Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24 April 2024, 11:09

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Players Forum  |  "Why do YOU play?" - The Nep Report
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: "Why do YOU play?" - The Nep Report  (Read 49761 times)
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 07 March 2009, 15:45 »

Pointless to take a poll on the forums since the majority of players don't bother to visit. I can tell ya that you few here that are complaining have been outvoted bout 99-1 ratio by the quiet majority on the server.

They luv the way the server is.  love3

The server is in a constant state of change and adjustments. It's not like an on-off switch, it takes time.

Some of you have stated some nice ideas, but when ya mingle it with some bashin, I just forget what ya said.

I was gonna open up Rivedell this weekend...........guess this delete button will enjoy it more.  crybaby2

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Zoltar_
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 March 2009, 17:24 »

Im playing  here for many years now, reading the post t I thought at first that I play here to get the best 40 lvl char and to get ubber items,  well thats is true in some way, but the fact is that in many years I only got 5 lvl 40 toon, and no one with really ubber items. The first ones was deleted cause I had to stop playing for a year or more. The other ones reach lvl 40 2 months before the whipe, same time I get my  starblade.
 So I think that I play here for other reasons, I like the comunity itself, the people, the staff the DMs. I play here cause Is nice to team up in a rescue party, breaking pelargir or Issengard gates to rez someone or hear the battle music when you are dead and some is getting you.
I knew this server by RidersOfThely, we use to play AD&D pnp and he told me to buy Nwn cause he found a really good server, and our definition of really good server is a "Challenging server" and thats is what the server still is. That is why I play too.  Im excited with Rivendell and the other new areas will be a challenge too. I just realize aafter many years that harnen Tomb and fangorn forest exist, an I died in a sec there, lol so new challenges.  I like to make a toon for kill a boos and get a droop that help another toon to kill another boos and of course to kill Marcus.....
yes, pvp is another challenge, trying to kill toons like Zapp or Lady Fell is realy fun.

In other words, this is a great server with a great team and players. 
I have only one suggestion, I agree with the xp boost after lvl 30, I think ill made more pvp toons (lvl 20 -29) if I can have more 40 lvl toons  to farm items for them.  Or to party for invade Gondor city. But it takes too long after lvl 33, My lvl 34 is lvling at stingers  lol  and need to get 36..........

If things are easy after lvl 30, maybe we can see  a Osgiliath Battle with  35-40 toons, awesome! and more high lvl  pvp hunting.....

I hope I made my self clear because Im not  a very good English writer...
cya
Artuha

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 March 2009, 17:57 »

very nice effort guys.... now you've got no mod to play but that's not a problem, right? problem is that many players who wasn't even aware of all that fuss have no server to play either.
Akuma-Demon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07 March 2009, 18:03 »

Servers not down Turril took it off line and indicated that the answer is in this thread... which reading indicates that our glorious leader has had enougn  Angry (im sorry i joined in now  Lips Sealed)

Carnage is right, it was happier days when we didnt have a forum people were to busy playing to bitch about everything.. Acid rainhosting forums were the worst with people falling out with each other left right and centre. I started playing in the pixie/chronos days myself but I dont mind the server whatever way it is (except of course taken off line  Sad) and as usual what starts off as suggestions just escelates into chaos and bad feeling.. do the right thing Nep and just delete this topic (i know started with good intentions)

Turril please dont take it personal (if possible) im sure the majority of posters where merely venting thier frustration about lvling up, remember that for years we were used to having things pretty much the same and now its tougher take the pixie line... if you dont like it then  Grin you know what comes next lol

I think ghost and co had the right of it and just let players get on with moaning and ignore the forums all together. I for one will keep playing no matter what (damn i knew i should have just left these damn forums alone) if you deciede to bring it back up again. Either way i dont blame you but i think being dm will always be a thankless task (mainly). Good luck to you if this is it..  Smiley
Psycholistic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 March 2009, 18:14 »

I play here because its a fun and (relatively speaking) an easy server.  
Level 1 to 20 takes no time at all.  Level 20 to 30 is tougher.  30 to 40 ... getting there.
Other servers I have played on - you are lucky to make level 30 during the server's life (with one character).  

Here are a few things that I like, but at the same time dislike in some respects:
PvP rules are great unless some jackarse wants to be an idiot stick (and unfortunately I do tell them when they are).

Mules are nice, but they do taint lower level characters.  
What I mean by this is a low level character gains items that he would never get unless given to him by one of the player's higher level mule pawns or from another high level character.  If its for a certain level range, then it should be made accessible to all in that range to make the pvp more reasonable.
If its suppose to be a high level drop, add mundane abilities to the item to make it a high level drop.  Instead I am seeing low level drops that are so mundane they are useless (especially weapons - the +5 bogus racial type ones when you figured maybe you found a decent one).  

We all know those powerhouse lvl 21s are made this way and all they do is drive the "new" players away.

Here is somethings I detest, but I imagine there is no correcting:

Playing both sides ... another cheap and easy ploy to gain items that a character on the other side shouldnt have.  Make the same items available to both sides and people may stay more loyal to one side (or maybe not).

Gondor is suppose to be good, Mordor is suppose to be evil.  
Play characters true to one side or the other.  Sorry ... its the roleplayer in me.  Half the Gonds out there would have been banished as evil in a proper setting setup.  

Go ahead, hate me, but I play Mordor for a reason.  Its the opposite of what I am in real life!  laugh

Overall ... good server that reminds me alot of DSO if anyone remembers that old PvP server.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2009, 18:18 by Psycholistic » Logged
Nep
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 March 2009, 18:25 »

hehe, I wanted to wait a little bit longer before replying but this is too much...

If I was ever to write a sociology paper, I'd have 100 examples to pick from in this thread.

First and foremost, I will not delete, lock, close this topic. Even though I believe it's winding down and it may have been the cause of many (if not all) the trouble, I don't believe merely closing this place will put the server back online. If it's deemed necessary to delete this thread, someone will do it. I won't.

The funny thing is that now, the people that spent HOURS contributing to this thread are seen as complainers, whiners, fun killers and more importantly they are blamed as the REASON why the server is down as the moment.
Sorry to disagree but the reason why it's down is because Turril flipped the switch. Not me or anyone else. Maybe he did it as fed-up move, as a punishment, or maybe as a don't-know-what-you-got-till-it's-gone... In any event, I didn't ask for it to get shut down and neither did anyone else in this thread.

So now, I'm sure all the heroes are gonna come out of the wood-works (like Arthura) and fire some snappy typical replies "see what you did!? Happy now?!"... and everyone will try to appease Turril so that we can go back to gaming and forget about this ugly thing...

So I think I'm gonna take the easy way out of this one. I'm gonna leave the forums and concentrate on playing, if the server comes back that is.

This has been a poor attempt by yours truly to improve the server and engage discussion. It's quite obvious by now I have failed to do so, I wish good luck in your future GvM forum adventures...

See you all online soon! (I hope)

Neptune, over and out.
Duke Landrunner

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07 March 2009, 18:27 »

Darn I really hate to see it go, I really enjoyed this server.  It was good fun to get a party of friends together and go adventuring. Even PVP got better since I now only get jumped one or twice a session instead of every screen.

I really enjoyed the new changes like the stealth Mobs, nothing like jumping back on this server from after a year break and being surprise to see 3 crag cats attacking from now where.  Areas I used to walk over now had a new challenge. The best part was seeing some old friends I use to party up with.

Well thanks for all the hard work you and your team did to create this world and keeping  it up. I enjoyed it to the end.

Psycholistic

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07 March 2009, 18:44 »

Hmm ... I shoulda read the whole forum.  I generally express myself on a forum and try to avoid bothering DM/GMs in general as I know full well what that is like. 
Still as a general rule of thumb, be it as a real life or a fantasy setting manager, there is certain criteria that should be used. 

As a fantasy DM/GM:

Do not reply to tells (post on forums is the reply ... always).

If you log on as a player.  Use a different name and never reveal you are a DM ... never!  On line friends are the worst.

Punt anyone who shouts obsenities ... instant.  If they do it again.  Punt their account.

Respond to forum posts as you feel fit and NEVER take it as a personal insult. 
Nobody knows you better than yourself.

I am sorry to hear the server is potentially done.
Hopefully you will post it to the public if it is, as I would love to grab some of the scripting (with all due credit of course).
RidersOfTheli

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 March 2009, 18:48 »

Why do I play?

The answer is simple: it is the best mod. (not perfect but still the best).

I started playing here a long time ago... a really long time ago, if you can't remember the tracks chars used to leave then i came here before you. I used to play in a good mod called Waterdeep, but it suddenly disappeared, then my quest for a fun server started till i got to GvsM and found a home.

I don't usually post... I prefer to spend my time playing. I enjoy the changes made, for someone that has been around for quite some time, new things are always welcomed. I really hope the server is put back on.
Noruas
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 March 2009, 18:51 »

I enjoy the change made, the DM team have made a great job...

ash nazg durbatuluk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nasg thrakatuluk,
agh burzum ishi krimpatul
Artuha

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 07 March 2009, 19:11 »

Sorry to disagree but the reason why it's down is because Turril flipped the switch. Not me or anyone else. Maybe he did it as fed-up move, as a punishment, or maybe as a don't-know-what-you-got-till-it's-gone... In any event, I didn't ask for it to get shut down and neither did anyone else in this thread.

So now, I'm sure all the heroes are gonna come out of the wood-works (like Arthura) and fire some snappy typical replies "see what you did!? Happy now?!"... and everyone will try to appease Turril so that we can go back to gaming and forget about this ugly thing...

So I think I'm gonna take the easy way out of this one. I'm gonna leave the forums and concentrate on playing, if the server comes back that is.

This has been a poor attempt by yours truly to improve the server and engage discussion. It's quite obvious by now I have failed to do so, I wish good luck in your future GvM forum adventures...

See you all online soon! (I hope)

Neptune, over and out.

Oh now i'm a hero  Roll Eyes And you're right it was Turril who flipped the switch off, but it was same Turril who started hosting the mod. So you better respect the efforts. He's not a Bioware employee and he owes us nothing

I have been avoiding the forum for a very long time -- nothing but frustrating here
Akuma-Demon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 07 March 2009, 21:03 »

I for one am not blaming you for the server going off line as i contributed as much as anyone. The ugly thing your refering to started out as a question then ended up having a go at ever change that has been made and then from there into everything that needs to be done to fix it.. (dejavu) its practically the same way the thread went when it was decided that the best thing was to wipe the server. Im sure even a noobie  Cheesy like you can remember that far back.

The forums over the past few months have been peaceful and cival (compared to the acidrain ones) but with one thread have reverted back to us and them (dms) bigtime.. Not your intention but im sure you can/could have just discussed your feeling with turril directly and he would have just told you the reasons he had to do certain things and like DM's everywhere someone has the final say.. e.g. him.

Given that after Ghost the server looked lost till Turril managed to get it up and running I think a bit more sensitivity and more pm suggestions would be better than everyone (minority) off loading onto the forums all at once fueling each other on with more and more complaints.

At the end of the day as has been said many times over the years we are playing on someone elses computer/server and if i was a guest on yours i sure as hell wouldnt be this whinging (and you sure as hell wouldnt put up with it).. we have been here too long (some anyway) and tend to take dms/staff and the server in general for granted.

Now you can call it ass kissing if you want but im not a kid and big enough to step back when i know im going too far.. thats all i was suggesting when i said just delete the thing (and bring it up with turril direct if you have complaints/suggestions) but thats up to you Nep not me, but hey what do i know...

Three (yawn) towns anyone!
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 07 March 2009, 21:09 »

Well I certainly didn't see this coming by a long shot.

It is really disappointing that this topic (and other factors, I'm sure) have "apparently" caused the server to be unplugged.  At the same time, I absolutely see where Turril is coming from.  The vocal minority has often been a source of frustration, even for others in the vocal minority.  This time, however, I'm not exactly sure what the deal was...

It seemed to me from reading everything that most of the conversation, even the calls for "changes" were all supported by primarily sound logic and legitimate reasoning.  I did not see anything outwardly inflammatory that might bring this sort of thing around...

I have to agree with Nep that a response from the powers that be would have shut us up pretty readily.  If you told us all "where to go" and said things were going to be how they were going to be until YOU felt the need to ask the community for their opinions, then we would've just shut up.  Or at the very least you could have silenced people...

When it comes down to it, the server should not be a democracy, period.  You are providing a service to us, the players.  We have essentially nothing to offer you for this service, and as such have no rights to complain.  And yet, you offer up this sort of outlet for us to "discuss", and we appreciate you for that reason.  Unfortunately, most of us "talking heads" don't know when to keep our mouths shut.  More often than not we tear everything down and pick it apart rather than being appreciative...

HOWEVER, I really do believe that much of the discussions lately have been much less volatile, and more critical(in the sense that we're offering criticisms[which contrary to popular belief is NOT a bad thing if done with respect]).  There has been far less name-calling and yelling and carrying on of late, and I personally thought things were looking up.  By and large you(the "Fantastic Team", as it were) were taking what the majority had to say about things and doing what you could/were willing to, and I for one appreciated it.  My own frustrations were mostly personal, and having to do with the player-base more than the server itself.

That being said, I am of the mind that saying "To hell with you ungrateful pricks" and unplugging the server is a tad childish.  I fully understand the mindset behind the action, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the action was rash (and I am loathing agreeing with Pinky in this regard).  I really hope that after a nice peaceful weekend with the family, you can calm down a bit and realize you don't need to listen to the ungrateful minority, myself included.

I'll leave it at that, and offer up my other "insights" in a medium where I won't offend 60-80% of the server - I'll send it in PM.

P.S. - I know I personally don't blame Nep for this, nor do I blame -this- particular thread.  And to those that do, and are acting self-righteous and seeking to placate anyone by expressing your appreciation and all the other nonsense, grow some balls and shove it up your asses, begging and kissing feet solves nothing.  Intelligent discussion is a far better course of action, which is what needs to be done in this case.

Turril
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 March 2009, 21:49 »

Lets get one thing straight..i did pulll the plug (well clicked the mouse actually) and there is not 1 specific person to blame on why i did. Neptunes thread here had all the right intentions and i actually do appreciate/consider other peoples opinions, and sugggestions. I only ever asked that it not become a whine./moan/bi*chfest. Ironically i barely read the old acid rain forums becuase that was what it had become. 
 I appreciate the pm's i have recieved from "please come back" to " you are being childish" LOL , yes sumbody thought those were the words to make me boot it back up. I didnt need my azz kissed telling me how wonderfull everything is. I dont live with rose coloured glasses on and dont expect anybody else too either) what i expected was the following:
 1. appreciation of the work that all the staff members do from resets and DP being put up to the building of new areas, or running an event.
2. realization that although changes may screw things up for a toon of yours there may be a reason you dont know about that such a change was made and before posting and complaining ask...
3. understanding that tryin to balance something like gvm is extremely hard.  and a couple scripts dont just fix that problem...and hours of work (again according to some post its a nice fast process)..(wish i had that pc that can compile/remove and update items/mobs etc so fast. each huge fix requrie the mod to be recompiled which in itself ties up my pc for about 2 hours. not to mention the time it takes to actually make the changes
4. recognition of the fact that i dont do this to make the mod miserable for you. Neither does any other member of the staff. some of you seem to think that for us it is all about making everything impossible and not fun. yeah we spend all our time trying to figure out how to screw the players. i mean after all having everybody pissed and not playing is the best way for us as DM's to enjoy the mod :/  great logic......sumtimes we underestimate the power of an npc chagnes get made...until it is about right....the only way we know if sumthing is to easy or hard is to watch the players trying to figure/kill stuff

If a mod is too easy....it gets boring....if it is too hard...it gets frustrating....too much exp...it becomes a joke (howards lotr) too little  it gets to time consuming.....it was had enuff to run a pen and paper campaign world with people you have known for years...try doing it online with vitual strangers as your partners, from different parts of the world with players that are just as distant and different. I could have gone the dictaor route (not my style) ignore p'ms, and forum postings. instead ...the unhappy want to run their own gvm please do, you usually make it so others dont enjoy their time anyways. Those that feel comfortable with the direction i was taking the mod (and i agree i couldnt go as fast as i want to either) i will restart the server.....those that arent happy need not log on.

If you have a suggestion, and a reason for it you may PM me, olle or terroble. If you want me to get it then pm me. I am going to go neptunes route. I am not coming on the forums to read anything but staff postings anymore. (well maybe pvp stats too)

p.s  thanks for the pm's and words of wisdom that were in them (well some of them)

parknutz
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 March 2009, 21:52 »

thank you thank you thank you.  Grin

No boot it up so i can kick your arse!
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 March 2009, 22:55 »

Turril you should go try a server in the action segment called Legends of Chance.

there you will find a DM/Head Builder/Scripter named Shine.

Shine reads every post, takes it all into consideration.

All changes are preposted so that the playerbase can decide whether or not it is suitable and give suggestions.

When things are added into LoC there is ALWAYS at least 3-4 forum threads that pop up with questions, complaints, congrats, and suggestions. Shine reads every last one and replies in every last one.

Guess what, its a flourishing server with amazing community and everything.

So i guess GvM is now yours and you can do with it as you please. But know this. Player donations kept this place alive for a VERY long time.

To implement such changes to the whole server with little to no community say is definitely dictating to say the least. Pulling the plug to show people who is boss is just another example.

You I thought were better than that. Olle, no. Ask any player, ANY. She gets a kick out of making things too difficult. You ask her why and you always get some one or two word answer that you can be certain was muttered in real life with at least a small amount of drool.

Do I and everyone else understand the amount of time it takes to balance things? Yes! Thats why everyone was like "wtf" when it got wiped. There goes 6 years of refinement. Lets start over!

No, bad idea. Had anyone actually asked any of the players who really knew the answer would have been quite clear.

Ass kissers will always be here, always. They are the fodder of the world.

But make no mistake, regardless of what anyone says, they were far happier with the server before. Stop making threats and people will be honest. Unless of course you dont want honest, you just want what you want and dont care what players think. People like KK are NOT loathe to agree with me in anyways, they are loathe to admit it in front of you due to fear. Fear of losing this server I guess, but its already pretty well lost anyways.

Either way, ban, delete my posts, whatever. The server has been more or less ruined. Not by you, but by the person you allowed to ruin it. I begged you almost a year and a half ago to NEVER let her have any sort of freedom with the mod. I left for 6 months and came back to find uber mummy summons and all sorts of ridiculous crap...and it just continued and continued. Other people tried to help....Terrorble is a great DM with GOOD ideas and a great understanding of balance....and RADE...wtf....RADE vs Olle.......is that a question? Really? Is it really just that much better to have what is essentially a real life mummy summon instead of rade working on the mod?

I'm sorry. But its hard spending so much time, effort, and money (pre-olle donations - wouldn't give a dime with her here) just to watch it fall so far from what GvM was. Now its just another server with a few familiar faces. it used to be unique, thats what made it great.
KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 March 2009, 23:11 »

Seeing as this topic is already derailed, let's put this further along.  I am loathe to agree with you pinky, regardless of who's watching.  And not because you're reasoning is ever unsound.  Because more often than most people think, what you have to say has actual relevance.  The reason I dislike agreeing with you is because you have no sense of decorum, pinky.  You have no concept of how to phrase things so that people don't hate you.  And while that works for you just fine, some of us prefer diplomacy.  We, or at least I, think its a little better to address those very same issues you bring up without pissing off most of the people who read it.

We might share your feelings on many issues, but a public setting is NO PLACE for direct personal attacks.  Its no place for coming out and literally calling people names.

Its sad that you act the way you do sometimes, buddy.  'Cause all in all you're a good player.  You're knowledgeable, you tend to have the heart at mind.  Its just your method that bothers us.  You have no idea how often I've stuck up for you, and you probably will never care.  But enough is enough.  Grow up and learn to be civil with people.

KrazyKuban
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08 March 2009, 15:38 »

. . .

Are you freaking kidding me, MasterThief?  I go off about this not being the place for that kind of childish nonsense and you think that it is okay to go ahead and do it anyway?  How does this solve anything?  It doesn't, that's how.  For shame MT.  Do me a favor and don't speak about what you don't know, kay?  Like I said in earlier posts, I hung/hang out with Pinky.  I know he can be a better person, and that's why "I bother".  I won't pretend to understand the inner workings of peoples' minds, but jeez, that right there puts you on the same level.

tonoplast
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 08 March 2009, 16:21 »

Enough with personal attacks! Make peace with the world.
Watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsYqnvvY3QI

and we shall learn from it.
destrug

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 08 March 2009, 16:58 »

in my previous post i stated that i dont like hidden, sneak attack creatures everywhere. i did not give a suggestion on how I wanted it changed. that is for the DMs to decide(if anything). but i was very frustrated by it. then turril states that many things where awakened with the new AI , that noone ever knew of. and that they are working on it and it takes time. (thats the jist i got, not trying to misquote). my frustration has been allieved. All it took was a little communication. knowing that the team is aware of problems and that they are working on it makes me feel better. And I believe they are working on it( I have not been "insta killed" by a DM and sent to hell since the wipe, so they must be busy) I am beginnig to believe that "lack of commuication" is what is causing frustration for many. They may express it in "bitch" form, but that may be the root of it. What, if anything, will be done about this? Again, that is for the DMs to decide. Choose well, for the fate of the server may depend on it.
notyou1
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 10 March 2009, 18:28 »

STOP!!!
This is ultimately Turril's world and server. If you want another copy there are some out there so I hear.
The LOUD minority needs to back off or move on. People are at their breaking points. You want to make it more fun, then shut up and play.

my 2 cents
 Tongue
Snake
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

When there is Light....There is Darkness.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 11 March 2009, 09:48 »

....emotions are running wild....

anyone need a hug?......anyone?...anyone?

ive got two arms and i know how to squeeze

"If god wanted you to live, he wouldn't have created me."
notyou1
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11 March 2009, 23:59 »

a snake with arms?????.....that's evolution at work  Smiley
ShinsFortress
Poster

Beauty and the beast.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 16 March 2009, 03:09 »

Shins  Grin why you stop playing should be the question  Cry

That's easy.  Being on GvM had become more un than fun.

On a side note, I read with some bemusement a description/opinion of pinkpuff.  Sounded more like Maxx to me...

MORS VINCIT OMNIA
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16 March 2009, 22:23 »

rabbac you are a tool.

Always wanting to say something about someone else and how they speak or act when you do the same thing.

So how has the new alias been working for ya? Learn that from Kermit?

All in all I've always found you enjoyable however. If it wasn't for people like you I wouldn't have a pedestal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
Jump to: