Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 15:01

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  A Server Wipe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A Server Wipe  (Read 22009 times)
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2008, 23:43 »

I would prefer a sign in Erus that says- turn in these items or have your accounts deleted completely. I have worked too hard to get what I have to have it swept away like this.

I understand the ease of getting rid of unwanted items by doing a vault wipe.

I havent seen many DMs on lately- I volunteer to sneak around in DM mode, view inventories, screen it and send the screen to Turril for complete stompage on the violators. Better yet- send me the vault and I'll play every toon in my computer and let you know what I find. Screen violations and send 'em to the the big boss for a slappin.

Why should all of us suffer for a few people who cant get their heads out of their butts and give up the gear they arent supposed to have? Make a list and post it on the main forums. Anyone with items after that get EVERYTHING deleted. They would deserve it because that's what they are causing to happen to us.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2008, 23:47 by Kermit » Logged

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 October 2008, 07:52 »

22 months later after playing every char to update their inventory Kermit returns to realize we did a server wipe.  Cheesy
klixon
Poster

ooooh... shiney things!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 October 2008, 09:08 »

lol... do you have an estimate of how many character files there are in the vault?

Anything can be interpreted to mean anything.
Especially since it's the same word.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2008, 12:55 »

22 months later after playing every char to update their inventory Kermit returns to realize we did a server wipe.  Cheesy

Haha! That's awesome.

Have an Evil Day.
Snake
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

When there is Light....There is Darkness.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2008, 15:31 »

Its about time this server has had a change... its gone too far down the path of becoming retardedly unbalanced

In my opinion the server has already died. Im hoping that change will make the server more fun for all ..... Of course this whole plan could go bad, But i believe that even if the server dies the comunity will live on...I assume some of you like each other enough to play with each other on some different game?   Cheesy

I dont think the wipe will solve everything.

And like hell do I think the server's problems will just go away without it.

It would be a foolish to say theres nothing wrong with the server as it stands now.

Something needs to be done for sure. Nothing definitely isnt something.

"If god wanted you to live, he wouldn't have created me."
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2008, 16:48 »

He he... You know you wanna see the rise of Motzart Rella or the Return of Immoen Fudrucker. You know you do. Just admit it and you'll be SO much happier.  Evil

Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 October 2008, 19:09 »

Is there a way to check last known log for a toon? If so, you could send a shout: log each and every toon you want to save before [insert_date]. Any toon not logged before this date will be deleted.
I volunteer to help deleting if this cannot be automated.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2008, 19:59 »

My first two toons I played on GvM got to about the mid level 20's before getting wiped. I logged in one day and hadn't played in awhile...and apparently they got deleted from inactivity. I was annoyed at losing progress and gear (notably gifts from older no longer active players) but I didn't really pursue it much because I figured, why would they care about a couple mid-level toons. So I just started over. I got my third toon to level 26 and then one day went to log in and...no server. I found out the server had went down indefinitely...and when it eventually did come back up, it was rolled back to May 1st. My toon was back to level 1.  >_<

To make a long story short, I've had characters, progress and items deleted thrice, and I've rolled up a level 1 and came back every time. There is something fun about GvM to me, regardless of losing my accomplishments, progress and time. I dunno, maybe it's the challenge or something. Maybe I'll finally get a level 40 and then stop playing because I'm bored, lol.

Either way, I am neutral about a wipe...if it happens, it happens. I will most likely roll up a new toon and start my ambitious rise to level 40 -again-.
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2008, 23:36 »

I say let kermit have a dm password and access everyone's toons to play secret policeman you know a cool even headed guy like that wouldn't abuse anything laugh

And forget about the easier auto ways of removing unwanted player powering items.

Bah I MEAN SERIOUSLY drop this idea I dont care if a player or 2 has a insurmountable item advantage over me in pvp on a toon or 2  so they will own me in glad games big deal

as i recall there were no unique item advantages in the lower lvl teirs of the last big competition and every other pvp match I engage in I am either  at a gear disadvantage or advantage rarely on a equal gear footing because gvm dosent use a uniform item crafting system where every one is prety even in gear.

It makes the wipe system pointless imo because we use the very exciting rare random drop system, It just gives the beter equiped players a edge
 so what
   they invested a lot of time and effort in getting that edge let em have it.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 23:40 by Endlessorrow » Logged
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 October 2008, 16:38 »

I say let kermit have a dm password and access everyone's toons to play secret policeman you know a cool even headed guy like that wouldn't abuse anything laugh

What?  Shocked Me? save all those items to a list so I know what Im after for a change? Evil

Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 October 2008, 00:56 »

Alright, well since Rabbac the Post-Necromancer decided to breath new life into a dead topic, I think I'll let you all in on something.

You have no control over the wipe now.

I don't care enough to compile all the ideas presented in this thread, because quite frankly it's the same things over and over and I know what they're about. I've come to an alternative that works for me, and I know will work for all of you because it won't affect you at all.
It never really mattered what you said in this topic, because ultimately Turril has the call over whether to wipe or not - and I don't feel like dissuading him from either course of action because I have a bias that would upset a lot of you (or so it seems, because you 'shout the loudest'). So I stay my hand in this affair, but will keep the topic open.

As some of you may have noted by the loss of your posts; I am still moderator of this section and I will continue to remove posts that contribute nothing to the discussion. "lol"  Tongue
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2008, 15:14 »

Alright, well since Rabbac the Post-Necromancer decided to breath new life into a dead topic, I think I'll let you all in on something.

You have no control over the wipe now.

Did I? Post Necromancer? I like the sound of that  Grin

Wipe them all  Evil
« Last Edit: 15 October 2008, 03:14 by Rade » Logged

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 October 2008, 16:22 »

I can't say i really care either way.

But I will say this. A wipe will mean certain death.

Look at the server population with just talk of a wipe.
Ace-of-Spades
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 October 2008, 17:40 »

It's not necessarily certain death. I admit though, I've ever experienced it on other servers when they start talking about a wipe.
When you bring up the topic, people stop logging in. I don't blame them. Why put time in if you'll lose it in a couple weeks. It's illogical.

In fact it makes me hesistant to log into GvM right now. I think if there IS going to be a wipe it needs to be announced and then done as quickly as possible to avoid losing players between the announcement and the actual wipe.
Sure I'll come back and play after a wipe, but I wont play until there is one if I know it's coming.

Of course I don't even know if there IS going to be a wipe. It's rather a mystery to me right now, given this thread and what the DMs have actually said.  O_o

So the question is...Is there actually going to be a wipe or no?

If yes, I probably wont play until it's been done, and maybe even longer. It depends on when I get back around to it, as I'll probably be putting in some time on other servers, or WoW.

If no, well...I'll just keep playing right now.  Tongue
Rodriquez
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 October 2008, 13:49 »

I've spoken to a number of people on the server who dread a wipe, but won't bother with posting their opinion here as they feel it's no use and there will be a wipe, no matter what they think  Sad
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 October 2008, 15:48 »

Its been said before, but I'll say it again 'cause I agree completely.

If a major change can be brought to the server by wiping it - IE major zones changes and a COMPLETE revamp of the scripts for MAXIMUM effectiveness, then by all means - Wipe the Bastard

If the wipe is just for the sake of a clean slate, then can the idea.

But then again, if it makes the vast majority of you upset and makes for more entertainment in the whining/complaining department, WIPE WIPE WIPE  Evil

Mistress Zevia Shadowlust
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 October 2008, 07:05 »

Insolent Dogs.

I can't say i really care either way.

But I will say this. A wipe will mean certain death.

Look at the server population with just talk of a wipe.

Need there be more said.

And I speak from a perspective that many on here have not had the displeasure of happening before... I have endured having all of my hard work and time and luck being wiped before. 24 characters with countless items of significant value at the time before uberness was all around us. When I returned I got very little back as compensation and all gear was not Godly by any regards. I was given 1 40th level toon and a couple 20th level ones. I made a farmer and started again. Although I was annoyed i still valued the server and it was still very full of life. 

If it were to happen again.... Well I can probably say that it wouldn't be necessary for me to login as there'd be no one to PvP anyway. Maybe a handful of you out there but the numbers have decreased quite a bit in the past year and most of all now. Even if I had more time to play I find it boring to say the least trying to get the PvP scene active again.  If I didn't have some of the older vets to humor me and bring in things to fight against I'd probably not login at all anymore. GvM was designed as a great PvP server with some PvM incorporated for a lot of other fun as well, but its BIG now.... VERY BIG. Its become too difficult to FIND a target unless you sit outside the damn gates and wait for someone to log on and even then theres only a handful remaining anyway. I remember I once brought SEVERAL toons to Pelennor so that I had a toon there for EVERY character level so I wouldn't miss a target just incase.  By now numbers are weak at best and everyone is too busy farming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I am not in favor of a wipe. It would be nice in some ways sure. I think a fair playing ground for all would be excellent, but for how long? "IF" the server survived, how long before more people are considered vets and have gear and NEW players have none, how long before this discussion is all started again?  If your arguement is about this then I say screw it, make store bought only items available and everyone will have the same fairness through out Middle earth. Would make no difference to the Vets tat Play this game as they are the ones that BUILD a toon for specific items, or gear and nothing would change. They would still murder and destroy the likes of the feeble but with store bought gear.
All in all...

I really don't care either way. Ya it would suck to lose it all over again, In all honesty I'd probably just go play an arena server like antiworld or whatever where the items are the same for all cause I lack the time, drive, and desire to start farming again. I hated it the first time.... I hated it the 2nd time... Am I going to do it a 3rd? Not likely. 

Finally everything said is besides the point. the Main point is its a 10 year old game. Perhaps you guys haven't looked on he Shelves but this game is almost FORGOTTEN. People are moving on and playing other things and those few 1000 of us around the globe (start counting the numbers in all the active servers in EVERY area and x5 to consider those not online.) still playing this game are starting to fade with time. Server wipe and you start a countdown in my opinion.

Mistress Zevia Shadowlust

WORMS!   MAGGOTS!   DOGS!   WHELPS!   PIGS!   WEAKLINGS!   FILTH!   GONDORIANS!   
Rabbac
Poster

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 October 2008, 11:11 »

As much as Mistress is a pain at the best of times she does have a point  Grin

I was in favour of a wipe initially just to even out things a bit and possibly fix some of the server issues (and shut up the farmer brigade and watch them cry). But after reading the posts here and speaking to a few old friends in-game i think that Mistress and Rade have a point, the numbers are just about steady and unless we keep who we have then it really might be the end of GvM.

I know a few staff are very much in favour but there isnt going to be much point if the old timers loose all thier stuff and toons and the new recruits suddenly switch on to find thier only lvl 30 toon has been wiped and the equipment it had is gone. If i joined a new server i wouldnt exactly be inclined to play there no matter what the reason for the wipe. Surely the game can be modified/upgraded without the need.

P.S. Are we putting this to a vote?

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Snake
Poster

When there is Light....There is Darkness.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2008, 11:28 »

Hey..if its going to end....might as well end with a bang instead of ending slowly over time eh?  Tongue

"If god wanted you to live, he wouldn't have created me."
inocentsub

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 October 2008, 14:50 »

Alright, so this whole thread is a little depressing.
No-one wants to see the server fail as some people are suggesting.

Is there any chance that ppl who don't want a complete wipe could assist by perhaps deleting a percentage (25%? 50%) of their toons (using the handy dandy toon deleter I read was soon to appear), AND by donating a small sum to assist in the work that must be done by DM's to clean old unused accounts from the vault?

Is there anything we could try to do (on a user lvl) to prevent a complete wipe? There are many neat servers out there which sit empty day after day. I don't want this to become one of them.
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 17 October 2008, 16:39 »

It's not the number of toons that is the issue. It's the items and NPCs that all need a redo.  huh

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Whisper
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 October 2008, 02:59 »

^

I would 100% support a wipe if every single DM-DEV-Deputy signs a statement that they will not "EVER" Comp a single favored player items or do "Favor quests" To grant favored players all the uber gear fast.

I can guarantee that within a month if everything is as it has been within the last 2 years in that regard there will be a small contingency of players that are favored by someone that can pull strings, and that those players will have about 2-5x more and better gear than the rest of us.

Without said statement I would have zero desire to play here again.

In contrast if you were to wipe, and get rid of the few corrupt bad apples that are rubbish DM's, I would come back and dedicate myself pretty hardcore, and I am sure that dozens of gone people would also do the same.

But I know there is a social standard, and god forbid we get rid of "One of our own" even when we know they are doing wrong.

My suggestion is after the wipe add a script to track all of the DM gifts, I can promise you that the items that are being created by a small # of people here and handed out would blow peoples minds.

The corruption is deep and it would really amaze me if a wipe did nothing but deepen the favoritism, since the non-favored majority that earned their stuff would be left with nothing while the small numbered of favored people would be getting insane numbers of comps for the first few weeks.

P.S. Are we putting this to a vote?

Is anything like this ever put to a vote?   
« Last Edit: 20 October 2008, 03:02 by Whisper » Logged

I like to sing songs that are sad or angry, this gives me attention and helps me to perpetuate my crappy feelings.

Boo Hoo, look at me, Emo frog.

P.S. please pay attention to me
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2008, 04:36 »

Dude that was a powerful indictment and post....  I would love to know some specifics  if you have them on these mind blowing giveaways.........   You must know some just to post that like that, makes me fell ignorant, and suspicious of my fellow gvmers Cry
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20 October 2008, 06:50 »

It really is a shame that Grooth's comment will unfortunately never bring anything to fruition...I'd love to see the results of such a potential investigation, even if it would probably bring to the forefront some shocking details.   Evil

On a separate note, I'm going to have to be the word police. police

Indictment doesn't work in this instance, Endless.  The key reason for this stems from the fact an indictment is issued by a grand jury.  It is a formal charging based on evidence presented to the grand jury by the prosecutor - essentially determining whether or not the case will go forward to a court of law.

Grooth's comments were really more of an accusation...
« Last Edit: 20 October 2008, 06:54 by KrazyKuban » Logged

Whisper
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 October 2008, 07:09 »

My accusation is not so important, I used to be a DM here, I can validate dozens of items that were given away, most of which were in the upper tier of power, and astonishingly some further not even in the mod.

This does not necessarily mean I am saying any current DM is doing this, and I am not saying they aren't, what I am saying is that this behavior is a large part of why modules become imbalanced and item heavy.

I am simply asking for a 100% commitment from the current DM team not to imbalance the module after a wipe, because frankly if I get all of my toons and hard work taken away from me and 2 or so weeks later see someone that I have a good relationship with having a ton of gear that they would not have the ability to get in that period, then I will quit for good.

I can guarantee you all that there are many little birds that fly around whispering all of the doings of the module to us old timers, and with a little prying you can generally get people who are comped gear to admit it, most will tell you right away, probably based off the fact most players here are honorable and get guilty feelings knowing that they are treated differently than the norm, be that favored or shunned treatment, most people don't want either.

Now for examples I could detail the dozens of items that I and all of my closest friends at GVM have been gifted if anyone wants to actually know the basis of my statements, or I could divulge the situations I saw as DM that former DMs had done that led me to my beliefs.

Once again though, I am not necessarily saying anyone here is doing it, I would just like a public statement that this behavior is now banished, and that all gifts from DMs would be from events, and approved by the whole DM team prior to the gifting.

It really is a shame that Grooth's comment will unfortunately never bring anything to fruition...I'd love to see the results of such a potential investigation, even if it would probably bring to the forefront some shocking details.   Evil

Ohh, you know it might, I dare Turrilllllll    to sneak in a spy script, it would be fun to see if we would get any "Secret alterations" to the admin team.

Heck, it would be neat if there were a Dm initiative wand that would make a server shout whenever anyone "Including DMs" gave away an item, shouting out the Dm name and recipients name, maybe having  sub menu where the DM can choose why, and making it to where DMs can only give items, not drop them to avoid the script.

Maybe something like this.

Why oh why grand Dm doesth thou give away yet another engame boss item?

1. Contest prize.
2. Quest prize.
3. Event item.
4. Said player is cool.
5. Said player is a hot chick I want to date.
6. Said player is part of my social circle.
7. Said player defend me for doing this stuff.
8. Said player is lame and needs help.
9. Said player boosts my ego.
10. Said player is my wifes alt account.

« Last Edit: 20 October 2008, 07:23 by Whisper » Logged

I like to sing songs that are sad or angry, this gives me attention and helps me to perpetuate my crappy feelings.

Boo Hoo, look at me, Emo frog.

P.S. please pay attention to me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to: