Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23 April 2024, 21:01

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Class: Arcane Archers, Ranged Weapons and Ammunition
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Class: Arcane Archers, Ranged Weapons and Ammunition  (Read 3391 times)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« on: 06 September 2008, 23:33 »

Okay so here's the deal: I don't see archers beyond PvP.
There are some obvious reasons for that: low defenses, we are generally a soloist server, sacrificing a shield slot leaves them prone to IGMs, ammunition is a b***h to micro-manage, and the Arcane Archer class pretty much make bows the only viable ranged weapon at level 40.

Now, I don't mind seeing archers as the best ranged characters; and I like Arcane Archers as they are, I really wouldn't change a thing about them (but if you have some brilliant idea on how to improve them, by all means, discuss it here). It would be nice to provide alternatives however, say throwing axes or darts as a secondary weapon to a sword & shield fighter.

So here's what I propose...
1) Droppable/Purchasable ammunition generators in addition to dropping stacks of ammunition. Stacks of ammunition have their place; example: Ancient Arrows; you don't want people running around with a billion shots of uber-destruction, but 1-10 shots is okay if they work for it. I think that things could be greatly improved if we had ammunition generators however. Here's how I'd make them work:
1 use/day the generator runs a script that checks itself for 3 variables, 1 is the arrow type (which arrows it will generate, default being blank arrows so you can tell something is wrong if the arrows are just arrows), 2 is the amount of stacks carried, 3 is the size of each stack.
So for this system, really good arrows could be generated in a stack of 1-2 arrows once/day; if someone wanted 99 of these that would be a lot of resting. Mid-level handaxes could be generated in 1 full stack of 50, etc.

2) A purchasable (100 GP or something cheap) ammunition remover. Unlimited Uses/day, this remover would scan through the user's inventory and get each type of ammunition they are carrying - scan it to get the appropriate generator and begin setting variables and removing the ammunition. It would store 1 additional variable on the aforementioned generator which is how many arrows of that type the user had in their inventory. When the generator is fired later, it would generate the size/stacks appropriate as normal, but it will also add the bonus arrows that were stored by the ammunition remover (and then set that bonus variable to 0!) and generate enough stacks to evenly divide the total number of arrows across (without exceeding 99).
Non-generator ammunition it would just leave alone.

If you just read that and didn't understand what I mean; here's what happens in short.
You have ammunition generators (1use/day or more), and a single ammunition remover (unlimited uses/day). Ammunition generators create a certain amount of ammunition appropriate to the individual generator. An ammunition remover gathers all the ammunition in your inventory, next time you generate arrows of that type you will get additional arrows and all the arrows you had before.

So what it all means is that we have a relatively low-lag method of managing inventory space and ammunition; you won't find yourself picking and choosing over which arrows you want to use as much because you can get a certain amount/day and not have to worry about farming an area forever and a day just to get the best arrows; you don't have to worry about switching to the wrong ammunition type during combat if only 1 or 2 types of ammunition is available for use in your inventory.

Opinions? I don't see this getting too out of hand, and it could have maximums and defaults to avoid abuse/exploitation if it's possible.  Smiley
Nobutadas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2008, 23:39 »

I like it. also, I would love to see a way to mark an arrow for not automatic use. I will hold petrification arrows for pvp, but the second that I use up a stack, those are then being fired.  I would also love to see a use for crossbows and possibly slings.  Make spell specific bolts or spell bullets that can only be used by certain classes.

Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2008, 21:57 »

The problem of automatic use could be solved by using boxes. I'm not sure about the arrow generator, specially if the boxes were to be adopted - one could generate the arrows, put in there, train/farm/whatever, rest, make 1-2 more, then start again. Personally, I wouldn't go for ammo generators, maybe only for common ones like doing 1 type of elemental damage or adding some effects.
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2008, 18:50 »

Call the ammo generators something cool and thematic..... Like "Ulog Burn Fists axe Bag"  use 1per day create 5o throwing axes plus 5 enchant d12 fire damage   Great idea rade your talent and scripting ability continue to impress.........
   player created content is what makes nwn special   and keeps it fresh for me.... Thanks for all you are contributing.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2008, 06:48 »

The idea of a generator would be very nice in that you would not hvae to return to buy more all the time.  50axes weighs a lot and disappear very fast.  The other part is that the whole problem of cost is really eliminated.  We still have what I consider to be worthless xbow bolts for sale in the epic armories that are prohibitively expensive. 

Mernok
Tester
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2008, 09:30 »

I personally love the idea here.. good arrows are such a pain in the rear to get.. farm all day and you Might get 1-2 stacks in a whole day of the good ones.
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2008, 16:45 »

I did create a Summoning Bow that creates special arrows for the AA. I'll be testing it once Turril finally updates.  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Mernok
Tester
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2008, 17:17 »

Ooh sounds fun Olle
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: