Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23 April 2024, 19:20

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13123 Posts in 1337 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Hellball
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hellball  (Read 4424 times)
pinkpuff
Poster

View Profile
« on: 30 April 2009, 17:37 »

Maybe change it so that it doesnt hit everyone? I never liked the fact that the best spell in the game is unused due to poor parameters. Maybd change the damage types to 20d6 magical/negative. That would make it moderately better than a lvl 25 horrid.
bad_karma
Developer
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2009, 18:54 »

I agree with a change to this spell.. never took it.. and never will if it stays the way it is. And that would be a shame since it easily has one of the coolest graphics Tongue
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2009, 01:29 »

the graphics of it are so neat I crash about 1/4 of the times it's cast
charliebuckett
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2009, 18:12 »

Its a great pvp finishing spell.   Grin
Redaurora
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2009, 11:36 »

The PRC pack uses an alternate epic spell system where you gain epic spell slots at the rate of 1 per 10 pts of lore skill.

then you basically cast as a sorcerer from your epic spells known.

It's mostly done via scripting, but its seen the 2da files in use.

I get the impression it wouldn't be much different to get it to be done 100% via scripting though.

PS: they dont cost feats under this system, just a lot of xp and plenty of gold. (like they are meant to)

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm
http://www.nwnprc.com/nwn/index.html

Alternatively ask bioware to implement direct file downloads that are required to play on a server while browsing for servers in game, rather than having to do it slowly and manually. zz many security issues with this tho.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2009, 11:43 by Redaurora » Logged
calbrenar
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2009, 22:19 »

the graphics of it are so neat I crash about 1/4 of the times it's cast

-makes a note to mem hellball before pvping with Terror-
azurerogue
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2009, 22:27 »

I think the problem with trying to introduce pen and paper D&D Epic Spells into a server like GvM is that D&D is a game based around players working cooperatively to take down enemies set forth by the DM.  GvM has that feature, but it also has PvP.  You think mages are lame now?  Introduce Vengeful Gaze of God onto the server and watch the PvP suicides begin (especially because, if it's handled like I think it would be) the caster would get a kill and die (a drawback, but you'd still get exp, a kill for that character, and no reward for the enemy).  

305d6 magical damage is a big number to throw around.  That's 305-1830 damage.  Yes, it's an incredibly difficult spell to develop, and it's costly...  but it's also amazing.  Epic Spells in pen and paper are just that, epic - they're meant to make the players feel like they are almost demi-gods (in fact, some of the spells are so powerful that they are several times better than demi-god abilities).  That's not something that should ever be introduced to a PvP server, in my opinion.  Introduce PRC epic spells and no one will ever want to roll anything but a mage again (unless they want a challenge, that is).  

The one spell from the PRC I would like to see (only because it is hilarious) is Mass Penguin.  

Account Name: .denikrut
Redaurora
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2009, 11:18 »

Yeah, mass penguin and audience of stone wtb ^_^

About vengeful gaze of god, check out the spellcraft DC, it basically requires a whole city of clerics working together to cast it, and the one of them actually directing the spell dies from backlash damage.

You basically get 1 epic spell slot per 10 lore points, to learn the spell you need to expend lots of GP and XP (in the case of gaze of god, its 3.7 mil gp and 150,000 xp), and you need to meet the spellcraft check to learn the spell, AND also each time you cast the spell.

So to cast (the real) hellball youd need minimum spellcraft of 89 to cast it successfully every time.

check is spellcraft + d20 vs dc

it also costs 200 xp, and you take 10d6 damage, basically hellball is a bad spell either way ;p

Of course, theres other ridiculous options, sometimes you need inspiration for ideas for changes to be made, and what other people are using is always interesting to look at.

By all means, if its not good, don't add it =))
« Last Edit: 16 August 2009, 11:36 by Redaurora » Logged
NLawson
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2009, 15:28 »

305d6 magical damage is a big number to throw around.  That's 305-1830 damage.  Yes, it's an incredibly difficult spell to develop, and it's costly...  but it's also amazing. 

Just one point....just one.

On good or evil aligned toons, a smiter can hit that with almost no problem. Take maybe 33 smiter levels and 7 WM lvls and all the great smite feats you can fit, and you've got an increased threat range and multiplier so any crit has at least 3 rolls for damage, which combined with the smite of between 250-330 damage depending on great smite feats taken makes one MASSIVE hit. The x3 multiplier would take that to 900 odd damage. With x4 that would be 1200, and with x5 (scythe, as you all know) it would be about 1500.
I heard from Daccid that he tested a smiter in his own little training-mod-thing and he managed to get a smite-crit of 2500 damage.

Granted, smite can miss...but you get three shots for free every day. The 305d6 magical damage would cost you big-time, and when you're talking about such large numbers, the average resistances of 5/- (magical) and 50/+20 (epic warding) don't make much difference. Well epic warding would. For the first one.

I know I write long posts, but you would think if something was important there would be a lot to say about it, no?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: