Gondor vs Mordor 2 logo
Home Forum Wiki Map Downloads
Become part of the community!

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 April 2024, 17:39

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
News Box
Welcome to (Gondor vs Mordor)².

Key Stats
13122 Posts in 1336 Topics by 1240 Members
Latest Member: azihohaloyen
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Gondor vs Mordor  |  Gondor vs Mordor 1  |  GvM1 Character Builds  |  Help Me Tweak This Char Build Please :)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help Me Tweak This Char Build Please :)  (Read 4469 times)
Roost 12

View Profile
« on: 01 May 2010, 17:45 »

The Battling Citadel of Moradin - built by grizzled_dwarflord

Rogue10/Fighter4/Dwarven Defender26

Playable: 1-40, PvM
Race: Dwarf
Alignment: Any Lawful

Attributes
Str15 (26)
Int14
Wis8
Dex14
Con18 (22)
Chr6

Level Guide
1 Rogue1, Luck of Heroes
2 Rogue2
3 Fighter1, Toughness, Knockdown
4 Fighter2, Weapon Focus: Warhammer, Str16
5 Rogue3
6 Rogue4, Dodge
7 Rogue5
8 Rogue6, Str17
9 Fighter3, Improved Knockdown
10 DwD1
11 DwD2
12 DwD3, Blindfighting, Str18
13 DwD4
14 DwD5
15 DwD6, Improved Crit: WarHammer
16 DwD7, Con19
17 Rogue7
18 DwD8, Iron Will
19 DwD9
20 DwD10, Con20
21 DwD11, EWF: WarHammer
22 Rogue8
23 DwD12
24 Fighter4, WS/EWS: WarHammer, Con21
25 DwD13
26 DwD14, EDR I
27 Rogue9, Great Str I
28 DwD15, Str20
29 DwD16
30 DwD17, Great Str II
31 DwD18, EDR II
32 DwD19, Str22
33 DwD20, Great Str III
34 DwD21
35 DwD22, EDR III
36 DwD23, Great Str IV, Str25
37 Rogue10, Crippling Strike
38 DwD24
39 DwD25, Great Con I
40 DwD26, Epic Prowess, Str26

Combat Vitals
AB: 40/35/30/25 (x3/19-20)
AC: 30 (Plate & Shield)
HP: 692
DR: 27/-

Saves
Fort: 29 (35)
Will: 22 (28)
Reflex: 22 (28)

Skills
Discipline: 43 (51)
Tumble: 40
UMD: 37 (35)
Listen: 43 (42)
Craft Armor: 15
Craft Weapon: 10
Spellcraft: 18 (20)
Heal: 6
Lore:6
Search: 10 (11)
Open Locks: 6
Unassigned skill points: 43

This build was taken from this place. Text in red is what I am NOT going to use. Mainly skills which I think are useless on this server. Introduction is set, now let's go to the buisness at hand. Smiley

• Can you see any possible improvements to the build, keeping in mind DwD PrC has been buffed here?
  • I am thinking of going with a Morningstar because it deals two damage types. Keeping in mind low strength and no WM, I won't be able to force through NPCs' damage resistance of a chosen weapon. So a morningstar should acctually deal more damage even though its critical multiplier is only x2.
  • Is final ab of +51 (+6 from +12str buff, +5 weapon) going to cut it or is it too low, especially since he will have no Taunt?
  • Where would you put those 43 skill points? So far I have been thinking about these options:
      1. variant: Invest 40 points to get 20 Taunt ---> useless since those lvl 40 mobs have high DC
      2. variant: Search+9 --> Search20, Concentration+34 (to help resist Taunts)
      3. variant: ideas?
  • On original site a lot of people suggest taking Improved Evasion instead of Crippling Strike, but I tend to aggree with the creator of this build. Evasion should do the trick just fine....or are Reflex DCs so high here that Improved Evasion is a must?

Ok, I hope I covered all niches I wanted to explore. If I think of more I will be sure to post them. Please help me transform this dwarf into a nugget of mithril.  Grin
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2010, 20:34 »

DD on this server gains a dodge AC, regen, and discipline bonus based on levels.  +1 dodge per 5 DD leves, +1 regen per 4, and +1 disc per 2 DD.

I like improved evasion more.  Crippling strike only works when you hit with a sneak attack, and that works better for Shadow Dancers or if you have a summon that draws attacks.

Morning star is ok.  Other weapons that have good availability and work:  warhammer, scimitar, longsword or any of the exotics: dwaraxe, bastardsword, katana. 

This build could be transformed to a DEXer with epic dodge and blinding speed for 50 rounds of haste 2x/day.  In that case, I would not get improved evasion since your reflex saves will be very high.

You should max out your heal skill.  Heal kits are still better than cure crit pots for healing.
10 search is ok, but there are items you can collect to boost your search skill to what you need it to be.  5 search is as good as 10 in that case.
You should only need about 25-27UMD.

Luck of Heroes at level 1 isn't completely necessary.  To take advantage of a server specific improvement for rogues - level16 rogues with alertness feat get Keen Sense for free.  You'd have to only do 22DD and maybe 2 fighter if you chose to do that, but Keen Sense is pretty good.  16 rogue also gets you 2 more rogue feats:  slippery mind is a good one.  If you do the keen sense route, I would consider working in epic skill focus listen or just go spot.

Gear: ghost sashes for improved invis concealment, the axe from eastemnet inn for see invis, find something to give UV, I would make some dispel wands, lesser spell breach, and get into the Bandit Lair and get a key to the store so you can buy tons of haste pots (you'll have enough rogue levels to qualify).  Oh and bless/aid pots in Moria.

I would be an evil/good alignment since there are items that you won't be able to use with UMD that require evil/good alignment.
Roost 12

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2010, 23:03 »

I don't like rogues for some reason so taking 16 levels of rogue is just icon_puke_r. It could be because their ab progression sucks. Yep, that's probably it. Roll Eyes It doesn't go with the dwarven theme. I agree Crippling Strike kind of sucks for a non-HiPSter.

Soon after I posted I realized you basically need only 2 levels of rogue in order to get Evasion. Why take 8 extra levels if you aren't getting Improved Evasion? 8 extra Fighter levels would allow for more feats. I am thinking of Energy Resistances. Grin Also, the reason I didn't put more points into Heal is because it's useless in combat. Concentration DC is so high your Heal skill won't help you. Now, out of combat, clicking Heal Kit one more time because your Heal is slow is no effort at all. ;)

I think I am not fully understanding what Keen Senses offer. Are they PvP-only feat? Because if that's the case I am willing to lose to HiPSters. Not a big deal. You can't win against all playing styles.

So to get 6 more rogue levels:
  • I gain:
    +2 more rogue feats: Slippery Mind/Defensive Roll and Improved Evasion
    +3d6 Sneak
    +Keen Senses
    +Skill points
  • I lose:
    -1 AC
    -1hp regen
    -2 disc
    -Iron Will (or some other pre-epic feat)
    -EDRIII / Epic Prowess (or some other epic feat)

Now, if I went Fighter12/Rogue2/DwD26 route I would:
  • gain:
    +1 more Epic feat
    +2 bab
  • lose:
    -4d6 Sneak
    -Rogue feat (Crippling/Improved Evasion)

Keeping in mind how ridiculously high discipline everyone has at lvl40, Improved Knockdown is not going to help a lot so Sneak is useless. But it would be nice in a group. Hmm, keep flooding ideas guys. I need more. Grin
Sancho29
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2010, 23:22 »

Good alignment,  so that you can fight mords.  That basically grants you 100x faster lvling via pvp xp.  Hahaha

Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Terrorble
GvM1 Admin
Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2010, 00:04 »

Keen sense is very strong against HiPSing NPCs, rather I should say, HiPSing mobs can tear you up without it.  It's the feat elves have that keeps them in permanent detect mode.  You're right though, 16 levels takes away from what the build really is.

13fighter/22DD/5Harper Scout can be pretty decent.  The HS potions can really make up for a lot of AB/AC in harder places and it's still tough otherwise.  I don't recall if I did EDR feats on that one.

12ftr/26DD/2rogue is a pretty solid grunt.  It doesn't have great abilities in any one area like high AB/AC/damage/...

Less rogue levels will hurt your overall skill points.  Taking rogue at level 1 gives you many more skill points than taking ftr.
Endlessorrow
Poster

Aka Fellelves

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2010, 08:22 »

loose all pre epic rouge levels  +2 ab  from your listed build. Bettere yet  loose all rouge levels and go  ftr 13 dd22and harper scout 5{all harper scout levels to be in epic levels}  you will mbe able to make and use potions to boost your ab and damge by 5 and your ac by 8. you loose evasion.... big deal  your dex save was gonna be low anyway.  so with 10 fighter and 10 dd pre epic, and harper potions and aid bless potions you would pull 60 ab instead of 51.  51 ab is trash 60 ab is barley acceptable, 

You will be able to sort of tank  you will never be able to tank big hitting bosses with out crit immune or a massive concealment from like 30 sd lvls or 28 assassin levels  but your ac and dr will be good enough to handle most any mobs as a ftr dd harper scout.

your skills will be lessened  you will have to cross cless some things like persuade to 6 ranks and you will need the feats alertness and iron will.   so the important skills will be
 1. discipiline
 2.tumble
3.concentration, to many taunters will ruin your good ac
4.heal you will have awsome concentration  take heal to go with it.

your ab isnt going to make you much of a kd. guy loose the kd feats and pick upimproved expertise  10 more ac to be used when you are acting as a party tank your ac will be 73 with +6 plate +6sheild ring ammy  and +4 boots +4 haste +8 from harper pot +8 from tumble  +4 from dd levels you can max dodge ac with out using stance that way. and pull 83 ac in improved expertise.   improved expertise will stay in effect while you heal kit your self . 83 sounds good and it is but against some of these bosses they will still be crittinc once or twice per round for 300 points or more damage so beware who you voulenter to tank  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 08:35 by Endlessorrow » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to: