Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 16:52

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Items: Gear Sets
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Items: Gear Sets  (Read 5936 times)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« on: 05 November 2008, 01:28 »

Kermit's 'Twin items...' thread got me thinking about something I thought was the original intention of the post, and have been kicking around for a bit.

The idea is of a 'gear set', which was introduced to me by 2 thinks - Ollebroc's mentioning of monk items needing to be worn together; and experience playing WoW.
Basically, these are items that may be good on their own, but collect several of them or put them in conjunction with other items and special bonuses appear.

Example:
Rogue's Nimble-finger Gloves: +10 open lock, +10 disable traps, +4 Dexterity
Rogue's Soft-treader Slippers: +10 hide, +10 move silently, +4 Dodge AC
If worn together, and additional +10 to parry due to improved footing and sword handling.

The combination doesn't necessarily have to make sense, or be limited to 2 items; it could be an entire set of 5 'Troll' items and only when combined does the wearer gain the benefit of regeneration +4.

Questions? Thoughts? Opinions?
Whisper
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2008, 02:57 »

This should happen, like final fantasy and stuff.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2008, 03:27 by Rade » Logged

I like to sing songs that are sad or angry, this gives me attention and helps me to perpetuate my crappy feelings.

Boo Hoo, look at me, Emo frog.

P.S. please pay attention to me
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2008, 03:31 »

Forgot to mention: The drawback with the nwn system (both 1 & 2 I believe) is that for these bonuses to take effect you would need to re-equip the item every time you log in, possibly even if you die.

There could also be other things that wouldn't require re-equippage.
For example:
Left blade of speed: I dunno, some shortsword
Right blade of speed: Yeah, another shortsword

When equipped for the first time together (a script checks) each blade gets haste (10) 1use/day applied to it permanently and then never runs again.
Mistress Zevia Shadowlust
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2008, 03:34 »

If this is something you Like Then if your looking for different ideas for design or how it can be implemented, I used to play on a server DemonRealms and they had MANY sets item there. It was a lot of fun since it was rare to get the drop on an item and to collect a whole set was a lot of fun. When you put every item on, which was usually 3 to 5 items, some visual special effect was applied like the Power word kill thing, and extra temporary stats would be applied. Be careful though as I know of ways to equip the items, get the property bonuses, and swap items out in a certain fashion that i will not mention here, and keep the bonuses. Just a heads up to do a lot of research before adding anything or soon there will be anew imbalance issue.

There never anyone on there so if you go in to check it I'm sure you could speak to anyone there and they'd be happy to show you a set of their's. No shout option there though so keep that in mind.

*edit* fixed a spelling mistake.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2008, 04:56 by Mistress Zevia Shadowlust » Logged
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2008, 04:02 »

Rade, Antiworld has an item that automatically re-equips items for when a shifted toon dies. It is something that can be worked around.
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2008, 09:27 »

Yes Zev, there is a possibility for exploitation, which is why these things would have to be carefully scripted.
The good news is that nwn2 has a specific case for dealing with this, where effects can be applied only while an item is equipped - not so much for nwn1, which is why I'm more a fan of permanently applying additional things to one of the items in the set (which raises the need for making items "cursed" a.k.a non-transferable; which raises the need for a method to dispose of them, which brings an NPC that checks through your inventory, identifies non-transferable items with a specific variable that differentiates them from other items like your faction seal, provides a list so you can select which item set you want to sell off, and proceeds to filter through your inventory deleting all items of that set)

damnit Zev, why can't you just play fair for once?  Grin
Rabbac
Poster

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2008, 10:01 »

I thought we were trying to move away from the eternal persuit of items and more to pvp? Surely this is just more stuff for the farmers to farm.

If these objects are introduced it is best on a random drop basis e.g. a troll or goblin is just a likely to drop one on them as a high lvl boss type.

That way they can be obtained by luck rather than the usual boss drops which not everyone has the toons/equipment or time to collect it at least that way everyone can enjoy the benefits rather than as is the case the select few.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Whisper
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2008, 03:05 »

Even if it perpetuates the farming idea, I still like the idea.

I like to sing songs that are sad or angry, this gives me attention and helps me to perpetuate my crappy feelings.

Boo Hoo, look at me, Emo frog.

P.S. please pay attention to me
MissionFailed
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2008, 08:06 »

If these objects are introduced it is best on a random drop basis e.g. a troll or goblin is just a likely to drop one on them as a high lvl boss type.

i like this idea,. it would give a reason to actually check the goblin drops and see more tha a non-magical morning star in there.

MF = Mission Failed. Anything else is wrong.
Rabbac
Poster

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2008, 13:06 »

MF..  Grin Great to see you if not in game anymore  Embarrassed

It would also give the poor old newbies and lesser gifted of us to be able to swap the items with the farm farm must have everything (because i have forever to play) brigade.  Cheesy

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2008, 23:10 »

Sounds like the WoW gear sets.

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
Rade
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2008, 02:04 »

Sounds like the WoW gear sets.
The idea is of a 'gear set', which was introduced to me by 2 thinks - Ollebroc's mentioning of monk items needing to be worn together; and experience playing WoW.
Basically, these are items that may be good on their own, but collect several of them or put them in conjunction with other items and special bonuses appear.
Yeah... yeah I think it would.  Tongue

And it makes sense too in my opinion. Elven chain mail likely fits rather nicely with elven leggings, and the whole thing is likely designed to work well with a bow and then for switching to a scimitar/longsword/what-have-you for close combat; as opposed to a heavy dwarven chain shirt and orcish heavy leather pants or somesuch.

But now what about the placement of such items? Should one just be able to farm the piss out of say, Edoras, and walk away with a perfect set of Edoras gear that fits together? Or should they have to combine a helmet from the vigilant defenders of Pelargir, with a blade from ancient Númenor, with the mail of the White City guard?
Kermit
Poster

aka - screeminsheets

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2008, 12:39 »

Ok- so GvM is goind to be an item server then? or a NwN version of WoW?

And you just thought I was a (insert your own)
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2008, 22:14 »

I don't see why not.  The NWN world is running out of viable build ideas.  Everything someone can think of has probably been done in some fashion before.  If you start spicing things up with BALANCED(emphasis on BALANCED) gear sets that perhaps amplify a lesser used ability, it could make for more interesting gameplay, and open up the doors for some other build ideas.

Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2008, 00:08 »

You can't say GvM is going to be an item server like WoW in this thread or forum section! This is an idea discussion section.  The kind of section where you can throw stuff around without worrying about whether GvM is going to become an item game like WoW or not.

Didn't item sets get their main stream exposure in Diablo while Warcraft was still a real time strategy?  (I don't know, haven't played many games outside of CS and this)  Stealing good ideas isn't wrong  Evil (unless it's legally protected to prevent that)

I think searching for all the parts is quite interesting (at least until they're found out and someone blabs their locations to everyone - then it just becomes standard farming)

From KK's comment, I feel the same way.  Stuff has basically been done.  BGs have some new possibilities now.  Shifters, well they have some different options now too.  A few of which are being done.  I was hoping to make DD's defensive stance more interesting but it appears to be hard coded now.  I'm not sure what to say about barbs, we had it, then we didn't.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: