Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 12:36

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Fix to the banking idea.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fix to the banking idea.  (Read 2705 times)
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« on: 02 September 2008, 22:28 »

I thought that you could make a room, directly outside pocket. It could have 28 chests in it. When you log in, you would get a key, and then use that chest. It strips you of that key when you log out, and then it remembers your CD key for an hour. It gives that key to your CD key when you log in for that hour...

Or make an NPC that remebers CD keys and gives out the right keys... Either way.

Please, rip the idea apart  Evil

Have an Evil Day.
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2008, 23:49 »

Well, you can't destroy a key when someone logs out because a log out is immediate, once the character is gone you'd have to guarantee about 2 minutes for a 3rd-party program to filter through the character list and find that character, then find the item in their inventory, then delete it. Not even sure that's possible, but if it was, that'd be the way to do it.
Instead, delete the keys when a character logs in, and then they have to talk to your NPC to get a key that matches your CD key and a chest.

As far as remembering your CD key "for an hour" I'm not so sure that's a good idea. What should be done is that the CD key is stored on the chest you're using, and the NPC simply checks your CD key and gives you the key to the chest that has your CD key stored.
You could then tell the NPC "I don't want to use my chest anymore." He'll destroy your key; then find the chest with your CD key on it, and store the new CD key as blank until someone else uses it.

That's actually not a bad idea, it won't withstand crashes or resets like our current system unless you scripted it otherwise. I don't know how our server currently stores it over resets, there are several ways to do this - some work better than others - the current method works very accurately with stack sizes and preventing item duplications.
You'd either have to lock the chests every X seconds, or make a little condition for the players: "Remember to re-lock your chests!"

I think the biggest problem with the current method is that it has several tools to punish players by deleting their chest inventories and sometimes (especially during lag) those are accidentally activated. Perhaps if there was a solid method like your key idea, then we wouldn't need such scripts and really enforce the "Use at your own risk!" message since others could say... sneak up to you in GS or stealth and click on the chest you're using.
*shrug* It's all very confusing.
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2008, 01:08 »

Makes sence. Well, I understand about the whole log-out thing. Okay... So you kinda like my idea?

Evil

Have an Evil Day.
WooldorSockbat
Poster

Plays: Not Set

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2008, 02:21 »

I think the biggest problem with the current method is that it has several tools to punish players by deleting their chest inventories and sometimes (especially during lag) those are accidentally activated.

That's rather absurd to hear... I thought it was just a randomly occurring thing. Since everyone basically accepts that their inventory could be lost because of said function, how is that even a punishment anymore? It's really no worse than bad luck. Perhaps it'd be easier to take that functionality out to have a solid banking system, and punish offenders in some other way?
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2008, 06:25 »

One might think it's a punishment but what really happens, especially when you try to open the chest too soon is, you didn't give it enough time to save everything.

Once the chest closes it takes awhile to write everything to the database. We tell you to wait at least 1 minute. If you open too soon, it reads what you have in the database which is nothing since it was all in the chest, then erases what ever was in the chest to add your nothing into the chest. Then you scream and blame the bank system.

Losses from crashes while using the bank is the only think that can't be prevented. Everything else is Elf, Dwarf, Half-Orc, Gnome, Halfing, and Human error.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2008, 10:19 »

As far as remembering your CD key "for an hour" I'm not so sure that's a good idea. What should be done is that the CD key is stored on the chest you're using, and the NPC simply checks your CD key and gives you the key to the chest that has your CD key stored.
You could then tell the NPC "I don't want to use my chest anymore." He'll destroy your key; then find the chest with your CD key on it, and store the new CD key as blank until someone else uses it.

A system of this kind already exists see the other topic for the links I posted to it. But instead of keys, it destroys the chest after a certain amount of time and spawns a new one. Also you don't need a key you can just check for CD-key onUse of a chest and then decide to open it or not.

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: