Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 03:53

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Misc  |  Off-topic  |  Christmas Message
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Christmas Message  (Read 3355 times)
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« on: 21 December 2008, 17:45 »

This  is what Christmas is all  about...

Better  bundle up - the goose bumps will freeze you!!  I think I  need to read this every year at  Christmas.

Pa  never had much compassion for the lazy or those who squandered  their means and then never had enough for the  necessities.  But for those who were genuinely in need,  his heart was as big as all outdoors.   It was from  him that I learned the greatest joy in life comes from giving,  not from  receiving.                                           

It  was Christmas Eve  1881.  I was fifteen years old and feeling like the world  had caved in on me because there just hadn't been enough money  to buy me the rifle that I'd wanted for Christmas.  We  did the  chores early that night for some reason.  I  just figured Pa wanted a little extra time so we could read in  the  Bible.                                         

After  supper was over I took my boots off and stretched out in front  of the fireplace and waited for Pa to get down the old  Bible.  I was still feeling sorry for myself and, to be  honest, I wasn't in much  of a mood to read Scriptures.  But Pa didn't get the Bible, instead he bundled up again and  went outside. I couldn't figure it out because we had already  done all the chores. I didn't worry about it long though, I  was too busy wallowing in self-pity.  Soon  Pa came  back in.  It was a cold clear night out and there was ice  in his beard. "Come on, Matt," he said. "Bundle up good, it's  cold out tonight." I was really upset then. Not only wasn't I  getting the rifle for Christmas, now Pa was dragging me out in  the  cold, and for no earthly reason that I could  see.  We'd already done all the chores, and I couldn't  think of anything else that needed doing, especially not on a  night like this.  But I knew Pa was not very patient at  one dragging one's feet when he'd told  them to do  something, so I got up and put my boots  back on and got  my cap, coat, and mittens.  Ma gave me a mysterious smile  as I opened the door to leave the house.  Something was  up, but I didn't know  what..                                                           

Outside,  I became even more dismayed. There in front of the house was  the work team, already hitched to the big sled.  Whatever  it was we were going to do wasn't going to be a short, quick,  little job.   I could tell. We never hitched up this  sled unless we were going to haul a big load.  Pa was  already up on the seat, reins in hand.  I reluctantly  climbed up beside him.  The cold was already biting at  me.  I wasn't happy.  When I was on, Pa pulled the  sled  around the house and stopped in front of the  woodshed.  He got off and I followed. "I think we'll put  on the high sideboards," he said.  "Here, help me."   The high sideboards!  It had been a bigger job than I  wanted to do with just the low sideboards on, but  whatever  it was we were going to do would be a lot  bigger with the high side boards  on.                                                         

After  we had exchanged the sideboards, Pa went into the woodshed and  came out with an armload of wood - the wood I'd spent all  summer hauling down from the mountain, and then all Fall  sawing into blocks  and splitting. What was he  doing?  Finally I said something.  "Pa," I asked,  "what are you doing?"  You been by the Widow Jensen's  lately?" he asked. The Widow Jensen lived about two miles down  the road.  Her husband had died a year or so before and  left her with three children, the oldest being eight.   Sure, I'd been by, but so  what?                                                     

Yeah,"  I said,  "Why?"                                                 

"I  rode by just today," Pa said. "Little Jakey was out digging  around in the woodpile trying to find a few chips. They're out  of wood, Matt."  That was all he said and then he turned  and went back into  the woodshed for another armload of  wood. I followed him.  We loaded the sled so high that I  began to wonder if the horses would be able to pull it.   Finally, Pa called a halt to our loading, then we went to the  smoke house and Pa took down a big ham and a  side of  bacon. He handed them to me and told me to put them in the  sled and wait.  When he returned he was carrying a sack  of flour over his r ight shoulder and a smaller sack of  something in his left hand. "What's in the little sack?" I  asked.  Shoes, they're  out of shoes.  Little  Jakey just had gunny sacks wrapped around his feet when he was  out in the woodpile this morning.  I got the children a  little candy too.  It just wouldn't be Christmas without  a  little  candy."

We  rode the two miles to Widow Jensen's pretty much in  silence.  I tried to think through what Pa was  doing.  We didn't have much by worldly standards.   Of course, we did have a big woodpile, though most  of  what was left now was still in the form of logs that I would  have to saw into blocks and split before we could use  it.  We also had meat and flour, so we could spare that,  but I knew we didn't have any money, so why was Pa buying them  shoes and candy?  Really,  why was he doing any of  this?  Widow Jensen had closer neighbors than us; it  shouldn't have been our  concern.

We  came in from the blind side of the Jensen house and unloaded  the wood as quietly as possible, then we took the meat and  flour and shoes to the door.  We knocked.  The door  opened a crack and a timid  voice said,  "Who is  it?"  "Lucas Miles, Ma'am, and my son, Matt, could we  come in for a  bit?"   

Widow  Jensen opened the door and let us in.  She had a blanket  wrapped around her shoulders.  The children were wrapped  in another and were sitting in front of the fireplace by a  very small fire that hardly  gave off any heat at  all.  Widow Jensen fumbled with a match and finally lit  the  lamp.                                                             

"We  brought you a few things, Ma'am," Pa said and set down the  sack of flour.  I put the meat on the table.  Then  Pa handed her the sack that had the shoes in it.  She  opened it hesitantly and took the  shoes out one pair at  a time.  There was a pair for her and one for each of the  children - sturdy shoes, the best, shoes that would  last.  I watched her carefully.  She bit her lower  lip to keep it from trembling and then tears filled her eyes  and started  running down her cheeks.  She looked up  at Pa like she wanted to  say   

something,  but it wouldn't come  out.                                   

"We  brought a load of wood too, Ma'am," Pa said.  He turned  to me and said, "Matt, go bring in enough to last  awhile.  Let's get that fire up to size and heat this  place up."  I wasn't the same person when  I went  back out to bring in the wood.  I had a big lump in my  throat and as mu ch as I hate to admit it, there were tears in  my eyes too.  In my mind I kept seeing those three kids  huddled around the fireplace and their mother standing there  with tears running  down her cheeks with so much  gratitude in her heart that she couldn't  speak.

My  heart swelled within me and a joy that I'd never known before,  filled my soul.  I had given at Christmas many times  before, but never when it had made so much difference.  I  could see we were literally  saving the lives of these  people.                                                               

I  soon had the fire blazing and everyone's spirits soared.   The kids started giggling when Pa handed them each a piece of  candy and Widow Jensen looked on with a smile that probably  hadn't crossed her face  for a long time.  She  finally turned to us. "God bless you," she said. "I know the  Lord has sent you.  The children and I have been praying  that he would send one of his angels to spare  us."                                   

In  spite of myself, the lump returned to my throat and the tears  welled up in my eyes again.  I'd never thought of Pa in  those exact terms before, but after Widow Jensen mentioned it  I could see that it  was probably true.  I was sure  that a better man than Pa had never walked the earth.  I  started remembering all the times he had gone out of his way  for Ma and me, and many others.  The list seemed endless  as I thought on  it.     

Pa  insisted that everyone try on the shoes before we left.   I was amazed when they all fit and I wondered how he had known  what sizes to get.  Then I guessed that if he was on an  errand for the Lord that  the Lord would make sure he got  the right sizes. 

Tears  were running down Widow Jensen's face again when we stood up  to leave.  Pa took each of the kids in his big arms and  gave them a hug.  They clung to him and didn't want us to  go.  I could see that  they missed their Pa, and  I  was glad that I still had  mine.                       

At  the door Pa turned to Widow Jensen and said, "The Mrs. wanted  me to invite you and the children over for Christmas dinner  tomorrow.  The turkey will be more than the three of us  can eat, and a man can  get cantankerous if he has to eat  turkey for too many meals.  We'll be by to get you about  eleven.  It'll be nice to have some little ones around  again.  Matt, here, hasn't been little for quite a  spell."  I was the youngest.  My two brothers and  two sisters  had all married and had moved  away.                                                                 

Widow  Jensen nodded and said, "Thank you, Brother Miles.  I  don't have to say, May the Lord bless you, I know for certain  that He  will."         

Out  on the sled I felt a warmth that came from deep within and I  didn't even notice the cold.  When we had gone a ways, Pa  turned to me and said, "Matt, I want you to know  something.  Your ma and me have  been tucking a  little money away here and there all year so we could buy that  rifle for you, but we didn't have quite enough. Then yesterday  a man who owed me a little money from years back came by to  make things square.  Your ma and me were real  excited,  thinking that now we could get you that rifle,  and I started into town this morning to do just that,but on  the way I saw little Jakey out scratching in the woodpile with  his feet wrapped in those gunny sacks and I knew what I had to  do.  Son, I spent the money  for shoes and a little  candy for those children. I hope you  understand."                                                     

I  understood, and my eyes became wet with tears again.  I  understood very well, and I was so glad Pa had done it.   Now the rifle seemed very low on my list of priorities.   Pa had given me a lot more.  He  had given me the  look on Widow Jensen's face and the radiant smiles of her  three children.

For  the rest of my life, whenever I saw any of the Jensens, or  split a block of wood, I remembered, and remembering brought  back that same joy I felt riding home beside Pa that night. Pa  had given me much  more than a rifle that night, he had  given me the best Christmas of my  life.       

Don't  be too busy today.  Share this inspiring message.   God bless you!

ManiacK
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2008, 09:31 »

icon_thumright

<1> please tell me if there's any way to check if a table exist in mysql database
<2> if (mysql_query('DROP TABLE table_name')) echo "table existed";
{AR}Skeevie
Off-topic moderator
Poster

Evil's True Face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2008, 15:47 »

I just like the shiny red sticky button  Evil

glasses9

Have an Evil Day.
Snake
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

When there is Light....There is Darkness.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2008, 02:07 »

great story man

"If god wanted you to live, he wouldn't have created me."
Rabbac
Poster

Plays: Mordor

Och aye, bonnie Scotland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2008, 10:16 »

Bah Humbug  Grin

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.