Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 April 2024, 06:43

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Items
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Items  (Read 26792 times)
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2008, 15:18 »

It would help to have a guideline. I could come up with some interesting things but I dont know what my limitations are. Do I need to make it in the toolset so that I know the level restriction? How high can I go on enhancement? +6? AC +8? How many bonuses can we have? How high of a % or x/- can we go? 10? 50?

I dont want to waste my time on it if I dont know how far I can go.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2008, 01:36 »

Below I encourage you to post ideas for new items that you would like to see. Please keep in mind that they don't all have to be the most-uber-top-quality item and that just about anything is possible.
We are trying to lower the magic level a little, so don't rely on your current GvM1 item experience as a blueprint, but more as a guideline for the maximum. A LotR theme is encouraged, but not necessary.

I've bolded and underlined the important parts, hopefully that helps you understand the original post.
If I doesn't:

Use your own discretion, if you think +6 enhancement is a good idea, post it. No one is going to flame your ideas, and if they do I will delete it. If you think an item is balanced, or is perhaps part of a larger view you have on items, please include a bit about that.

As far as going too far: The toolset is the limit. I can always interpret the main idea behind an item and scale it.
If for example your idea is... I dunno, an armor that is entirely insulated except for the upper torso so that it builds up static charge and magical charge and then releases the charge whenever hit and has +100% electrical immunity and onhit Chain Lightning; excellent. I get the idea, I can make it 15/- and Onhit Gedlee's Electric loop.... if I thought the other version was too powerful.

Do you have to include toolset properties at all? No. If you give an idea about what the item would be like in words, I could extrapolate likely properties and maybe even PM you to see if you think they're okay.

Be creative, there are no limits. I'll keep your above post and this one because they could be helpful to others.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2008, 02:24 »

OK... coming back on topic then:

Yesterday there was some talk about the future, and one of the topics were items of course. General ideas brought up were:

2-handed weapons doing more damage than 1-handed;

lowering ac from equips and making item with dr have less ac and vice-versa;

limiting enhancement to +4 so stoneskins and premonitions have some uses, which could translate into weapons having +5 ab but not +5 enhancement so the only way to get a +5 enhancement would be with with gmw.

limiting immunities to single item properties

10 dr / immunity as a max value, only armor and shield can have 'em, shields having piercing immunity and armor the rest

That was all I remember for now.

Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2008, 04:26 »

Waaaaaaaaaagh Banner

Deep in the goblin tunnels of the misty mountains  The goblin king reigns supreme over a horde of goblins vast in numbers and fell in purpose  Their warcry is a deep shout  cried out in unission as they charge their foes heedless of ther own lives this banner is emblazoned with their warcry in the tounge of goblins WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

CAST WARCRY 7 1/day

Cast tensers transformation 13 1/day

This item is a banner and is equiped torch like in the offhand.
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2008, 15:53 »

I'm sorry that Im not being more specific in my item suggestion but as I haven't seen all the items in the mod, I cant get a grip on what is needed in a precise sense. I DO, however, know what enhancements would be helpful-

More magical/divine dmg weapons
more magical/divine DR on items THAT ARE USEFUL- I see items all of the time that have properties that would be great... if they were going to be used. I dont know of very many people that use ANY armor other than clothing or full plate. And we all know why. So having chain mail (unless it has a neg % to arcane failure) or scale, padded, studded, etc.- is a general waste of time. Unless you can eliminate neg dex bonus, arcane spell failure etc.

And unless there is going to be an uber quarterstaff that would actually get used, making those and other such weapons are a waste of time

Anything in the CEP list of weapons(yes I have seen an uber CEP drop) is also a waste. It's also a space hog in the mod.

I may not be able to contribute to a specific item but these issues need focus if you are going to make items people arent going to look at as junk.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 December 2008, 13:13 »

I think Rings of Illusiory Fire should go.  Too much for a "low" level item I think.  I love them, but I think they affect balance.  Especially in the early-mid stages.

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 December 2008, 17:22 »

Flame Weapon and the Rings were lowered. The Elemental Ring sold in the shops will negate it's awsome power.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 December 2008, 05:41 »

Shins I hope you are kidding????  What is the most powerful class?  Cleric...what do clerics get for FREE DARKFIRE...(Editing myself) Fire rings just put everyone else even.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 December 2008, 00:01 »

That's a good point about Clerics, cb.  However, I think that the RoIF was so ubiquitous that it made a whole elemental parameter sporked.  I care less about PvP than I care about PvEverything, so that's my focus.  On balance *cough* if Cleric Darkfire is also an issue, individual spells can also be modified.  Where Clerics are concerned, there are other, bigger issues than just darkfire.  Of course, if I got my way I'd ge-  *strangled noise*.....

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2009, 20:20 »

I had an idea regarding armors today when thinking about the gear I need for my bard Tongue

One way I see to improve some lesser used armor types, like Light and Medium, is tying the feats "Evasion" and "Improved Evasion" to them.

While Heavy Armor offers more protection and better AC, Medium Armor could offer "Evasion" for beeing less restrictive and Light Armor could offer "Improved Evasion" for beeing even less restrictive  Tongue.

Of course, I'm not saying that all armors should follow that rule, but maybe ones like:

Lorien Chainmail/Breastplate

AC +4
Weight Reduction
Evasion
MasterThief
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2009, 10:02 »

I would like to see some more monk stuff with a wis bonus attached to it if possible, pre-wipe there was alot of cleric (and some druid) stuff with a plus to wisdom but i dont always build with umd in mind. Gloves and robes are well represented but maybe a belt, helm or even a ring specifically for monks.

While im on (a bit of a rarity) i would like to ask olle if his imaginary monk set is still in the server post wipe?  Grin
Sisyphus
Poster

to live is to die - to die is to live

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 July 2009, 05:35 »

Flail of Shards
//The precise origin of this weapon is not reported, but it is rumoured to have been crafted by a dwarven blacksmith in Issendor from the remnants of some unfortunate Crystalline Golems// (or insert your own story here)

*Heavy Flail
*Enhancement: +6
+1d12 slashing damage bonus
+2 electrical
Keen
2d12 massive critical
Fighter Only

------------------------------------------------

I thought of this because there isn't any good heavy flail I know in G vs. M.  I would like to see more diversity of weapons here, rather than being forced by default to go with the usual rapier, scimitar, longsword, or b.s..(boring sword)  An obvious means of doing this, it seems to me, is to increase the efficacy of less popular weapons.

(A quarterstaff, for instance, could provide +3 dodge AC, +5 enchantment, with keen and 2d6 electrical, 1d12 massive crit.  When's the last time you've seen a keen quarterstaff?  There was a dagger with Disjunction on hit a long time ago.  Maybe  a Disjunction is too powerful, but I don't see why a greater dispelling is out of the question, as it's after all, only a dagger.)

Moreover I quite like the idea of some two-handed weapons providing +6 bonus, for the trade in AC.
Heavy Flail was chosen in particular because it's what I believe to be the best bludgeoning weapon with its decent crit range (19-20), and I used to quite enjoy heavy flails doing massive damage on crits until they for the most part disappeared.

« Last Edit: 16 July 2009, 06:26 by Sisyphus » Logged
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2009, 04:47 »

Haha, look at the 'Underworld" heavy flail that scav sells. It's better than most of the boss items that I have seen.

And there is a +5, 2d10 bludgeon quarterstaff in Corsairs....but its not keen...and the bonus is same as base so it doesn't even stack with the +5...so yeah...nevermind..
Sisyphus
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 July 2009, 05:11 »

hm, that "underworld" rings a bell.  yeah, it's keen, isn't it?  hmmm.  what are its stats again?

and about the quarterstaff--- you see, I want to make a quarterstaff WM.. ^^
really really badly.
but not with that.
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2009, 18:45 »

personally I've never thought keen made since on anything other than a weapon with an edge...you know "keen edge."  Something else that makes little since is added type damage of the same type.  +1-12 in added slash on a sword is.... I'm not sure if the DM staff is ever going to get that is hard to get excited about crappy weapons.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 July 2009, 19:45 »

I changed Rad's staff to a quarterstaff on the last update since it makes no sense to have a magic staff with melee type damage properties.

The mind mages in Dagorlad and Morannon and the Channelers or Spirit Guides in Lorien have qstaves as well.

Heavy flail, best one might be the one on Ugluk Puglik in Morannon.  I like the weapon, I used it there and on the Mordor snagas at the outpost.  If the WK doesn't drop his then I'll add a version that does drop.

Keen seems weird to me on non-blade items too but you could stretch and consider it a descriptive term for a very well designed/crafted weapon such that it's better at what it does than others.
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2009, 23:06 »

Haha, well...

Keen on any weapon seems fine to me, if the weapon is keen then its keen, who cares.

Now the spell on the other hand, Keen EDGE, only works on slashing weapons.
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 July 2009, 02:38 »

I suppose if you wanted to be really technical and say "keen should only apply to edged weapons" then another item property could be made up which had the same effect and a different name, but I doubt anybody (even me) is so pedantic that things would need to go that far.  Tongue

I just see a keen weapon, as Pink said, as a higher quality one. Be it stronger, better balanced, sharper, harder material, easier to use...
For example - You get a strong flail, and then you get a keen flail, which has...say a more balanced weight distribution, and a harder weight (eg, titanium head rather than steel) making it easier to swing and ergo easier to aim at critical spots (like limb joints, or weak points in the armour), or else more powerful and harder to stop with a shield. You get a strong sword, which is heavy and sharp, and then you get a keen one, which has better balance and a sharper edge, making it easier to slip under a guard...

As for added damage - it's just a better weapon again. Every weapon type has a base damage, say 1d6. That means every sword of that type, no matter how strong, sharp, or well balanced, is just as good as any other sword of the same type. Added damage is like the difference between a steel sword and a diamond-edged sword, the diamond edged one would be sharper, would keep it's edge longer, and would do more damage on impact. Hence the extra damage of the same type.

Adding other types of damage can be explained by...say putting spikes on a flail (piercing damage), or weighting an axe so that even without cleaving (axes don't technically slash) your opponent you're still hurting them just with the sheer weight of the axe (bludgeoning damage). You could put little blades on arrows, rather than arrow tips (I've seen them in real life, it can be done) so that as they enter they cut open the enemy rather than just stab them. Bows can have different poundage, meaning they take more force to draw back and then the arrow goes faster upon release, doing more damage.

That went on a bit longer than I thought...oh well.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Sisyphus
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 July 2009, 02:24 »

Somebody has to show me where Morannon is, as there appear to be such items there.

I did happen to finally find a +4 Keen Quarterstaff yesterday, with some interesting enchantments on it, which I think my new mage might be capable of using.

So... which PC is willing to test whether the WK drops his flail or not? ^.~

I changed Rad's staff to a quarterstaff on the last update since it makes no sense to have a magic staff with melee type damage properties.

The mind mages in Dagorlad and Morannon and the Channelers or Spirit Guides in Lorien have qstaves as well.

Heavy flail, best one might be the one on Ugluk Puglik in Morannon.  I like the weapon, I used it there and on the Mordor snagas at the outpost.  If the WK doesn't drop his then I'll add a version that does drop.

Keen seems weird to me on non-blade items too but you could stretch and consider it a descriptive term for a very well designed/crafted weapon such that it's better at what it does than others.
MasterThief
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 July 2009, 15:16 »

I would like to see some items from the book. Beater and Biter swords, lorien cloaks with the hide properties to match like the ones given to the fellowship, sting, mitheral mail etc.

Items that your toon could use for say 1 month before they disappeared back to a random drop NOT the bosses as this would lead to the usual suspects getting them all the time  Smiley
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 22 July 2009, 07:52 »

Items that your toon could use for say 1 month before they disappeared back to a random drop NOT the bosses as this would lead to the usual suspects getting them all the time  Smiley
Whaaaat?! Explain this monthly use thing, it seems like something that would make me very mad as a player, haha.  wink
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2009, 16:11 »

I have to agree with Rabbac about items from the books.  I thought it was weird that the undead hobbit Oblib dropped a freaking hand axe and not a short sword...
Mistress Zevia Shadowlust
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 July 2009, 23:06 »

I have to agree with Rabbac about items from the books.  I thought it was weird that the undead hobbit Oblib dropped a freaking hand axe and not a short sword...

*shakes head*

Get the Facts straight...... it was a Kukri.
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23 July 2009, 07:00 »

Ahh thats right but it still should have been a SS.
MasterThief
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23 July 2009, 09:56 »

Whaaaat?! Explain this monthly use thing, it seems like something that would make me very mad as a player, haha.  wink

Smiley Basically so there is only one in the game at any given time, since they are special items, either available for 1 month or loose when killed would be good.

If you make the one ring surely it should have hips +30 Hide and +30 MS and if possible undetectable by TS only usable by good, if evil gets a hold of it returning it to the baradur would bring 9 random black riders laying waste to any Gondor they pass throughout the land  Evil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to: