Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 03:57

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Future Talk (Moderator: Rade)  |  Experience Point Bank
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Experience Point Bank  (Read 6114 times)
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« on: 28 December 2009, 16:29 »

I am pleased as a gvm player by all the work done latley by our remaining staff of developers. Kuddos Y'all very nice area work in many areas especialy Mirk wood north {beron}, house of the dammed, dolguldur remake, ossgiliath remake.

Love the Bg and Druid and DD class changes The summons tweaks and wm dual wepon upgrades  All these are very cool changes made to a D@D 3rd edition based game whose main strength is its flexability and ability to encorparate player created content. A area That GvM has excelled at.

That said the changes  also highlight one weakness of this system and that is the obsoletion or degradation of certain builds after changes are made.

A addition I would request to the module to balance this is a xp bank. The script is available in the vault, and the version I saw allows a toon to talk to the "bank" and the bank removes and stores that toons xp. It is then available to other toons on the same cd key on a 1 to 5 basis. So if you had a toon with 1mill xp who was now a second class citizen due to changes and upgrades made to the mod, You could then delevel them to 0 xp and have 200k xp in the "bank" to help level a new toon of your choice.

I know Turril Terrorble , and Olliebrec You  have lives out side of nwn  and projects you  have sloted to work on for your nwn time but if this could be put on some ones to-do list I for one would love it Grin
Thiagow2008
Poster

Plays: Mordor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2009, 22:11 »

i didnt read all of this cuz i really dont have time right now, but if its what im thinking there wont be any new toons...

just get those old toons with almost 2 mil xp and give it to other toon lol, it would be too easy to reach lvl 40
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2009, 23:54 »

For you maybe.  Cheesy

I totally see where Endless is coming from.  Everyone has at least a few chars who they essentially use as mules because they just aren't very interesting to play or changes have run them down.  Why not be able to apply some of that XP over?
janngus
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2009, 01:43 »

I think it's an excellent idea Cheesy
AzQuack Reborn
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2009, 21:24 »

I see some flaws to this idea, mainly because a mod that I was an admin and developer for in the past tried to (unsuccessfully) apply this idea. The issue is that some builds will always be more effective at leveling and grabbing large amounts of exp.

For example: mages have a good time leveling once they recieve their AoE death spells up until a certain level.

A prime example of this would be an Implosion Cleric that can easily level up to lv 40 in a short period of time and continue to rack up exp after that.

I feel that this would create a climate where suddenly you would see a bunch of specialized toons that would be next to impossible to level in a true environment because this is an easy way to do so without having to death with it.

If you think about it, there are many implicit issues, even though the concept itself sounds nice and fluffy.
janngus
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2009, 22:53 »

Even with only 20% of the xp transfered, and 80% lost?

I think it's hardly worth it.
AzQuack Reborn
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2009, 19:57 »

Even with only 20% of the xp transfered, and 80% lost?

I think it's hardly worth it.

There are builds that are just plainly that big of a pain in the arse. Further more there are people with 5-6 toons that fall into this category of being candidates for recycling. In that case you might find those people popping up with such toons by recycling a few of their existing toons. Not necessarily suggesting that people would active use it as a method to make cheese toons, but the potential is there, and lord knows some people have WAY too much time on their hands.
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2010, 01:53 »

Biggest cheese I can think off off hand is say a high con/wis, barb-druid-shifter. Going for edr and mighty rage on a construct shape. It would be very tough to level in the 20's to mid 30's if you took 20 barb lvls first to max ab. but even if you dumped 1 mill xp you would get  only to mid 20s in lvl.

Over all I see this as a good idea and even inferior in  cheese potential to our old relevel policy of 5 levels relevel -1 level too the toon.

Btw I see alot of lvl30 pms lately a toon I would have conidered very difficult to lvl.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2010, 02:06 by Endlessorrow » Logged
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 January 2010, 03:36 »

We have looked into this and have decided to implement this with extreme limits.  evil6

Details come later.  laughing6

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Abimael
Poster

What can change the nature of a man?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2010, 05:57 »

This is a nice idea, since we've all been through those times when we had that "lamp" idea of a build but didnt continue after we've also considered how awesomely hard it would be to level them. But, as always, it needs careful discussion.

I'll raise another problem of it to think about: what about the xp excess after lvl 40? Will those count over the xp tradeoff or only the 780k needed to level to 40 will?
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2010, 15:56 »

The potential as a cheese-build production method is certainly there.  I feel if you want to use it to level your dragon farmer to 36 or your PM summoner to 40, then go ahead.  It benefits everyone essentially based on how much they play - doesn't bother me... it would have in the past, but not anymore.

At a 20% exchange rate, you could level a char to 25 which takes anywhere from a long day to a few days.  At that point you have 325,000 xp.  You'll need 666,000 xp for level 36 (I think) which is 341,000 more.  You'd have to bank 1,705,000 xp just to add those 11 levels.  That's burning up more than 2 level 40 chars. 

Whether it is restricted or not, 20% is just a way to get something out of a char you no longer play as opposed to nothing.
ollebroc
GvM1 Admin
Poster

Plays: Both Factions

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2010, 17:09 »

We're gonna start at the bottom and see how it goes. For now these are the limits:
  • 10% exchange rate
  • Must be level 30 to deposit XP
  • Can't raise a character no higher than level 20
  • No mules can use this
  • XP over 40 still counts

That'll slow down the cheesy builds.  bs

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Turril
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2010, 16:01 »

another option we will look into is tagging a specific toon that donates exp so he cant donate again. and possibly make this more for taking xp from toons you dont play by requiring the bank to remove all exp from said donating toon..making him lvl 1 ..again really limits the cheese factory Cheesy
Lief
Poster

Plays: Gondor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2010, 20:43 »

Howdy all,

I am no longer one of those people that have a lot of time to play.  Roll Eyes Fortunately or unfortunately, I still play way too much GvM. Anyway, I have "a couple" toons that are no longer "fun" and/or are no longer "uber" under the the current server rules regarding class, spells, abilities and the like. However, I am hesitant to use the services of the xp NPC in the bank map because:

1. there is the possibility of a different conversion rate under what Turril just stated;

2. I am not sure whether I should wait for the new classes to become available (Olle said that this is/might be in the distant future) or to deposit xp and to withdraw them onto some new toons that are in the pipeline; and

3. I am not sure which toon (under development) should be allowed to withdraw the xp since I first neeeeeeeeeed to get my greedy hands on some of the gear of: Bard in the Dale, the dwarf bosses in the lonely mountains as well as other bosses.

On the other hand, I don't mind leveling up toons. Part of the excitement for most builds (i.e. not a dragon toon and not a 30 PM toon) is the challenge of trying to surive before you can put on the level 20+ gear. But, we all have to decide on how to use this xp bank for ourselves.

See ya in there!

Lf
schlix
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2010, 23:26 »

i like Turril's last suggestion. i have so many toons between 10 - 20 that were mistakes, it would be nice to recycle their xp. and this would limit exploits by crafter toons, and maintain the incentive of going out & doing quests for party xp.

another option, if its possible, could be to give say 1.5% for every 100k experience above level 40.

but keep the 1:1 exchange rate for toons below 40 if its a full xp transfer. i think this would bring back players who can't/don't play as much b/c of time constraints (like Marcus).

just some thoughts...

The closer you are to danger, the further you are from harm. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: