Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 13:33

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  A Server Wipe
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A Server Wipe  (Read 22011 times)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« on: 29 August 2008, 22:02 »

It's obviously a heated discussion. Let me explain why its important:

We need a server vault whipe. The advantages are numerous and beneficial to the community, hopefully everyone can eventually agree upon the necessity and humbly accept the change.

First and foremost, to clear up all the old characters in order to fully implement all the changes that have occurred to the game itself and the changes to the module.
Second, it would guarantee the removal of all Concentrated Evil items, all undroppable items, unsellable items, and start everyone on the same blank slate.
Third, it frees up space on the server and the vault would likely not reach its former size anytime soon due to a smaller player base and mostly the length of time the module has been available.

I previously argued that a vault wipe would do very little, because the old vets and those with a lot of time would rapidly overtake newbies in power and things would continue as they have. At the time, this argument was valid and I still stick by it. However, with the changes proposed there would actually be a need for a wipe, whereas before it was merely to purge the vault for server space and slight re-balancing.

So what about time compensation?

Here is a subjective, but fairly accurate generalization: If you added up the total time it takes to make a character level 40 from scratch, you're looking at about 40 hours.
At lower levels you can much further than 1 level/hour, but at higher levels, it can take an hour or more to hit that next experience mark.
This doesn't even include the time to get the best gear and suit your character up to the max.
Destroying that character takes away the player's time, the items they got lucky for, and can't possibly be done without some bitterness. So how to you lessen the aftertaste?

I propose that all players be given one free level 30 character in the new module. A simple compensation for the time that was spent in leveling and farming. They should be given an amount of gold proportional to what a new level 30 standard store-bought item set would require. I had thought that 2 level 30s would be good, but after consideration; I'm not so sure.
As for the details, it would be scripted, and all the particulars are already though-of and will be taken care of - don't worry your pretty little heads about that. It is a good idea to have it scripted so that new players and returning old players will have access to the same starting power no matter what date they join our server - unless you feel it is a good idea to cease it 1 month after the release, or what.

Direct compensation for all the rare drops we have can not be available and stay balanced. It is also simply too difficult to implement due to the amount of players that are currently active or may be returning one day.
Instead, what I think should be done is place a number of Easter eggs throughout the module. Of course, they won't be called "Easter eggs", that is simply a term used to describe an item that carries from one stage of a game to another. They would be hard to find, hard to acquire, and only 2 (or more if you think) could be allowed per person. They would be non-transferable, and only one of each could be owned in the player base. I imagine this would be a contest of sorts, and all the Easter eggs would be named (with their location) once 1 person has found them and reported it to a DM in game or by posting a screenshot in the appropriate contest thread.
When the module finally rolls off the press, the players who found the item would be rewarded with a corresponding item to the new version. None of them would be complete items however. I think they should be pieces of an item that can be gathered (similar to how the mimic pieces work). Therefore, the advantage of having an Easter egg is that the player is just that much closer to having a completed item; and not-necessarily starting out with a premium gear set.

I hope this sets your mind at ease and that you can come up with other interesting ways that would encourage you to submit your account to a wipe and continue playing. If you don't like it, how would you change it? Should there be a wipe at all? Do you just want your inventory rifled through and keep one, more, or all of your characters? Let's talk about it.
WooldorSockbat
Poster

Plays: Not Set

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2008, 19:35 »

First and foremost... Thanks for being part of the solution  Smiley

I agree, I think we should have a server wipe... I originally thought it'd be easier just to purge all items and gold and let everyone retain their toons (or something like that), but that's asking too much of the DM and dev team. As it is, they will have a lot of work to do for this thing to happen, and I know some people have -a lot- of toons.

The idea of compensation in general is a risky business, IMO. First, I think you should either compensate everyone (old and new) or nobody. Anyone new to the server - as you touched upon - will be at a huge disadvantage anyhow, since they have no idea where they're going, what drops where, how to do quests, etc. This could be a good opportunity for the server to acquire new players, since they'll be facing many of the same challenges as everyone else: need more gold, need more xp, need to learn or re-learn the server. I say re-learn, because the server will certainly have a lot of changes after D-Day, which even the vets can't prepare for.

If ultimately it's decided to compensate in some fashion, it'll be tough to agree upon how. I thought the level 30 toon was a cool idea, since it won't immediately imply a kick butt character... you still need to build it, equip it, etc. and you only get 1 shot. The downside to that idea is the vets will be more likely to make a cheap, functional level 30 build, whereas the newer players not knowing what to expect (i.e. never having had a 30+ toon before), are prone to screwing it up. The gap widens.

That's the nature of any compensation, though... the vets are more likely to get an advantage with it than the newer players. Unless someone could suggest a solid way to prevent that, I'm against any compensation. Besides... how many risens do you think there would be if we all got a free lvl 30  Evil

Maybe something along the lines of a community chosen change to the module... free res chains, more scavvy sightings, or a portal directly from PF/xroads to the underdark. Something like that, which everybody could benefit from.
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2008, 19:53 »

Xp bank........    Is it possible to make a xp bank  where we ask a npc to take x experience from a toon and it can be granted to any other toon at a rate of 10-1? this could be a more acuurate representation of fairness after a server wipe in my opinion    those toons with 2 mill xp  would get a  toon 200k xp if they have ben xp banked b4 a server vault wipe.....
Mernok
Tester
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2008, 19:54 »

I guess personally I am still not too crazy about a server wipe, I don't have the time I once did to relevel characters I have already spent time leveling.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2008, 04:22 »

I guess personally I am still not too crazy about a server wipe, I don't have the time I once did to relevel characters I have already spent time leveling.

Time and effort. Why would you want to? You already did.

Have an Evil Day.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2008, 16:56 »

There is another problem that came to me about a server wipe: it would take a lot of time for people to "stabilize" again so they can make toons without worrying about items and such, meaning that pvp could decrease a lot in the first months, which is the main point of the server imo, thus making it a lot less fun and probably reducing the "appetite to log in" of many people, myself included.

Maybe the game/server is too old for that kind of drastic change. Although I must admit that it could renew a lot of things, like class and item changes, maybe it could kill the server for good, which is a shame.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2008, 17:35 »

That would be a shame if the server died.

It would also be a shame if I continued to post messages that don't suggest how I would like to better the situation.
I realize that we are likely facing a wipe because the developing heads seem to gunning for it, so what can I  think of that will make people want to stick around?

I'll have to think on that one and then edit this post later when I've thought of something.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2008, 18:32 by Rade » Logged

Have an Evil Day.
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2008, 18:24 »

Rather than a full on wipe would it be easier to maybe do the following?

Redo every area and item that the dev team deems necessary to change.
Add a script that auto pulls items no longer allowed upon login, with an auto exchange if one is allowed.

Allow every player/account to keep 3 characters regardless of level, the rest get trashed and sent to oblivion.

I think this would be a better option to help with balancing the itemset and not screwing over any of the older players that have put years into playing the mod. Yeah it seems like a ton of work (it is) but I see a ton of time being put into other far less productive things as it is anyways.

For the dms/devs that think exchanging/stripping/deleting toons would be too much, think of it like this. The script would handle the item issues, im sure rade and his newfound all-knowingness of the toolset can make this happen (fully confident in that). If it was decided to do the 2 or 3 character thing then the players would either have to submit a list by a certain date or just get 3 characters left in their vault after an admin deletes the rest.

Or hell, change the areas, and then put in a xp bank so that all of the players can at least bank all of their characters to have something to start over with.
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2008, 18:48 »

Item remover scripts are already in the mod.
What & when the wipe will be,.........no idea.  icon_scratch

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2008, 22:52 »

It's an option. The biggest issue with keeping items is that the ones people will want to keep are the ones being changed, and pretty much everything is being redone as far as I know. It would be easier to liquidate them as GP so that they can buy starting gear or better.

If I were writing this script I would probably just have it check for a variable on a permanent item like the faction seals, and if it read something like "UPDATED_INV" = 0 the appropriate items from their inventory would be liquidated except the faction seal and "UPDATED_INV" set to 1, and then it is not executed anytime they log in after.
The biggest problem is reaching all the players who don't visit the forums, all the players who have gone on hiatus and will return, and all the new players who don't have 3 valuable characters (recall that part of the motivation is to shorten the have/have-not gap for a time).

What would be easier (since we have the max HP script) is just to delete the vault and allow for 3 characters to be level 40 or whatever. Then there's no wasted time making such a script, less scripts being fired mean less lag, less room for error, and the list goes on.
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2008, 23:43 »

if you are going to do a mini wipe, let the people keep their characters. I have spent too much time lvling up my characters and don't feel like spending months to get my characters back beyond those 3.  And I'm certain that a majority of other people don't want to either.  I've spent weeks of my time farming eye boss just for a ring and I know if that gets taken away from me, I will be mad.  It's not just taking charactors and items from people in the game.  It's taking all of the TIME people have put into this game to get what they have today.  I know that if you take all the time I've put into my charactors away, I will not be coming back to this server.

Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2008, 04:45 »

so are we going to have a server wipe? and if so around when? cause if we are then I'm done with this server.

Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2008, 20:01 »

so are we going to have a server wipe? and if so around when? cause if we are then I'm done with this server.
Please explain why. There is going to be a wipe it seems, but no one wants to lose players; so we're trying to find out what would make them stay. Just stating "We can't have one or I'll leave" doesn't give us anything to go on.
If the server wipe had to happen, how would you like it to go down? This is your chance to make it the best for you and hopefully others.

As far as a time line, I can't give you an exact date because things change and we're not a business. I can tell you that it will be about X months from now if indeed it does go down.

I'd like to add that while a wipe is almost inevitable, the "new" module would likely be Beta-ed before we make rash decisions like deleting every character; we want to make this transition as comfortable as possible.

In regards to the Mini Wipe idea: Why do you need to keep 3 of your old characters if their gear was being replaced anyways? Why can't we just grant you 3 level 40 characters (if that's what you want) after deleting everything in the vault? You could remake them exactly like the old ones if you wanted, but due to some of the class/item changes you might want to make new builds that could be better.
My goal with the idea posted at the very top of this post is to put items that players who have the skills and characters and gear can go and get to give themselves an edge. The goal is that players have something to work towards and keep playing while the other version is being made, and then reward them for their efforts.
Replacing old items with new ones and selecting 3 favorite characters isn't feasible because of the unrepresented players (those that can't log in for a month, those that have yet to come, etc) who wouldn't be able to choose.

PS: The topic "A Mini Wipe" has been merged with this one (I found the function to do so, hooray  Roll Eyes).
It is identically related to this topic, and while it may seem like a pain, please remember that I'm going to have to sort through all these posts when the time comes and gather a server-census on what people want - if I have to go through 4 topics on the same thing I'm going to miss ideas and be very confused.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2008, 21:59 by Rade » Logged
Wake of death
admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2008, 21:41 »

Hello,

Just a thought, but now I have heard 2 timelines for this wipe somehwere Hazmatt said it wouldnt be for another atleast and now Raid is stating 2-3 months. I will not be happy wwith loosing all the worthless junk i have collected over the last year and change but if it happens life goes on.

I just want an idea of when like everyone else. There are now 2 estimets and both suck.

Thanks
Wake

Thanks
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2008, 22:01 »

That's because it's indefinite. It might not even happen in the most drastic way, it's still up in the air; that's why I need your help in deciding whether or not it will happen and how, but it will likely coincide with a major module update and that's why it is indefinite (there's a lot of work being done).
Viper4365

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2008, 01:55 »

I hate to say it but the vets need to start over...

My reasoning is this, New players to the server havent had the time to reach your level and ability. Half the new players leave the server after they get killed in more than 5 or so pvp fights. PvP may be a major part of the server, but attacking someone because you can isn't always the way to play. Think of what you would do if you were them. I think given the options, I would just sit around town waiting for others to finish quests and earning me xp rather than running out and getting killed by every person I come across. Of course i'm not like that, but some of you see where im going? It is easier to do nothing, than go out and risk everything against vets who have items you will never have the time or strength to get with them always attacking you.

This is why I propose a FULL server wipe...

Get rid of all the old items, the toons, the money, the xp, all of it. If the vets are truely in this server to have fun rather then to be the best they will find a way to get back to where they were. If not then they shouldn't have started trying to be perfect. I wouldn't even suggest a wipe if it wasn't for those of you (and you know who you are) who are obsessed with being the best and attacking anything that moves. Back in January and Febuary, there were ALWAYS people on who would help others get to the top. Now all I see is dead people and others who are too "busy" to try to help. I am not targeting everyone, there were a few times last month when I got on at 4-7am EST and ran with a mixed party that was just there to have fun no matter who was "supposed to be their enemy". This is how any mod should work, fun before faction IMHO.

As for the current over attacking, if you want to continue singleing out the weak ones then I belive the do not attack bar should be raised to the next level. Think about it, a player who is very easy to you may see you as imp, that hardly seems fair to me. The least you could do in that situation is make your self known to your oponent. They are too weak to win so why do you have to sneak about and attack them from behind like a coward? I am not saying to duel fair every time, but when you can win anyway why not be a little fair? If someone is normal and above, by all means have your way with them, just be nicer to the weaker toons. Think, that person might have a toon of your faction and you might be dead somewhere they can get you. If I were that person, I would leave you to rot if you killed me just because you could.

This is a quote from someone high up on the chain I will not disclose who but...

"dodnt mention wipe to loud....people get upset at that idea....(but i am sure that it will happen at some point )"

That is copy/paste word for word directly from the source. (including the misspelling of "don't"...lol)
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2008, 03:07 »

I don't think saying anything about how its easier to sit at the city and collect quest xp is a good thing. Sounds like the same mentality of the lazy people in this country that would rather sit home and collect welfare rather than work 40 hours per week. Same opportunity for all, how you handle it is what makes things the way they are.

Nobody started as a vet, you fight, you learn, you aquire items, you become. Simple as that.

And what would be the point of a wipe when your main reasoning is that the vets in "power" now are trying to hinder you from getting to that level? Would you not be the same way? Griping about how people use their advantage and then complaining that you can't get the same advantage is contradictory at best.

I admit constant pk'ing is lame. There are more than a few players that build nothing but sorcs/pms and sd's just to roam around and hunt weak players that don't stand a chance, there are others that are "too busy", and some that pick fights and run like pansies. They are lame, but so what, maybe this is the only way they can feel like a winner, grant them some fun in life.

If you haven't noticed there is a whole page full of character builds posted by some of the vets in order for the newer players to make good toons if they don't have the creativity to make their own. Make some of those characters, make the sorc32/pally4/rogue4, its a pvp monster. You can be nearly unbeatable with store bought gear.

But understand this one thing if nothing else. You have the same opportunity as everyone else has had and will have in the near future. Not every vet would leave after a wipe if it happened. So if you can't hack it now its going to be no different when they out build and out farm you then.

Wipe ALL of the items, leave 2-3 characters per account or the equivalent xp (the bank idea). Anything more than that leaves the server in a lesser state than it is currently in.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2008, 04:42 »

I happen to disagree with almost all of what you said. Lets go by parts:

I hate to say it but the vets need to start over...

My reasoning is this, new players to the server havent had the time to reach your level and ability. Half the new players leave the server after they get killed in more than 5 or so pvp fights. PvP may be a major part of the server, but attacking someone because you can isn't always the way to play.

I started playing on this server June of 2007. There are vets thats play here for more than 5 years.

When I started, all I had was my non-magic stuff, a daring sorc for pvp that I asked to be deleted last month, and a paladin. At that time, I remember there was a Mordor aa who shot 5 arrows and casted gs from a scroll. He killed bunches of gonds just by doing that. I died thousands of times to him. Do you think I liked it? No, but I liked the challenge. I wanted to get him, so I started playing more. I learned the ways of server, asked for directions, joined people to level, started farming, pvp'ed a lot of times. No pain, no gain: you won't become better by standing still.

The server has a good pace. Maybe lower leveling could be faster, but the fact that is has 2 parties is an awesome opportunity to help the new people get started (always invite lvl 1s btw) and put them on the right direction.

Think of what you would do if you were them. I think given the options, I would just sit around town waiting for others to finish quests and earning me xp rather than running out and getting killed by every person I come across. Of course i'm not like that, but some of you see where im going? It is easier to do nothing, than go out and risk everything against vets who have items you will never have the time or strength to get with them always attacking you.

Why do the vets got the items they have? Because they worked hard to get 'em. They made chars to lvl 40, they farmed hours to get the items, they teamed up to beat Niko, Balrog, Drow Spider Queen, Baragor, Theoden, Eomer (btw, I agree with KK that uber bosses should never be meant to be soloed by 1 person), and even if you don't like the idea of farming, you can get relatively good items with ease. Hell, almost all of my chars use common items that most of people have, and they are very effective.

And that argument of sitting waiting for xp is, pardon my bluntness, dumb. So you think that by doing nothing you will get stronger and better? Point me out 1 player that succeeded by doing that and I'll sell all my items on party sell chest.

Get rid of all the old items, the toons, the money, the xp, all of it. If the vets are truely in this server to have fun rather then to be the best they will find a way to get back to where they were. If not then they shouldn't have started trying to be perfect. I wouldn't even suggest a wipe if it wasn't for those of you (and you know who you are) who are obsessed with being the best and attacking anything that moves.

You miss the whole point. That is the fuel that keeps people playing, farming, creating builds: the desire to get stronger, the desire to get better on pvp, the desire to accquire good items. And, if you haven't noticed, this is a pvp world. It is a war between Gondor and Mordor. PvP is the core here. If you want to tag me as "I want to be the best", then go ahead, afterall if I were tagged as "I want to be the worst" I wouldn't become any better at it.

Back in January and Febuary, there were ALWAYS people on who would help others get to the top. Now all I see is dead people and others who are too "busy" to try to help. I am not targeting everyone, there were a few times last month when I got on at 4-7am EST and ran with a mixed party that was just there to have fun no matter who was "supposed to be their enemy". This is how any mod should work, fun before faction IMHO.

That is probably the only part I agree with you. This game & server is old, and acting like you were the king of the world, shouting "noob" to anyone that asks for directions, instrucions and that kind of thing will only make people go away from the server and help it die faster than you think. I remember that there was a conversation some time ago that people wouldn't tell how to get to Issendor just so they don't have anymore "competition". Frankly, I never saw it happening whenever I played, but if it did, I would have said to those people : f*** *** (hope some friends here haven't done that hehe).

"dodnt mention wipe to loud....people get upset at that idea....(but i am sure that it will happen at some point )"

Talking about a wipe will always result in heated discussions. If I were the dev team, I would just do what Shin suggested on other topics: if it is really going to happen, give a date asap, so then I will stop losing time to farming and start pvping more. In my current position, I could return to the server since, as I said on the beginning, I don't have big hoards of unique and rare items.

And, as Snake said on another topic about a wipe:
"Yes! Finnaly, please kill my desire to log in!"
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2008, 13:19 »

That's because it's indefinite. It might not even happen in the most drastic way, it's still up in the air; that's why I need your help in deciding whether or not it will happen and how, but it will likely coincide with a major module update and that's why it is indefinite (there's a lot of work being done).

Indefinite?  Not even in the most drastic way?  .....  huh What does that mean?

I thought Turril was quite clear that it is going to happen.   police  The only questions for the devs are what the details of the changes will be and when it happens.    Tongue

I know we can't be promised details and dates, but at least communications coming from the same page would be helpful!    Embarrassed

Edit: <Rade:> Sorry Shins, meant to quote your post; accidentally hit "modify" and temporarily made it my post.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2008, 22:56 by Rade » Logged

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2008, 20:22 »

My big thing is that I spent a lot of TIME on this server.  I have spent lots of time building my characters, leveling them up, lots of Time getting the items and farming the drops.  So if this reste happens, I have just lost all of the time I have put into lvling up my characters and farming.  It's basically as if I just switched servers. I play on GvM because I have built up characters and built up items.  I play because I enjoy what I have and I have already gotten a foothold in this server.  As for being killed in pvp all the time because of items. all my low lvl characters I buy items for.  I don't transfer a single item for low lvles.  I get my gold from people selling stuff in the party sell chest and quests and from my own drops.  And I'm sure that a lot of other people do too.  The only reason you get killed all the time in pvp is either heal kits or they have better builds or higher level.  The exact same thing is going to happen in a new server.  There will be people with amazing builds that will win all the time.  So instead of resetting the server, reset the items, reset the rules, but let the people keep their hard earned characters. (even if they have to keep the characters naked.)

Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2008, 22:58 »

Indefinite?  Not even in the most drastic way?  ..... huh  What does that mean?
Well the most drastic way would mean that everything gets destroyed; you lose your characters, your items, etc. The definition I'm going on for drastic here is: extreme, severe; a violent purgative.

By indefinite, I mean I'm leaving room for any and all possibilities; for example: If the LHC sucks the world into a black hole, then there will be no vault wipe by our hands.

Basically, I can't tell you. (Not out of lack of knowledge, but more for avoiding mass-hysteria)
Sorry for being so cryptic. Now discuss.
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2008, 14:31 »

Well I’m almost glad I stopped by or I would have know nothing about this  Smiley

My 2 bits worth, yes I think there should be a server wipe, no I have no compassion for people who threaten to leave because they have farmed a ton of stuff. As was said previously by of all people pinkpuff “So if you can't hack it now its going to be no different when they out build and out farm you then” the farmers will keep on farming and will build the same old toons to do so or go in a huff never to return.

Personally I have a ton of toons and a fair bit of equipment but I don’t mind going back to an even footing if it helps the dev team to readdress a few issues in game.

Ideas I quite like though are the 3 toons with the xp to lvl to 40 for some people as compensation for either items or length of time on the server, also cash or xp compensation for the same would also ease people’s minds.

Personally I’m happy to rebuild some toons and just get on with it, but then I’m not a moaning whining girl who wants to leave because the server is changing. As for the vets leaving, big deal, a lot of them seem to think the server is run for their own benefit anyway and there arrogance knows no bounds as they go about in their private little cliques (making friends as usual lol). Apart from the few I chat to I wouldn’t really miss them anyway. I would suggest posting something in-game before wiping anything though as quite a few people don’t bother with the forums for one reason or other me included  Grin

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2008, 15:11 »

but then I’m not a moaning whining girl who wants to leave because the server is changing.

Hey, don't let my wife hear you say that.   Shocked  In our house we have a rule.  When we step inside, I'm in charge.   Evil  When we step out, she is.   Embarrassed  And last I checked, it's a bit bigger in the real world than in my englishman's castle....   Embarrassed

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 September 2008, 15:43 »

Grin She not a girl shes a very tolerant lady who i'm sure will beat on you if her toons get wiped..  wink

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2008, 21:07 »

I'm not in favour of a wipe. I dont' see the point:

First and foremost, to clear up all the old characters in order to fully implement all the changes that have occurred to the game itself and the changes to the module.

I'm not sure I understand this part, but I think you mean that changes to say pre-update pallies mean they cannot summon steeds and there could still be level 14 druids with dragonshape out there?

If that is correct, then I don't agree on the reasoning behind this. If someone missed the pally update for summoning horsies, why not relevel the toon? If someone has an illegal druid dragon out there, why should the rest of us suffer for it? Just delete the toon and everything on it when caught? And if that means there will be druid level 14 dragons out there for years to come, then so be it as far as I'm concerned.

After the wipe, the game will probably continue to develop, so there will always be toons out there who might have missed out on some update.

Second, it would guarantee the removal of all Concentrated Evil items, all undroppable items, unsellable items, and start everyone on the same blank slate.

In due time after a wipe, there will be items that will be removed or nerfed and someone might still have the old version of the item. Are we going to wipe again then?
I don't own any CE items and personally, the game is no less fun for me because there maybe some dude out there who owns something bought from a bunch of CE's. Even if he brings it to pvp, I don't care. I have accepted this game is not a fair one: those with more time on their hands have more/better items.

I also like the long history this server has and anjoy that there are ancient things out there that cannot be copied on a gear basis
("Ah, he's just using this-and-this that drops there-are-there like everyone else" vs "Oh my, I have never seen anything quite like that! That players name does not ring any bells to me, I better go ask around with the old vets and find out what that blazing sword is and how I can best devise a defense against it")

Besides, I see people who arrived relatively shortly to the server with more gamingtime on their hands catch up with the item vault I have gathered in my early gaming years. A mate of mine owns very good gear, even though he's a late arrival. Purely on a gear basis, he can give any vet a run for his money

Third, it frees up space on the server and the vault would likely not reach its former size anytime soon due to a smaller player base and mostly the length of time the module has been available.

I've seen other servers that have an auto-wipe system: don't log an account or even a toon for X months and it gets wiped.

I don't have the time to play this game like I used to (work, became a dad, RL) and farming the same mod for the same stuff I had before a wipe would indeed seem like a waste of time, even to a nwn freak like me. It would only be viable if the whole mod would be rebuilt and then I mean *EVERYTHING*. But I would not want that either, cause I feel it's safe to say this is quite nice the way is it and developed over the years

So, I hope that settles things and we can all continue to enjoy the game we have been playing for all those years   Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to: