex/str 24.

Rationale: it could hardly be considered a nerf for those races, because they are way overpowered to start with and it is not like the ability points vanish. They just move somewhere else. Also, having enforce legal ON would give me some safe feeling for making cheeting harder (although i admit I wouldn't know how to do it and/or this mechanism helps to fend this off)
Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2020, 08:16 »

24 wont do it either.  Worrying about cheating when we don't know how to cheat isn't the answer.  We've been playing with Wemic and Brownie legal and playable for many months and had a debate on forum.  Just flicking on the switch and killing them is not the answer.   
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2020, 12:12 »

"Enforce legal chars" is now off
THIS week only ! (till Sunday)

Nxt week (on Monday 30th) item AND legal chars enforcement go ON

Clevar0ne
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2020, 14:37 »

Respectfully, this is a bad idea.  As long as Wemics and Brownies are playable, enforce legal characters should stay OFF.  We still don't have THAT many players, and a lot of them like the Brownies and the Wemics.  If they are playable and enforce legal characters is ON, there will be problem after problem. 

Put item level restrictions on, but keep enforce legal characters off.  my 2 cents. 
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2020, 15:02 »

Youre right
So ... legal item enforcement goes ON Monday
enforce legal chars stays off ... because of the wemic/brownie issues

bad_karma
Developer
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2020, 19:27 »

All fine with me! Sry for the confusing '24' mention. I thought I read a post on this forum that claimed it was the '25' ability scores that were killing it. Anyway: i have quite some wemic/brownie builds now, so I too would like to keep them and the extra build options they bring.

The cheating remark, fyi, was triggered by a toon that was seen online with more than 2000 hps. Not sure if this was true or not.. i just thought to share it so that all is on the table when we make decisions.

Cheers!
MissionFailed
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2020, 11:02 »

Since I've been back, Enforce Legal Characters has been off. I'm guessing it's due to the Wemics/Brownies. It makes the most sense.

Item Level Restriction has ALWAYS been on since I first joined the community back in Acid Rain Clan days.

Lastly, I could use a small window with Item Lvl Res off so I can unequip a toon or 2. I thought it seemed odd that I could equip certain things. Requesting 48 hours to get it done.

I like to check server details often. I'm ashamed that I didn't catch the lvl res was off.

MF = Mission Failed. Anything else is wrong.
jopacr

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2020, 15:42 »

I agree with a window of opportunity as I shamedly admit I left one item on a mule that completely slipped my mind and triggered him as illegal.

The consideration is much appreciated!
GreyDeth
admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2020, 23:44 »

<sigh> ok, ok ... this Friday evening (its now evening in Europe) and Saturday item lvl restrictions are off.
Sunday item lvl restrictions are ON again

jopacr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2020, 03:52 »

Thank you! Much appreciated, all fixed up for my part!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: