Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 01:02

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  The Battle for Osgiliath
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Battle for Osgiliath  (Read 22432 times)
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« on: 28 August 2008, 20:15 »

Something I would like to see added to the Module is where both factions have the chance to take over Osgilliath. The faction that claims Osg at that time controls the bridge and who can pass. I believe this will add to what is really missing and thats player encounters.
No one goes out and hunts anymore all people do is go out and try and get a drop from so and so. Adding a specific area where control is decided by battle would boost my enjoyment of the game. I have some detailed information on this area but don't want to share everything at once until i see some other player reaction.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2008, 21:07 »

Good Idea Park! I really like it, as long as Mordor's control fir st  Evil

J/K, I would love to see this implamented though.

Have an Evil Day.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2008, 00:14 »

Very nice idea! I vote yes for that!

In fact, I had another idea on another topic but no one awnsered it: that Gem of Seeing could be ramdonly hidden somewhere on the server each reset and, when some1 finds it, it starts that event Adrox played many times.
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2008, 08:53 »

Love this idea.  GVM is really to big to hunt people anymore.
biif

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2008, 13:45 »

Great idea!
Ive felt the same about pvp,  its hard to find Tongue
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2008, 14:30 »

I think it's about time to bring this to the eye's of DM's. I would ut, Don't wanna steal oarks Idea, so park, would you like to?

Have an Evil Day.
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2008, 17:43 »

The event was FANTASTIC!!! Lag issues kinda made it frustrating but between the previous event and the fight for Osgil, it felt like GvM again. Lately the PvP has been SORELY lacking as people manufacture toons to seek out items in new areas. GREAT job!

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2008, 19:13 »

For those of us that didn't get to participate, maybe you could add a few details about what made it so great? I understand it was fantastic, and I got several tells saying so after I logged in right after it; but so far, all I know is that there was PvP and Osgiliath was involved.

I know on the old Osgiliath, Terrorble hosted a PvP event when it was just "run in and kill the other guys, retreat to Aduin if you die".
WooldorSockbat
Poster

Plays: Not Set

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2008, 20:09 »

A bunch of ~lvl 40's were having some fun raiding MM/MT then switching. Regardless, it was a bit challenging, so Lief had the idea to fight for the new towers in osgil. The group controlling the towers after 30 minutes wins. A portal was up between pf and xroads, so either team could attack from either side.

So pvp carnage ensued... it was very all out kill everything type of team-play pvp fun. The towers added a lot since, casters or archers could go up there and avoid all the melee flak.

It'd be really cool to see this implemented as a 24/7 module addition. Stealing an idea from Neversummer, the faction controlling could get a % xp bonus whenever they kill something... give the level 40's some reason to pvp, while helping out the lower folks in their party.
parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2008, 05:42 »

"I love when a plan comes together." in my best George Pappard voice. We need more functions like the one held previously in this HUGE HUGE world we play in to make pvp the staple of the community, NOT items. I know I didn't stick around GvM for the items I stuck around for the PvP.
And for crying out loud somebody track the PVP kills again. That is all. *theme from the A-Team plays in the background*  Grin
WooldorSockbat
Poster

Plays: Not Set

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2008, 06:00 »

And for crying out loud somebody track the PVP kills again.

I think that's how pvp got so competitive to begin with. Everyone wanted an edge to do a little better, started farming, etc etc. Everyone wants to be the hunter... if there were no uber leet ridiculous items (mimics trident), then nobody would need to become obsessed with farming, and the pvp playing field would be pretty even.

Maybe make harder areas drop 1000xp tokens you can turn in on any toon, instead...
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2008, 07:20 »

Battling for those towers.  That's a great idea.  The addition of those portals has been incredibly helpful for events.  So I can make this event happen easily when I'm around but how would it work if it was a "persistent" event?
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2008, 17:09 »

What a great pvp night yesterday! Great idea!
Wake of death
admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2008, 21:56 »

Hello,

Mr. T wrote
"would it work if it was a "persistent" event?"

It would if more ppl where on all the time. But if it becomes an event everyday that there is enough ppl to make it fun then yeah, I had a blast when i wasnt dead!?!?

Thanks
Wake

Thanks
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2008, 00:21 »

I've always had this strange idea about adding a server-wide 'capture the flags' game.
Basically, there are a bunch of flags or other notation in certain areas that can be controlled by either Mordor or Gondor; every 5 minutes when the cleanup script runs, each flag would give 100-500 xp to the team that controls it. It's a different way for highbies to help level their team.

Rules/Implementations of the flags: All PvP rules still apply. Flags will have a level associated with the difficulty in the area (level 22 monsters? The flag is level 19-25; ie.: +/- 3). To save lag and server-spam, the flags do not have an associated shout, but the party that controls it will receive a message in their log stating (for example: Your team now controls the Osgiliath flag! (level 20-26 PvP) OR Your team has lost control of the Osgiliath flag! (level 20-26 PvP))

It's been sort of a toy-idea; could work as a DM event or something more persistent.
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2008, 00:59 »

IS there going to be anything done with this because I love this idea. IT could open up so much more pvp and be fun for everyone and a constant event.

Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2008, 02:05 »

IS there going to be anything done with this because I love this idea. IT could open up so much more pvp and be fun for everyone and a constant event.
That's the whole point of talking about it... so hopefully. The scripts need to be written and there is much to do, so you won't likely see it for a while yet; especially considering some other items that are more imperative, but stick around kiddo! you could see it yet.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2008, 03:41 »

As a non-persistant DM event we can always define the levels, put in portals and set it off.  This much is fun and works great.
If we want to make it more about the towers or controlling the city I could think of a few other ideas.  We could add a placeable at either end, each with a flag in its inventory.  The flags could then be picked up and carried to your faction side of the bridge and put in the flag placeable there.  When both flags are together for X amount of time it could offer an xp reward for the party.  Flags of course would be marked as a stolen item or auto-drop when the player died.  Osgil could be made a perma-DP area to facilitate it (??)  Something along those lines.
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2008, 21:14 »

I like that idea. but don't make it lvl specific.  Make it any lvl.  It would be nice to make it that if you take the flag, anylvl can attack you to make it so people don't log on lvl 5s and just carry over the flag.

Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2008, 23:11 »

I disagree. I think it should be level restricted; and I also think you misunderstand (because of your level 5 comment).
I'd want to encourage PvP at all levels, if you take off the level restriction limit you're going to end up with a bunch of level 40s hording the flags - bad.
If a level 5 wanted to run in and take the flag, he would have to go to a flag that includes level 5; and I highly doubt there would be one. We're talking levels 20+ here.

So without a level restriction, level 40s can log on and just carry over the flag, and that discourages lower levels.
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 September 2008, 23:38 »

Hmm. I see your point. so make 3 flags maybe?  Thing I was thinking with just one flag was there will be 4 lvl 20s gang up on me and take me down and we don't want to discourage that. just trying to think of a way to include that and keep it pvp friendly for all lvls.

parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2008, 21:36 »

My original idea around this topic was to make Osgilliath another quest area for control of the bridge.
Mordor has some boss that holds a key to a tower.  Gondor boss maybe Boromir holds a key to the other tower. Kill the boss get the key give your party xp. Don't get me wrong I love the recent DM events using the towers but lets make that area more persistant.
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2008, 15:44 »

I like this idea .. sounds fun  Grin

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2008, 20:15 »

I very much like the ideas put forth in this thread.

I've actually thought about the Osgiliath event before. I thought it would not only be fun, but would draw larger numbers of players to the server if the event was scheduled to happen say once a week, or if more frequently desired, once every two or three days. All it would take is a willing and somewhat punctual DM staff.
The winning side could get control of Osgiliath (and some kind of bonus for such) until the next conflict. This would definitely inspire regular PvP fun between the factions I think.

I think Rade's idea for a Capture the Flag or Base Control type PvP game is awesome. Being a horrible scripter, I can't fathom what it would involve to create such a game/event (DM moderated or Server Moderated).

While I am not saying lowbies should be excluded I think there should be a minimum level requirement for participation in such events. My first thought was level 20+, but maybe even 10+ could work. The Osgiliath Conflict could be a 20+ only, and the Capture the Flag/Base Control event could have seperate areas for different level ranges such as 10-15, 15-20, etc...or something along those lines (Borrowed from above ideas).

Rewards for participating and or winning these events would be cool too, maybe redeemable gold and xp tokens, as stated earlier. Of course, it would be nice if the rewards were worthwhile enough (based on level maybe) to encourage participation rather than just doing something else like going out and farming for item drops or whatever.

Either way, these are just some of my opinions on these things, but I do love the ideas being thrown around in this thread and encourage their implementation if possible...and, even though I can't script well, I would offer to help design these in any way.
Mistress Zevia Shadowlust
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2008, 17:37 »

Obviously Parknutz, I think its a great Idea. something that GvM had been needing a LONG time now.  That said, I have mentioned to DM's that they should be implimenting Doors on all the towers that have a bash script like all the other gates and such and the doors could be lockable by another party member when you go up in the tower, and trapped, whatever.  Further more, thres isn't nearly enough server shouts for Gates being bashed. PF, X roads, Edoras, Great agte and Minas Morgul gate. I'd like to see Every Damn Gate in this place that leads somwhere faction oriented throw a Server shout. World is too damn big to be hunting anymore without proper things in place.

On the idea of Irades Capture the flag sort of thing, Although I love the idea in principle, I can see far too much meta gaming that would just not be good for GvM. I Play on Antiworld a lot and when its a slow night for players thats when you get your MASSIVE level gains. I can jump 10 levels easy in a matter of a couple of hours yet when its busy I can barely get a level in that time.  Perhaps a % to the PvP kill bonus would be better like a small bump or something.  Be nice to see more NPC's there as well since if your a Newb you can still go around the Bridge thru the boat in Anduin. Or thru the Sewers since they were put there for a REASON.  Maybe a group like Terrorbles Gondor Brigade. I like those buggers. Very nice work on them and they do GREAT a s a team even as NPC's. A Mordor Version of same stats blah blah blah would be great to even it out. That way it would not only be hard to capture in the first place but hard to Keep as well once you have it when respawns start.

Never made sense to me that it was so easy to get thru there all these years.... its a KEY position as far as the War was concerned yet its completely useless in its current state.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to: